Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Travelling...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Paladin View Post
    When I was stationed at Ft. Head 3 or 4 decades ago, I used to make the trip to Nuevo Laredo upon occasion. I took more than a side arm too, usually a bunch o' buddies. Got an Army Buddy still in San Antonio; he says things are a lot more dangerous nowadays. Hey, is Boy's Town still up and running?
    Don't know never went ever.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post
    show your wife "Panic in Year Zero"

I have that on DVD. Great movie!
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

When Im going to Texas, I take a mag bag and a few rifles and a few pistols. More to shoot with my family for when Im there.
    When I went to california I just take a glock with 5-6 mags.
    When my band plays anywhere outside the city I take a carry gun...

Hmm.... thought I replied to this thread....

But as we approach 2012, I don't think the earth will explode, but if we do get gravitational affects from the sun getting closer to the center of the universal alignment, we might get more earthquakes and even some EMP flares from the sun...

I'll be damned if I get caught without a means to protect my family...

We went to Charleston a couple weeks ago for a summer vacation.... I brought an AR15 with 400 rounds of ammo, 1911 with 200 rounds of ammo, and a Beretta M9 with 200 rounds of ammo... also brought my .223 and 9mm suppressors.

It really didn't take up that much room as the AR was in a drag bag with extra mags and the pistols/ammo/suppressors were in a Brownell's shooting bag that I won, thank you gunsnet, last year...

My wife thought I was crazy too, but what the hey, I brought my toys and when daddy puts his foot down... I'm lucky mama didn't put hers up mine!

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    My wife thought I was crazy too, but what the hey, I brought my toys and when daddy puts his foot down... I'm lucky mama didn't put hers up mine!
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Last year I was working on the road doing costruction. Im from Michigan but the farthest I went was Arizona and I dint have shit with me at the time. We were in Phoenix in some really shitty areas. NEVER again! I got my CPL and along came G19 and G26 and 200 rds. I wanted a rifle with me, but for the sake of my dad working with me and rooming with me and the company would of terminated us if they found out about me having them. I didnt pack a rifle. But 2 pistols would of just had to do. I've since lost that job YAY! And rifle stays close, if you feel better or more warm and cozy with it, take it.

I really appreciate your input, Guys. I take my M4gery whenever I go on a trip. This year, my wife looks at me puzzled and said, "I know you're joking. Are you going to bring that to the beach? We're only four and a half hours from home." (I know... I pretty much explained this in the first post. But... speaking with her, I got the real reason.) In my vocabulary, "only" means Murphy WILL come into play. I have always carried my G22 + 200rds and the M4 + 500rds all in LBE. Wife never has a problem with the G22 and she carries her M&P 9C (HER choice) + 100rds (at MY insistence).

And now... the real reason:
    The biggest concern, from her point of view, is this… We always take a Family vacation. By Family, I mean me, Wife, and Children, my brother and his wife and kids, and our parents. Split the cost of the condo or cottage and pay our own ways all week. My Wife hates to have to listen to my Mother piss and moan about me bringing “all the firepower”. There is just no way to hide it. We have the only van so everybody rides with us and it is found if I leave it in there and seen if I try to bring it indoors... meaning… no hiding it. I have explained the reasoning for this but, well, some people just don’t believe the way I do.

I have already advised the bunch… rifle is going… any pissing and moaning this year… we go without them next year. Let’s see what happens.
    Last edited by Zoff12; 07-23-2010 at 06:21 AM.
    Skäl

I guess I might add, "And use you pistol to get to the other guy's rifle".
    You don't shoot a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    You don't shoot a lot.
    He he he...

Actually I was thinking about the "Liberator" 45s during WWII that were distributed to the resistance forces behind lines. The idea was if one didn't have a rifle one could use the cheaply made single shot pistol to get one. They came with 3 rounds of 45 and an instruction pamphlet. There was a "cartoon" series of pictures provided showing the pistol guy shooting the lone rifle guy in the head from ambush and taking his rifle.

As to my not shooting much, who knows...

Now as to consideration before I engage in linear thinking before I type, I got a leg up on that. Give it a try.

I live in San Antonio,I'm house sitting in San Marcos.I have my 870 police mag,my G21 and my Polish underfolder and at least 200 rounds for each.

I'm not packing heavy.

He he he...
    Very webbish.

Actually I was thinking about the "Liberator" 45s during WWII that were distributed to the resistance forces behind lines. The idea was if one didn't have a rifle one could use the cheaply made single shot pistol to get one. They came with 3 rounds of 45 and an instruction pamphlet. There was a "cartoon" series of pictures provided showing the pistol guy shooting the lone rifle guy in the head from ambush and taking his rifle.
    And where did they find lone guys where they could shoot them? Try a knife and avoid warning every patrol in miles there's an idiot to hunt.

As to my not shooting much, who knows...
    I do.

