Thread: OK - Range Report with pics - Ruger Mini 14 GB

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Thumbs up OK - Range Report with pics - Ruger Mini 14 GB

Well, along with my 10-22 and Smith 45, I shot my Ruger mini today at the range - testing 5 loads in it. It did good with 3 of them so so with one and crap with the 5th - kind of ammo sensitive. Ran like a clock though with 100% function. I think the sights are a bit coarse and the trigger is OK but also adds to group size.

Here it is waiting for the run-through with the ammo shot:

And here are the results: First is Winchester WB (order as pictured in above):

As you can see, about 3" - these are all at 100 yards.

And here's the star: Privi Partizan soft points: (2 inches)

And the next: S&B - it did not like this stuff at all.

And then American Eagle (about 4"):

And finally, my handload which is a light load with Hornady plastic tips and Varget: (printed about a foot higher! but with a 3" group):

One thing you will notice - it printed each load to quite a different point of impact - and these were all 55 grain loads. The handload is quite light but the others should be similar...

Definately want to mate this with a good load and have it sighted for that load...

Overall, I think I did good. This is performing like I expected. I'm betting that it will do good with the new handload that I'm using for my AR's with 55 grain fmj bullets and W748 - going 3100 fps or so. If it shoot that into 3" then I'm happy.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 09-16-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

Well that was quick! Privi Partizan seems to be some pretty good ammo.And thanks for you report it was well organized.

Glad to see your don't chew on your thumb nail LOL!
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

Thanks, but you need to test accuracy with a minimum ten shot group. I usually use 20, after which I almost always have a defined circl, and can spot obvious flyers.

When you have a three shot group that spreads four inches, the fourth shot could go four inches in the oposite direction, giving an 8 inch group.
    "if you jokers can't handle Bluedog's comments you are nothing but a bunch of woosies. There's a real simple way of solving your frustration. There is a place for you to click on called "Log Out" in the upper right portion of your monitor screen while you are at this website. Just click on that and don't ever log back in here and your problems are solved." --Pogo

Looks to be doing about as good as can be expected, were those the best groups of each load or the average load?

Quote Originally Posted by Bluedog View Post
    Thanks, but you need to test accuracy with a minimum ten shot group. I usually use 20, after which I almost always have a defined circl, and can spot obvious flyers.

When you have a three shot group that spreads four inches, the fourth shot could go four inches in the oposite direction, giving an 8 inch group.
    I would tend to agree a 3 inch 3 shot group is going to be a 5-6 inch 5 shot group more times then not.
    Last edited by mriddick; 09-16-2010 at 06:29 PM.

Ive had great luck with the Privi Partizan over the years..Its dirty but it is accurate..
    I shoot the 308 mostly.

Thanks for the review...I want one of those A teams!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

I thought you would have taken the 10/22 with the new stock and trigger and given us a range report.

Maybe next time.

DOH, Just found the report.
    There's no problem an AK can't solve...........

GUNSNET Member Since 2003
    CCW Permit
    03 FFL

To those who don't like my 3-shot groups.... lets see your range reports heh?

Also - if you go to my Ruger 10-22 range report, you will see target pics - with tape over some holes - those holes are from my Mini 14 shooting at 50 yards - where it shot three of these factory loads into 1" or less. That's some missing information - and partly why I stated what I did about the sights - the 100 yard sight picture was rather rough (less than precise to say the least).

Here - this is what I'm referring to:

I know what you're saying but I've found that 3 shots is indicative of the load preference and it was all that I had time for.

Privi shoots really well in my AR's too... so that one didn't surprise me at all.
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 09-16-2010 at 07:15 PM.

Iron Pumping Bastard aliceinchains's Avatar

3 shot groups are fine. Now if you have a flyer that is another story.
    I am sitting in my angry chair!

I never said I didn't like your 3 shot groups, only that it does need some qualifing IMO. I use 3 shot groups on rifles I plan to never shoot more then 3 shots at a time with (bolt action hunting arms), I just feel semi's like a mini where you'll probably use 20 and 30 rd mags with you're not really getting an accurate picture of what the firearms is doing. As a test just for fun you ought to put together your best load for 3 rds then try a few targets of 20rds and see what you come up with.

That's it, I'm taking my out on sat now.
    The 2nd Amendment : Washington didn't use his right to free speech to defeat the British, he shot them.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

Yeah that sounds about right.

Although I've heard that most of the accuracy problems start after the barrel gets hot.

When you get more time run a couple of mags through it to warm up the barrel and let us know if there's any change.

I could live with 3" groups on this type of rifle.

I know that 3 shot groups aren't as good as 5 or 10 shot groups - no arguments with that

I wasn't really trying to "prove" anything other than ammo preferrence - and I will be doing some more "research" on that subject with this rifle

I think the Privi, Winchester and my own handloads should be explored a bit more...

I will say that it was a very enjoyable carbine to shoot. The sighs are rough but they are very quick on target and the type lends itself to two-eyes open shooting which is the best iron sight technique IMHO and other's too.

MoeBrown - make sure to take the camera along and snap some pics to share! And try some brass-cases ammo if you can - if your mini is shooting well with Wolf, you may find that brass cased ammo will really "shine" pun intended

Looks great man... I have been thinking about adding a Ruger M-14/20CF (the one with the Folding Collapsible Stock)... this looks about like the performance I would be expecting from the platform... maybe a touch better for a new weapon.

Certainly helps with my decision making process.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Thanks. Well, again, I'd refer you to CDNN for one of the new "fat barrel" tach'd ones for the best accuracy. Reports are (if reliable) that they're giving 2 MOA and better. CDNN lists the blue'd poly one for $589 plus shipping - good price for brand new...

And if you like the retro - then Bud's is the place $499/ss&wood and $529/ss&poly shipped - still have some as far as I can see... yeah - here's a pic of the poly ones:

nothing wrong with 3 shot groups

IMHO. the basic sights on these SUCK. IMHO I'd replace the front sight blade with a thinner one '.021' or break out a small file and see if I couldnt get things to tighten up just by cleaning up the sight picture.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Quote Originally Posted by Helen Keller View Post
    nothing wrong with 3 shot groups

IMHO. the basic sights on these SUCK. IMHO I'd replace the front sight blade with a thinner one '.021' or break out a small file and see if I couldnt get things to tighten up just by cleaning up the sight picture.
    I agree - the front sight blade is too fat and covers too much of the sight picture. Maybe a very careful application of the dremel bwahhhaaaahhaa!