Thread: Lost my mind, shot a 300 Wby Mag rapid fire. I'm old enough to know better but...

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin

Lost my mind, shot a 300 Wby Mag rapid fire. I'm old enough to know better but...

Had some issues with my brothers Ruger M77 30-06. Using the 180 gr rounds I use with my gun I was all over the target, call it a 12" pattern, the word 'group' does not apply.

I got some 165's and went out and no joy, wasn't even on target. Today I put up a 25 yard target and couldn't see the front bead. I don't remember those front beads being so small 30 years ago, I guess they are saving money by using less material to make them so they are smaller now. A little white out and the bead was visible to foggy old eye balls. 2 rounds fired and both were in the bullseye. Took it out to the 100 yard range dragging my Weatherby Mk V 300 mag along because sometimes it just needs to be shot. That and the whimpering and a large tear dribbling down the stock persuaded me to bring it along.

4" horizontal group 6" above point of aim with the 06 and I am closing in on zero. Pulled out the Weatherby and fired 2 shots at the sighting target and had 2 holes touching 1" above point of aim which is where I set this gun so zero has not changed in a year.

I still had 3 rounds laying on the bench and I took on a case of the goofy's. Loaded them up in the rifle, set the forearm on the Caldwell bag and then as fast as I could work the bolt I shot those 3 rounds. My plans for shooting the lever actions have been set back a day.

I am on a campaign to shoot every gun in the house and clean them before snow flies and that's a fair amount of shooting and cleaning. I'm pretty sure I won't be doing this rapid fire stunt again, at least not without putting on a shooting jacket first. It was an eye opener.

http://www.gunsnet.net/photopost/dat..._V_100_yds.jpg
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by old Grump; 09-15-2010 at 10:17 PM.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Be careful Grump.

My Grandad is always hurting his right arm, has to keep getting surgery.

Don't keep injuring yourself trying to be an old badass.

I lernt a couple of years ago that 1-2 rds through any belted magnum rifle is about all I could stand. They can keep them hard kickin sunsobitches, I'll stick to usual fare of .270 & .308 thank you very much. In case you're wondering, yes I'm a recoil wuss and proud of it!
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

I sold my 300 win mag biggest I have is 270 and x54

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I prefer to shoot the hard kickers either off hand or in an upright postion with only the forend rested - to allow my body to move with the recoil a bit. Much much more comfy than locking in with the buttstock rested (for best accuracy)....

Here's a vid of me shooting my 95 Winchester with Hornady factory rounds - offhand... 1/2 speed slo-mo:

Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 09-16-2010 at 10:42 AM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Here's a vid of me shooting my 95 Winchester with Hornady factory rounds - offhand... 1/2 speed slo-mo:
    Nice bunch of recoil and good recovery there.

I didn't really set out to do rapid fire but I got back on target so fast I just kept shooting and then again and of course the magazine only holds 3 rounds. I was pleasantly surprised this morning to not see a bruise on my shoulder but the joint is sore and my plans for hand guns and lever actions got put on hold for another day. Fortunately its raining or I would have gone out anyway.

I never never never ever shoot the .348 or the 10 gauge from the bench but I was checking zero and from the results it was a good check. I do not recommend it though. I never got thumped like that from the bench shooting my M1 or my .308. I'm framing this target.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

308 is about as heavy I go anymore, there's just no need around here to go any bigger then that.

That .405 is the one gun I wanted to own since I was a kid .

One day .

Quote Originally Posted by abpt1 View Post
    That .405 is the one gun I wanted to own since I was a kid .

One day .
    A young TR eh?

That reminds me of the 700 nitro video.....

The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I prefer to shoot the hard kickers either off hand or in an upright postion with only the forend rested - to allow my body to move with the recoil a bit. Much much more comfy than locking in with the buttstock rested (for best accuracy)....

Glad to see someone else like the heavy stuff. That made my day.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Quote Originally Posted by Moebrown20 View Post
    That reminds me of the 700 nitro video.....

Stupid phone won't let me see the video, I won't be able to see it until I get home and fire up the laptop. But if it's the one with the little arab dude getting knocked across the room, that was a .577 T-Rex. Still not one I'd like to go rounds with.

The last belted magnum I shot was a .338 ultra mag. Only shot it once, then had to walk 20 ft behind me to pick up what was left of my shoulder. Shot that standing up, BTW. That was enough for me.

ETA: Yup, that's the same video I got off the .577 T-Rex website about 5 yrs ago. Could be a .700 Nitro, but it's still funny as hell to watch them little a-rabs getting tossed around the room by that sumbitch, regardless of which rifle that is.
    Last edited by hazmat; 09-17-2010 at 11:32 AM.
    How do you compromise with someone when their idea of compromise is to give them what THEY want?

Thunder River Home

NRA Lifer since Apr 2009

Political correctness is a doctrine, fostered by a delusional, illogical minority, and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a turd by the clean end.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    I'm pretty sure I won't be doing this rapid fire stunt again, at least not without putting on a shooting jacket first. It was an eye opener. [/url]
    DAYUM O.G.!

Bet that left a mark.