Thread: Ruger's New Model Blackhaw in 44 Special

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Talking Ruger's New Model Blackhaw in 44 Special

Just got through making a youtube of my Ruger New Model Blackhawk. What a sweet shooting gun! Have had this for some time now but I really do like it.

The camera angle makes me look like a gorilla lol
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Cast not casted and concentricity. Otherwise, nice vid. Oh and surprisingly smoky for smokeless powder.

Yeah, I know - brain farts. And the smoke is from the alox lube.

I don't reload, but I enjoyed your video. Nice range set up!
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I don't reload, but I enjoyed your video. Nice range set up!
    You should, but honestly it's almost too late to do that. No components to be found and when you can find them, jacked way up in price.

Schutz! It's never too late to get into handloading. The components are coming back into availability and prices will come back down...

Probably one the most sensible calibers to handload for are the big bore revolver cartridges - which are going for $40 or more for a box of 50.

Cast your own boolits and the price to reload comes down to a very economical level especially if you've already got the brass - then it's just your time, primer and powder.

Besides, when you handload, you can dial that load into your gun's preference and get the best accuracy or a specialty load not even available from the commercial packers.

I would get into it, probably starting with .38 Sp and 9mm. Nothing seems available. When I think of all the brass I have just discarded over they years...
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I would get into it, probably starting with .38 Sp and 9mm. Nothing seems available. When I think of all the brass I have just discarded over they years...
    Guys like you always make me happy at public ranges. I've picked up once fired casings by the thousands. OSOK has a point and I do cast my on bullets. Been casting projectiles since I was 14 years old, been reloading since I was 13. Common wheel weights you can get from tire and other garages that do tire installation. At one time it was all free but they probably charge for them now. I am still running off a ton of pure lead I purchased in 1994 at 45 cents a pound. Pure lead is too soft for handgun bullets, unless you alloy it with linotype or antimony and tin to create the equivalent of wheel weights.

Having been at this for so long I am aghast at what things cost anymore. Primers use to be 1 to 1.5 cents each, you'd be lucky to find them for less than 3.5 cents now. Powder used to be 8 bucks a pound, now closer to 20. I guess I'm turning into an old fart.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

Great video, i loved the part about the " concin....aah, concin....it's round " good job

I love those Ruger blackhawks, the only gun i've seen with as beefy a top strap is a Freedom Arms.

It looks like it is as hot there in Mississippi as it is here in Florida.