Thread: 1895 Russian M91 Stock and Import Question

1895 Russian M91 Stock and Import Question

Hi all,

I have found a Mosin Nagant M91 from 1895. The stock is blonde and seems to be in near unissued condition. However, it appears to have been made from two pieces of wood (It does have a cartouche on the rear of the stock from which I can't find anything about on the web). Also, it is not import marked. Any ideas on how this got into the United States and any idea of how original this stock is? One theory I have heard is that it was a GI capture and then the GI cutdown the stock to bring it back in his duffle bag (Maybe brought two cutdown stocks.)

Here's a link

http://s1363.photobucket.com/user/be...?sort=3&page=1

Thanks in advance!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Welcome to Gunsnet!

It's not a cut down stock it's a Finnish stock. They made them in two pieces with the finger joints to help prevent warping in the cold Finnish winters. You can also tell it's Finnish by the sling hangers. Russians just had the leather sling ends that went through the slots in the stocks. Check the receiver area for an SA stamp which is what Finland used on captured weapons. Not sure the stock is "unissued" but it is quite clean, maybe a little dry too. You might find an import mark on the bottom of the barrel near the muzzle. If no marking any where it might just have got missed in the stamping process. Either way a nice find
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Definitely Finnish as Richard pointed out. Definitely not unissued and minty, somebody's sanded off the old finish. It should be a dark reddish brown. The clue is the cartouche on the buttstock, the entire rifle's stock should be as dark as that mark. Somebody ... improved it (in their mind) and actually hurt it's value I'd estimate by $150 bucks at least. All Finnish Mosin Nagant rifles are built from captured Russian rifles. When the Russian Revolution went down the Czar called back most of the Imperial troops that were stationed in occupied Finland. The skeleton garrisons left behind were soon overrun by Finnish troops and 10's of thousands of rifles were captured. The Finns rebuilt them with new stocks, always 2 piece with the finger joinery and often by putting on heavier barrels and better sights.

Lastly, welcome to Gunsnet.

Thanks I really appreciate the response and the knowledge! Is there any way to "restore" the old finish to this rifle? I always like the reddish colored stocks. Thanks again!

Quote Originally Posted by behlftball View Post
    Thanks I really appreciate the response and the knowledge! Is there any way to "restore" the old finish to this rifle? I always like the reddish colored stocks. Thanks again!
    Sure there is but do you have any experience doing wood refinishing? The originals were probably finished in Shellac that is tinted. http://www.shellac.net/ShellacPricing.html Look around on this site. The color should be a dark reddish tinted brown, Mahogany is close to this in nature. I looked at your images again and noticed the top of the stock running down the sides of the barrel are the original color as well as the cartouche. Use those as a color match guide. If there is any finish or oil on the blonde areas I'd take Citristrip finish remover and use that to strip it down to the wood. Then I'd go back with the Shellac of an appropriate color to be as original as possible. If you don't give a crap for original and just want to get close on the color with a modern finish then a Urethane type finish like a Minwax paste finish in a can would do the job. You can get that at a Lowe's, Home Depot or other Hardware type store.

The Finns also did some nice trigger work too!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

All of my Finn M91's had more of a boiled linseed oil finish. For one like yours with it's Finn stock I'd clean it real well with something like mineral spirits, let it dry then give it a light sanding with 0000 steel wool to knock down any fibers then apply several coats of boiled linseed oil. Just rub the oil in with your hand, getting it inside and outside the stock and let it dry for a day of two. Repeat for several coats then buff lightly again with used 0000 steel wool.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    All of my Finn M91's had more of a boiled linseed oil finish. For one like yours with it's Finn stock I'd clean it real well with something like mineral spirits, let it dry then give it a light sanding with 0000 steel wool to knock down any fibers then apply several coats of boiled linseed oil. Just rub the oil in with your hand, getting it inside and outside the stock and let it dry for a day of two. Repeat for several coats then buff lightly again with used 0000 steel wool.
    Yeah that will work but it will still be that hideous blonde look. None of the Finnish rifles that are original finish are blonde. I had a M27 bicycle trooper rifle that I purchased but it was sanded by the old geezer that owned it as he too wanted to "improve it" (rolling eyes here). I sold it as I just didn't want a Mosin that had been that dicked with. He needs to get the reddish brown color back into the wood. BLO is not a great finish, I would suggest Tunge Oil as it is not going to mildew if it stays damp for a while.

behiftball........if you havn't redone that stock yet....find some Toms Pine Tar Mix
    get to gettin!!!!!!!!!!!!