Thread: Range Day-Pics

Range Day-Pics

I went to the range today and decided to "test" one of my sets of body armor. This is an old Point Blank vest. Its dated 1988. We had some 115 grain fmj 9mm, some 230 grain fmj .45ACP, and some 158 grain .357 magnum sjhp. After the session I took the vest apart layer by layer. It stopped everything. Amazing. I thought I'd post some pics just in case any one else was interested.

Face your fear, accept your war.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Very Nice!

I need to get me some armor this year.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Oh yeah...I hit it with some #4 shot out of my Browning A5 16 G. You can see some shot rolling around there too.

VERY cool. 32, I'd very much like to know a definitive answer as to what the Iguilla I.Q. 45 ammo would do to body armor. For the sake of posting a pic, it's this stuff:

I've got a bit put back. If you could do the testing I'd love to send you 5 rounds for the research. What do you say?
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes, that round is super hot in speed, 1700 fps range. Being made out of Zinc I have wondered if it could cut through.

I'd have been happy to do the test for you, however I don't have another vest that I want to shoot up. If those are achieving 1700fps, they are approaching rifle rounds. From what I saw yesterday though, the hollow points would expand and/or fill with material. It would be interesting. If you do have an opportunity to run the test please post your results.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

I'd be interested in how 7.62x25 would do. They're moving along at 1500 fps - 90 grain fmj bullet.

Thanks for the pics!!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    I'd be interested in how 7.62x25 would do. They're moving along at 1500 fps - 90 grain fmj bullet.

Thanks for the pics!!
    The tokerv round will go through level III soft body armor supposedly, like an icepick.

The 5.7x28 will also...supposedly.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    The 5.7x28 will also...supposedly.
    Only the special rounds that FN will only sell to military and law enforcement. The stuff you buy off the self at your local gun store shouldn't.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

I bought a set of these coated plates for a plate carrier that I gave to my son. Pretty heavy but he is young.

Quote Originally Posted by Viking350 View Post
    I bought a set of these coated plates for a plate carrier that I gave to my son. Pretty heavy but he is young.

THAT was impressive. How much did that plate cost?

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    THAT was impressive. How much did that plate cost?
    I believe prices have gone up a bit. I got in on a group buy when he first came out with the coated plates. I paid $145.98 delivered for two curved coated plates. They weigh around 7 lbs each. I wouldn't want to hump them around all day, but for that price I figured it was cheap insurance. Here is a link to his page now for the items I bought.

http://www.thetargetman.com/product/...ag-protection/
    Last edited by Viking350; 07-02-2013 at 08:51 PM.

I believe prices have gone up a bit. I got in on a group buy when he first came out with the coated plates. I paid $145.98 delivered for two curved coated plates. They weigh around 7 lbs each. I wouldn't want to hump them around all day, but for that price I figured it was cheap insurance. Here is a link to his page now for the items I bought.

You bastige, you made me work for it but I found the source. The Target Man dot com. I may have to get a set of these.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    You bastige, you made me work for it but I found the source. The Target Man dot com. I may have to get a set of these.
    LOL. Sorry Schuet. I just added the link a few minutes ago. They went up a bit in price, but still cheap insurance. You could get a set comprised of one formed for the front and a flat for the back. That would cut the cost $12. Here is the link for that.

Last edited by Viking350; 07-02-2013 at 09:01 PM.

LOL. Sorry Schuet. I just added the link a few minutes ago. They went up a bit in price, but still cheap insurance. You could get a set comprised of one formed for the front and a flat for the back. That would cut the cost $12. Here is the link for that.

I just saw the following on FB from The Target Man:

10% off all orders through midnight July 4. Coupon code "Independence". Have a happy and safe 4th and remember freedom isn't free!

I just saw the following on FB from The Target Man:

10% off all orders through midnight July 4. Coupon code "Independence". Have a happy and safe 4th and remember freedom isn't free!
    Trying the code with an order and it says "Sorry, this coupon is not applicable to your cart contents." So something is fubar, their online ordering is not honoring the discount code.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Trying the code with an order and it says "Sorry, this coupon is not applicable to your cart contents." So something is fubar, their online ordering is not honoring the discount code.
    His post didn't say anything about restrictions. I copied his entire post when I posted it here. Maybe it applied to targets only and not the armor. Sorry man.

Guess I'll wait till new years or something, when ever they have another special on them. They said it was some sort of glitch the man in charge said but I never got it resolved.