Thread: old school brake on new saiga???

old school brake on new saiga???

how do i get the old school original 45 degree slant brake on my new saiga 7.62x39? i want that old school look. thanks for the guidance. Walt.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    If your Saiga has a threaded muzzle, it should be 14x1mm left hand which is the standard AK thread. Any brake should work. If it is not threaded, and measures approx .550" then it can be threaded to the AK standard.

i cant tell as it looks smooth but may have a cover around it. should i try to grab the barrel with wrench and try to see it there is a cover sleeve over threads or would it be obvious to look at? i can post pic later. thanks, walt

If the Saiga is like the VEPR I just got, there is a sleeve that is pinned over a threaded muzzle. I ground around the pin until it fell out, then was able to unscrew the muzzle cover, then install any brake I want.

If it is obviously pinned, after getting the pin out remember that the threads are most likely left hand, so turn the cover off the "wrong" way.

If you are unsure about yours, please post a picture or two so that we can better help you.

thanks ill will post pic but wife has camera now all i see is what looks like a thin sleeve from barrel end butting up to the front sight. i do not see any pins to speak of. ill look again. i am guessing the pin would be easy to see? either way glad to know the threads will be reverse. thanks, Walt. this is the only one i have now but its too small to see. not a close up. it appears the sleeve in front of the sight in one piece and the pinned sight would need to be removed. or can the sleeve be threaded with a thread tool? sorry for the dumb question.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by walt; 07-20-2013 at 01:50 PM.

Yes, a nice close up of the muzzle area would help. Can't see anything other than a nice rifle in your posted picture.

Some pins are very easy to see, and some are just long enough to fit into a slight indentation in the threaded area, and a little into the muzzle cover. If it is a loose pin the manufacturer would then weld over it, smooth out the weld and paint over to hide it.

The VEPR was nice as the pin was very visible, but I have seen some blind pinned to hide it. You might have to look very carefully to find the weld spot if it is a welded over pin.

after looking around and researching the rifle it seems i need to cut back some of the sleeve with a pipe cutter to expose the barrel underneath. then i can use the die to cut new threads. i have seen many people on YouTube and have been able to verify the type barrel i have. because the front sight block sits further back than regular ak's i just need to go back far enough for the slant brake. not all the way to the sight base like old school ak's are. waiting on my parts to come in before i can proceed. looking forward to doing this as i am mechanically inclined just need the guidance first. thanks, walt