Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Help me decide on a New pistol

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

Help me decide on a New pistol

I apologize if this is in the wrong forum but I didn't see a pistol only section that seemed to fit.

I am looking for a new pistol well... we will say the zombie apocalypse. I want that one pistol that I know will not have an issue if I need it. I have been rotating around the Glock 17 in 9mm because there are a ton of parts and accessories available as well as hi cap mags etc,

I was also looking at the Brόgger & Thomet TP9 because its reliability, light weight, high capacity mags and folding stock.

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am looking at reliability, parts availability and capacity over compactness. But having a compact pistol with good points in all other catagories would be a win win.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

The G17 is hard to beat. A Beretta 92FS/M9 would be one to consider, (factory 20rd mags) and plenty of parts, accurate, etc. CZ also offers one with an 18 or 20rd mag and from personal experience my CZ-75b is superb in most every regard.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Help me decide on a New pistol

How will you get hi-caps in Canada?

If I were limited to ten rounds it would be in .45 acp.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Platinum 07/2011 nfa1934's Avatar

I guess our silly NFA short-barreled-rifle nonsense doesn't apply in Canada with the B&T folding stock, still I wouldn't buy a semi-auto version of a submachinegun. Without the happy-switch, it's just a 9mm pistol that's too big and heavy when compared to a modern semi-auto pistol.

I would take the Glock over the Beretta (carried an M9 in Iraq and Afghanistan, didn't really like it). I would take a SigSauer over either of them, but if capacity is your main concern you should probably get the Glock (or a Springfield XD(m), I love mine and it has a 19 round magazine).
    If I had a dollar for every time CAPITALISM was blamed for problems caused by the GOVERNMENT, I'd be a fat filmmaker with a baseball cap.

12 string guitars only have 6 extra strings, but they're 85 TIMES as likely to be used in a song about wizards.

I like big 'bots and I cannot lie...
    I got the model from Bandai.

The Glock or Beretta 92, both reliable, both reasonably accurate, and you can generally pull extra mags and ammo off of cop corpses.

The Glock is lighter.

Suggest you check out what the cops are using in your area, future looting of their bodies may help in making the choice for after the Zombies hit.

G17 uber alles.

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    The Glock or Beretta 92, both reliable, both reasonably accurate, and you can generally pull extra mags and ammo off of cop corpses.

The Glock is lighter.

Suggest you check out what the cops are using in your area, future looting of their bodies may help in making the choice for after the Zombies hit.
    That was kind of my thought as well with regards to the Beretta, at least here in the U.S. It's military issue so in the event of a SHTF/Zombie scenario mags, ammo and even weapons should be laying around for the taking. Same would apply to a .40cal Glock (main police issue at least in my neck of the woods).
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    That was kind of my thought as well with regards to the Beretta, at least here in the U.S. It's military issue so in the event of a SHTF/Zombie scenario mags, ammo and even weapons should be laying around for the taking. Same would apply to a .40cal Glock (main police issue at least in my neck of the woods).
    Yep, don't think he could go wrong with either.

I prefer the Beretta, bit I like a heftier gun and like having the safeties and exposed hammer.

The Glock is lighter though...and of course the caliber.

Quote Originally Posted by rci2950 View Post

Does anyone have any other suggestions? I am looking at reliability, parts availability and capacity over compactness. But having a compact pistol with good points in all other catagories would be a win win.
    M1911 or Beretta M9/M92

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    The G17 is hard to beat. A Beretta 92FS/M9 would be one to consider, (factory 20rd mags)
    Are Beretta M9 20 round mags flush fit? My M9 hold 15 rounds, not 20.

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post

we are allowed high capacity magazines but they have to be pinned to ten rounds with a pop rivit. Similar to the New York Bullshit.

I have seen AR-15 100 round beta mags with a pop rivit...

easy peazy lemon squeezy.

I am 100% legal and only want the extra mag hanging out for looks...
    Last edited by rci2950; 07-18-2013 at 03:41 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Krupski View Post
    Are Beretta M9 20 round mags flush fit? My M9 hold 15 rounds, not 20.
    No, they protrude. Beretta does make a flush fit 17rd IIRC.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Uh, yeah.
    Returns June 3rd.

Frikin Zombies are roaming the streets, who gives a crap about high-cap laws!

Just have a gun that can hold them, and cop corpses to "liberate" high caps from if your state won't let you have them now.

That's my issue with the 1911, harder time finding ammo, not enough capacity...nice stopping power though

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

we are allowed high capacity magazines but they have to be pinned to ten rounds with a pop rivit. Similar to the New York Bullshit.

So you get high caps sent to your house and then you rivet it yourself, or you're not allowed to take possession of a mag until its riveted?

Just curious.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by Kadmos View Post
    who gives a crap about high-cap laws!
    Not me.

OK, when Klinton had his stupid AWB, I paid top dollar for "pre-ban" magazines.

After the AWB ended, New York had a virtual carbon copy of the AWB on the books. So my mags cost me a lot more than most.

And now I'm supposed to take my overprices mags, drill holes and pop-rivet them?

I don't think so.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Going to move it to General Firearms Discussion. That said get the Glock 17 and don't look back or the 19. The 19 can use the 17's mags and you would have a more easily concealed weapon. They can also 17 and 19, use the 35 round Glock 18 mags if you can get them in C land. That B&T is huge by contrast, might as well have an M11 if you go that route.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

G17, parts can be had any and every where, mags are cheap and easy to find, and they're super simple to work on when it comes time to install those parts.

So you get high caps sent to your house and then you rivet it yourself, or you're not allowed to take possession of a mag until its riveted?

Just curious.
    The shop that imports them to sell does it. For example here is one of the mags for my VZ58. Notice the brass thing-a-majigger in it? Sometimes they just have a piece of plastic or even a big glob of hot melt glue in the bottom to take up the extra space. Depending on the size of the mag and how many rounds over the limit it is.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast