Thread: Self-Defense Shooting is NOT Bullseye Shooting

Self-Defense Shooting is NOT Bullseye Shooting

When I was a new shooter, I obsessed over putting every round I shot into the bullseye (ok, sure, I still do!), but ... it is very important to understand the difference between self-defense accuracy, or "combat accuracy," if you will, and putting rounds in bullseyes.

The adrenelin is pumping, everything is a blur, you are afraid, shocked and scared for your life....the goal is to get rounds into center mass.

To put it bluntly, putting as many holes in the center mass of an assailant is the BEST WAY to stop a threat. Obsessing over trying to get all the shots into the same hole is actually going to slow you down in a self-defense situation where the goal is always: TO STOP THE THREAT.

Here's a video explanation of the concept. Simply put, if you are getting rounds into a center mass area that is about the size of your open hand, or thereabouts, you are doing just fine.

VIDEO HERE.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

thats why i enjoy practical pistol shooting. your accuracy means nothing, its all about your time.

I'm not sure I'd be willing to say "accuracy means nothing" ... speed is fine, accuracy is final, and all that.
    Last edited by Amsdorf; 06-23-2013 at 02:54 PM.

Reminds me of the old saying....

"Speed is essential, Accuracy is crucial"
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Yes, that's why it's always good to work on your point shooting not just using the sights.

Chances are in most SD situations you're not gonna have time to line up the target in your sights anyway.