Now as to consideration before I engage in linear thinking before I type, I got a leg up on that. Give it a try.
    You might try putting your brain in gear before your mouth sport.

We haven't met before but we have now.

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post
    Very webbish.

And where did they find lone guys where they could shoot them? Try a knife and avoid warning every patrol in miles there's an idiot to hunt.

I do.

You might try putting your brain in gear before your mouth sport.

We haven't met before but we have now.
    Hey HDR, let's face it you opened your mouth without thinking and assumed your status online would be enough (sport?).

Anyway we had already met. You decided to introduce yourself with a derogatory post.

If you feel the need for personal satisfaction I'd be glad to oblige. Just email me and we can arrange to meet and integrate our differences in person.

In the mean time, when you address me, if you think before you type, you will not continued to be embarrassed...

Here's a little history on the liberator.

C'mon... let's get back on the subject. Please!
    Skäl

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    My girlfriends family is planning a big trip for next summer to Disney Land.We will be driving to Florida from Texas.I'm the only gun guy in this group and the only CHL holder.We are renting a house for all the families.I have been talking with GF and I'm trying to decide if I should take more than just pocket pistol.I was thinking of taking my polish underfolder and 6 mags,plus my standard carry pistol and 6 mags plus my gear I take to the deer lease.What do you think of this set up?

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    Certainly, my apologies, friend.

I have an issue rucksack (the jungle ruck before the three pocket nylon one). I can take-down the carbine and put it in the main bag with my 45 satchel that has 6 mags and cleaning kit. The two outside pouches will hold 6 30-round Pmags ea. The ruck stays like this for grab and go. The only decision I end up making is shotgun, yes or no...

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Long extended trip I always had my 45 and my 44 mag and that was it. If I couldn't handle an emergency with 7 rounds of hardball and 5 rounds of 240 gr SJSP then a rifle probably wouldn't do much good. Long guns or extra handguns only went if I knew for a fact there was a place to shoot them and somebody to shoot with at my destination. The idea of losing a good chunk of my gun inventory in an accident or by theft never appealed to me and carrying rifle cases into a motel room at night was more attention than I wanted. Handguns hid better in my travel bag and some places where I stopped inconspicuous was a real good thing.

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Quote Originally Posted by old Grump View Post
    ...to me and carrying rifle cases into a motel room at night was more attention than I wanted. Handguns hid better in my travel bag and some places where I stopped inconspicuous was a real good thing.
    That's why you don't use rifle cases.

Long extended trip I always had my 45 and my 44 mag and that was it. If I couldn't handle an emergency with 7 rounds of hardball and 5 rounds of 240 gr SJSP then a rifle probably wouldn't do much good. Long guns or extra handguns only went if I knew for a fact there was a place to shoot them and somebody to shoot with at my destination. The idea of losing a good chunk of my gun inventory in an accident or by theft never appealed to me and carrying rifle cases into a motel room at night was more attention than I wanted. Handguns hid better in my travel bag and some places where I stopped inconspicuous was a real good thing.
    What ever I would taking with me needs to be able to fit into my travel bag.Such as my polish underfolder fits very nice in my bag.The pistol will be on my person or stored in a secure box once we hit the park.

Guns Network Lifetime Membership 01/2011 old Grump's Avatar

A little hut in the woods near Blue River Wisconsin
    Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    What ever I would taking with me needs to be able to fit into my travel bag.Such as my polish underfolder fits very nice in my bag.The pistol will be on my person or stored in a secure box once we hit the park.
    Umm....my Garand doesn't fold up and by the time you get your long arm deployed the shooting is over. Doesn't take long to thumb a safety off or thumb back a hammer and be done with it. If I need a long barreled pistol I'll use the 44 mag. Not as many bullets but how many do you need to discourage a rascal from bothering you in a motel room or at a roadside rest stop. To much worry about how many rounds you have and not enough thinking about actually shooting them and hnitting the target when everybody is excited and thetre is noise and screaming and bleeding happening around you. .

Roman Catholic, Life Member of American Legion, VFW, Wisconsin Libertarian party, Wi-FORCE, WGO, NRA, JPFO, GOA, SAF and CCRKBA

"THE STATE THAT SEPARATES ITS SCHOLARS FROM IT WARRIORS WILL HAVE ITS THINKING DONE BY COWARDS AND ITS FIGHTING DONE BY FOOLS"

THUCYDIDES.

Umm....my Garand doesn't fold up and by the time you get your long arm deployed the shooting is over. Doesn't take long to thumb a safety off or thumb back a hammer and be done with it. If I need a long barreled pistol I'll use the 44 mag. Not as many bullets but how many do you need to discourage a rascal from bothering you in a motel room or at a roadside rest stop. To much worry about how many rounds you have and not enough thinking about actually shooting them and hnitting the target when everybody is excited and thetre is noise and screaming and bleeding happening around you. .
    My pistol would be to my primary to get me to my long gun.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast