Thread: Why the AR15 Remains My Favorite Rifle

Why the AR15 Remains My Favorite Rifle

Hey guys, I took a two day intensive class with AsymmetricSolutionsUSA last weekend. Wow they wrung my 51 year old arse out! But I learned SO much. If you want training with real-deal truly experienced special forces guys, this is the training place for you. It was amazing!!!

The training made me realize why I really love the M4 Carbine so much.

And, if I may, let me share a fairly brief video on the platform, which you might find useful to share with friends who have little or zero experience with it.

I had a Battlecomp compensator put on it, hence the very flat recoil, by the way.

Here's the video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Db5N7xh-fSM

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I use to sneer at the AR15 but starting about 1994 I got my first one. Still didn't warm up to it much until I learned how to accurize it. Built my first one in 1997. Didn't build anymore until 2007, then my last one over the past winter. They are like moss they keep growing on me but slowly. I do like the modularity and all the bits and pieces you can choose from to build it the way you want it.

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    Nice rifle there!
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

did you hit a target? you shot at quite a few. j/k
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

I gave up on fanboyism and like them all.. I prefer the AK and Mini-14... BUT I love me some AR goodness as well.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

The AK platform has become just as modular as the AR-15, yet is more reliable. Not knocking the AR too much as I own a few myself, but the AK remains a superior platform. Whether it's forward vertical grips, railed top covers, railed hand guards, flashlights, EoTechs, etc......you can put them all on AKs now without having a weapon that shits where it eats. In fact, sights being equal, I'll run my .223 VEPR against any AR-15. You may gain a SLIGHT advantage in accuracy (maybe 0.5" at 100 yards), but my VEPR will still be running long after the AR shits the bed.

I just got a Tavor so I'll see how this does in the performance dept VS a piston AR.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Longest-serving battle rifle in US history, 1965 to the present. Nothing else comes close. I've always liked my Kalashnikov variants (natch ) but my Armalite M15A2 is the weapon I'd probably go with first if my life was depending on it.

I sort of have a different opinion. I have four things I don't like about AR-15s. One issue for me (and others) is that gas impingement AR-15s are a pain in the ass to clean properly. I thought I would address this issue by getting a Ruger SR556 (gas piston). Sad to say, I have had two jams with this gun (SR556) in the 1rst 250 rounds. With my Bushmaster I have had only one jam in about 1000 rounds. However, when an AR-15 jams, they really lock up. Issue # 2 - IMHO the milspec AR-15 trigger really sucks, i.e., gritty with a heavy pull. Issue # 3 - 5.56 ammo is so much more expensive than 7.62x39 ammo Due to ammo cost most of my rapid fire shooting has been done with an AK or SKS. Issue #4 - the front sight on AR-15s is too wide for precision shooting with iron sights.

I have never had an AK, SKS, or Mini-14 jam and I have fired a lot of rounds in all three of these platforms with minimal cleaning. I have been shooting my Mini-14 for over 30 years and only removed the bolt from the receiver one time for cleaning. Generally for cleaning I lock the bolt open, run a bore swab down the barrel a couple of times, spay a little CLP in the chamber and let it drip clean, remove the operating rod and clean the moveable gas cylinder with a little CLP and a rag. No need for bolt carrier scrapers, dental picks, etc. as are needed to properly clean an AR-15. As a final comment my Norinco SKS that I bought for $99 dollars is more accurate for me than either of my two ARs so in terms of bang for the buck I don't see AR-15s as a good value.
    Last edited by jet3534; 07-19-2013 at 08:27 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jet3534 View Post
    I sort of have a different opinion. I have four things I don't like about AR-15s. One issue for me (and others) is that gas impingement AR-15s are a pain in the ass to clean properly. I thought I would address this issue by getting a Ruger SR556 (gas piston). Sad to say, I have had two jams with this gun (SR556) in the 1rst 250 rounds. With my Bushmaster I have had only one jam in about 1000 rounds. However, when an AR-15 jams, they really lock up. Issue # 2 - IMHO the milspec AR-15 trigger really sucks, i.e., gritty with a heavy pull. Issue # 3 - 5.56 ammo is so much more expensive than 7.62x39 ammo Due to ammo cost most of my rapid fire shooting has been done with an AK or SKS. Issue #4 - the front sight on AR-15s is too wide for precision shooting with iron sights.

I have never had an AK, SKS, or Mini-14 jam and I have fired a lot of rounds in all three of these platforms with minimal cleaning. I have been shooting my Mini-14 for over 30 years and only removed the bolt from the receiver one time for cleaning. Generally for cleaning I lock the bolt open, run a bore swap down the barrel a couple of times, spay a little CLP in the chamber and let it drip clean, remove the operating rod and clean the moveable gas cylinder with a little CLP and a rag. No need for bolt carrier scrapers, dental picks, etc. as are needed to properly clean an AR-15. As a final comment my Norinco SKS that I bought for $99 dollars is more accurate for me than either of my two ARs so in terms of bang for the buck I don't see AR-15s as a good value.
    I would agree with most of your observations. The one about an SKS being more accurate than an AR15 makes me go ... hum! You may have an SKS that is more accurate than your AR rifles but that is an exceptional SKS and not the rule. If you took 10 AR rifles and 10 SKS rifles it wouldn't be close for an average result between the two types of weapon, the AR would run away with the trophy.

AR rifles need good magazines, the power of the recoil / loading system is weak (compared to that of an AK or SKS) and the mags are thin. I have a gas piston converted AR and so far it has proven to be what I hoped it would be, cleaner, ( A Lot Cleaner) and it hasn't bogged down around 350 to 400 rounds from carbon build up in the upper and on the bolt group as do my typical AR rifles.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I would agree with most of your observations. The one about an SKS being more accurate than an AR15 makes me go ... hum! You may have an SKS that is more accurate than your AR rifles but that is an exceptional SKS and not the rule. If you took 10 AR rifles and 10 SKS rifles it wouldn't be close for an average result between the two types of weapon, the AR would run away with the trophy.

AR rifles need good magazines, the power of the recoil / loading system is weak (compared to that of an AK or SKS) and the mags are thin. I have a gas piston converted AR and so far it has proven to be what I hoped it would be, cleaner, ( A Lot Cleaner) and it hasn't bogged down around 350 to 400 rounds from carbon build up in the upper and on the bolt group as do my typical AR rifles.
    For some reason my SKS is exceptional. I have only shot one Norinco (mine) but I have shot Yugos and they were not very accurate at all.

As a positive, I have to say my SR 556 is clean. After 300 rounds the bolt carrier and chamber do not require cleaning. All of the carbon build up is on the easily cleaned gas piston.