Thread: Took the new to me Mini 14 out Wednesday.

Took the new to me Mini 14 out Wednesday.

Wednesday is guys night at the range. Small turn out. But my son has been asking me to take him for awhile. Brought two ar's, polish underfolder. Ruger .44 mag pistol and Ruger Deerfield in .44 mag, and a few .22 rifles.

Small turnout. Range owners and a few others. We were the only ones shooting. I must say that I was really impressed with the Ruger Ranch rifle. Even with the 40.00 red dot browning optic on it. I was hitting 6 inch plates at 100 yards. Consistently. Even out to 200 yards hitting man sized targets with ease.

Was getting ready to leave and range owner looks at our stuff and says. Man you travel heavy! Good time with my son, we shot maybe 300 rounds? Range owners said, not many shooters these days. People saving up their ammo. Themselves included. Sorry no pictures. Left camera at home.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Always a good time when you take your child with you and they have a good time as well.

True about the ammo. Way back in the days of $6 a brick of .22LR, 7.62x39 around $70 per case (1000 rounds) and 5.56x45 brass rounds about $140 my daughter and I would go through nearly 3000 rounds per range visit. I doubt I have shot half that much in the three times I have gone shooting this year.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Good for you!

I'm still shooting too. Last time was with my son. We shot 100 rounds of 9mm(G17), 50 rounds of 45ACP(Springfield 1911), prob 200 rounds of .22LR (Ruger MkIII) and 120 rounds of 5.54 (SAR-2).

I'm going to continue to shoot- but probably .22LR and some other round - maybe 20 rounds - like 44 Mag. I've been thinking of shooting the cap and ball's some - hard to get much more than 5 cylinders shot from them - takes a long time to load!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

When I started going to this range, Wednesday nights there would be about 30 people there (15 years ago) EVERYONE was friendly. And everyone shared their guns and ammo. Real good times. We brought my son's first rifle. A Henry Mini bolt in .22. We both had a great time shooting that.

The Range is an old quarry that used to be a professional range. But has turned into the guys getting away from wives/girlfriends for the night. Bottled beer is involved for the non shooters. Empty bottles are tossed into the pond at the bottom of the quarry. Targets galore! There are also several steel targets. And a pistol range set up. I have known the guys for awhile. I have a key so I can go when ever I want. But Son wanted to go past Wednesday night.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

That's a great situation! Hope it lasts for you.

I'm very fortunate that I've got my own range. It's just to 125 yards right now but I'm going to clear some trees and move the steel press plate back to 200 yards when I get the time.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

It's not a bad deal at all. Two brothers own the range. Their family has been in the quarry business for some time. Their Grandfather was a Dr. during WWII and assistant to General Mc Garther. The one brother has a .45 pistol that was given to his grandfather from the General. With the letter authorizing it Kinda coo.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Always a good time when you take your child with you and they have a good time as well.

True about the ammo. Way back in the days of $6 a brick of .22LR, 7.62x39 around $70 per case (1000 rounds) and 5.56x45 brass rounds about $140 my daughter and I would go through nearly 3000 rounds per range visit. I doubt I have shot half that much in the three times I have gone shooting this year.
    Don't you wish you had that ammo back now?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I wish I had passed on a few rifles and kits and bought more ammo when cheap...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Memories are priceless.

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

I'll bet I haven't shot 200 rounds of my own ammo this year. When the prices become more reasonable, I'll start shooting more. When people want to come over to shoot, I ask 'em to bring their own ammo, or I order it for them and give 'em the invoice.