Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Travelling...

Travelling...

Wifey and I are planning a little vacation to be gone for about a week. Nothing special and only travelling about 5 hours away. She was making the "packing list"... you know... stuff ya don't wanna forget. I... very seriously I might add... said, "M4 and kit.". She looked at me with a puzzled look and that look went to a "I know you're joking" look. I wasn't. She does not feel the need for me to carry the M4 and kit since she is carrying her M&P 9mm and I have my Glock 22. She figures, for vacation only 5 hours away, I don't need the rifle.

When you guys go on vacation... do you carry you're rifle and kit? Whatever your answers, I am going to share with her. Thanks!
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Depends on where you are going and what states you drive into/through. Being in Daleyland, you can forget travelling with a gun of ANY kind (unless it is "disabled", unloaded, and cased - in other words, USELESS.)
    Last edited by JTHunter; 07-17-2010 at 01:32 AM. Reason: ADDED TEXT
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

swampdragon
    That's true JT.

A lil more info here would be useful.
    Is the rifle for on the road?
    Or are you going camping in the deep woods?
    Or...or....or...?
    What's the deal?

Emergency road-side kit? First aid kit? Survival kit?
    Last edited by swampdragon; 07-17-2010 at 01:47 AM.

Really just asking if you guys travel with more than a handgun. Not really worried about the B.O.B. or some type of kit. Mainly... more weapon than a handgun. I am not worried about the legality as I wouldn't travel illegally. Trip is to the beach and it would be legal for my CCW Wife to carry where we are going and I am LEO so that's covered. My wife thinks it's overkill to carry the M4. I say it's just in case something bad happens while we are far from home and need to get back. Does that clarify a bit?
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    Really just asking if you guys travel with more than a handgun. Not really worried about the B.O.B. or some type of kit. Mainly... more weapon than a handgun. I am not worried about the legality as I wouldn't travel illegally. Trip is to the beach and it would be legal for my CCW Wife to carry where we are going and I am LEO so that's covered. My wife thinks it's overkill to carry the M4. I say it's just in case something bad happens while we are far from home and need to get back. Does that clarify a bit?
    I live in the sticks.
    A lot of people around here carry long arms in their trucks.
    I rarely do unless I'm going to some remote place to go camping or something of that nature.

I'm not an LEO however.
    So it's my duty to tell you that I lost all my firearms in a boating mishap in 50000000ft deep water and never found them.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    When you guys go on vacation... do you carry you're rifle and kit?
    YES! Used to not to but have started recently. Some good info and reasons listed in "Boston's Gun Bible" on the subject.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    So it's my duty to tell you that I lost all my firearms in a boating mishap in 50000000ft deep water and never found them.
    And I'll vouch for you on that!
    Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    YES! Used to not to but have started recently. Some good info and reasons listed in "Boston's Gun Bible" on the subject.
    Thanks. I used to not either but was wondering about natural disasters and the like while on vacation. I often wonder about tourists caught in NOLA during Katrina. What did they do? Bound to have been a few of them caught down there.
    Last edited by Zoff12; 07-17-2010 at 07:38 AM.
    Skäl

Mark Ducati
    YEP, ALWAYS!

We just went to Charleston a couple weeks ago for our annual summer vacation, we go to Charleston every year with the kids... its a 6 hour drive from home.

Brought an AR15, two 200 round battle backs, half dozen mags, Beretta M9, Kimber 1911, and my suppressors. I have an assault bag that holds the AR and mags. And thanks to gunsnet for the raffle last year, my new Brownell's shooting bag holds all the ammo, pistols, extra mags, and miscellaneous stuff. Just a reminder, when traveling with NFA (FA or Suppressors), you need to fill out form 5320.20 with the ATF first, I fill mine out in January listing all our vacation plans so that I'm covered.

My wife thinks I'm crazy, but I'll be darned if I'm gonna be stuck away from home and my supplies and not be able to defend myself and family.

So, you are not alone...
    Last edited by Mark Ducati; 07-17-2010 at 10:17 AM.

I will take my carry peice with like 5-6 mags If we are going camping or to the cabin I also take a lg handgun like my .454 them black bears will laugh at my G23

I don't travel to anywhere un-armed. I see my ccw as legal any where my driver lic is. And if the powers that be don't like it, it's too bad. But i don't take a rifle unless I know I will be shooting.

On my mc tour of the USA, I went to 40 states in all. I wanted to hit 48, and had a .45 and a 52.5 inch long Kentucky rifle i did plan to use. MC means Motorcycle.

I am sick of the whiners telling me what I can and can not do. I see these foolish laws as a violation of the CONS. It isn't my fault they can't read, and understand "Shall Not be Infringed" is it?

Depends on where I'm going and how I'm getting there. If I'm driving, the AR comes with.

Sooo, yeah, the beach.

Take the rifle. Ya never know, ya might run into some friendly local that invites ya to shoot at their private rifle range while yer on vacation. Shit happens...

If it's going to be an over-night trip, I pack my SAR2 with 7 loaded mags and 420rds in a ammo can.

I just keep my .22 air rifle in the car all the time. I got a great buik grand national. Lots of trunk space.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Maser View Post
    I just keep my .22 air rifle in the car all the time. I got a great buik grand national. Lots of trunk space.
    Die.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

When I head to Del Rio,I always bring more than just a handgun.If I go anywhere in South Texas I always carry more than handgun.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

When I was stationed at Ft. Head 3 or 4 decades ago, I used to make the trip to Nuevo Laredo upon occasion. I took more than a side arm too, usually a bunch o' buddies. Got an Army Buddy still in San Antonio; he says things are a lot more dangerous nowadays. Hey, is Boy's Town still up and running?

**Team GunsNet SILVER 12/2014** skorpion's Avatar

A long gun always comes with me to accompany my sidearms if I'm driving more than a couple of hours away from home. I've done it for years. You never know when or where some post-Katrina-type disaster will occur when you wish you had more than just a pistol. I see it as no big deal that law requires the rifle to be unloaded and in a case, as I have a CCW and pistols for immediate threats anyway. This saying goes well with this topic: "Use your pistol to get to your rifle."
    The pen is mightier than the sword, but only when you're shoving it through your enemy's throat.
    USMC Active Duty, 2004-2008
    Gunsnet Member since January 2003

"Use your pistol to get to your rifle."

What a great quote Skorpion. I guess I might add, "And use you pistol to get to the other guy's rifle".

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    show your wife "Panic in Year Zero"

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast