Thread: ak47 mag will not lock in on my wasr help please

Angry ak47 mag will not lock in on my wasr help please

hi
    i am new here and usually do not post on boards like this .. I have 68 fire arms, SO I DO KNOW A BIT ABOUT GUNS, I BUILT MY LAST AR MYSELF .. i recently bought a WASR OFF A FRIEND WHO NEEDED THE MONEY THE GUN WAS IN HORRIBLE SHAPE .. SO FAR I HAVE FIXED A CANTERED FRONT SIGHT , A BROKEN GAS BLOCK RETAINING LEVER .. I HAVE THE GUN FIRING WELL NOW .. THEN YESTERDAY I REPLACED THE OLD BEAT UP WOODEN STOCK WITH A TAPCO .. NON FOLDING STOCK .. IT FITS WELL AND IS TIGHT AND NOT WOBBLY , THEN I DECIDED TO ADD A BUFFER .. TODAY WHEN I WAS WIPING THE GUN OF BEFORE GOING SHOOTING .. I PLACED A MAG IN IT .. AND IT WOULD NOT LOCK .. IT SEEMS AS IF THE FRONT OF THE MAG THE END CLOSEST TO THE BARREL WOULD NOT GO UP IN THE MAG WELL FAR ENOUGH TO LOCK IT .. I HAVE NEVER HAD ANYTHING LIKE THIS HAPPEN BEFORE ,, ALL OF THE MAGS THAT FIT AND LOCKED AND FIREd WELL LAST WEEK WILL NOT LOCK IN NOW .. THE REASON I DECIDED TO TAKE THIS GUN OFF MY FRIENDS HANDS WAS BECAUSE HE WAS GOING TO TURN IT IN TO A LOCAL GUN BUY BACK DEAL AND AS A MEMBER OF THE GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA , I COULDNT JUST LET THAT HAPPEN. .. I DONT BELIEVE IN THAT STUFF SO I FIGURED I WOULD SAVE THIS BEATEN UP NEGLECTED AND ABUSED AK .. I AM DETERMINE TO GET THIS GUN BACK TO THE CONDITION IT SHOULD BE IN ..I HAVE ALOT OF EFFORT INTO IT .. WHILE I HAVE ALOT OF GUNS THIS IS THE FIRST AK I HAVE .. MOST OF MY OTHER GUNS ARE AR 15 AND M1 CARBINES , STUFF LIKE THAT SO I AM HOPING ONE OF YOU AK GUYS CAN HELP ME OUT HERE ..ANYONE WITH AND IDEAS WHAT HAPPENED HERE .. PLEASE POST A REPLY I WILL BE VERY GREATFUL

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Calm down, caps off, and make sure that a small piece of dirt or something is not stuck in the slot that the front of the mag fits into. That would be the only thing I can think of that would block all your mags from going far enough into the front trunion to allow lock-up.

thanks for the welcome,, i just took the gun and blew it out with 40 lbs of compressed air .. nothing came out .. and the mags will not go in ... i know i seem excitable , but i am frustrated ,, any idea at all what else this might be ?? i dont thing replacing the butstock or adding a recoil buffer .. could be causing this ..... i know a ak mag goes in different that a ar mag and all i have shot about 700 rounds out of it since i got it back in half way decent shape, but nothing like this happened.. i was planning to go shoot it tomorrow ..since it got postponed today .... .. well if anyone has any ideas feel free to send em to me .. thanks

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Hello and welcome to Gunsnet. As Nut said from what you describe it would sound as IF something has gotten lodged in the recess of the front trunion that normally accepts the locking point at the front of the magazines. AK weapons are a Rock-in design for the magazine so naturally you have to stick the mag in at an angle with the bottom of the mag rotated slightly toward the muzzle. Once the front latch point is up inside the mag well you pull back and get the rear latch to be engaged by the release. I've seen buffers cause jams in AK rifles, especially if they are thick 1/4" plus in thickness. But as you no doubt have thought, the buffer is at the back of the receiver so how could that be involved. I would think in this case it could not be.

I am very familiar with the Ak rifles, I've built well over a dozen from demilled rifle kits, though I got out of that hobby of building the AK about 2007 after all the cheap kits with original barrels ran out. From what you say you have used these magazines in this rifle many times before and they use to fit. So if they are not now fitting there has to be something in the recess. A photo of the inside of the mag well facing toward the muzzle and the opposite direction, toward the buttstock might give us a clue.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by debadge View Post
    i dont thing replacing the butstock or adding a recoil buffer .. could be causing this .....
    It shouldn't and the buffer wouldn't.

One possible but unlikely exception though, what stock did you put on it?
    Typical standard AK wood or something seriously aftermarket like an ATI folding stock?
    I'm asking under the assumption that the mags went in just fine before you changed the stock.

How difficult was it to slide into the rear of the receiver is what i'm getting at.
    Did you have to force/hammer it to get it in because it was so tight?

Close up pics are helpful too btw. Show us where it's stopping and how.

Are you trying to insert it while its empty or full? If its full, try removing one round and try again. I have encountered quite a few WASRs that won't accept a full mag especially when its an Eastern Bloc mag filled with 30 rounds. Some mags are not quite to spec and have guts that are just a wee bit too tall or lips that are not welded on right.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Russbirch View Post
    Are you trying to insert it while its empty or full? If its full, try removing one round and try again. I have encountered quite a few WASRs that won't accept a full mag especially when its an Eastern Bloc mag filled with 30 rounds. Some mags are not quite to spec and have guts that are just a wee bit too tall or lips that are not welded on right.
    +1
    видеодон

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Russbirch View Post
    Great point!

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    i know exactly what it is. my friends sks did the same when we changed it to the t-6 tapco. we had to dremel the mag well out just a bit till the duckbill would slide in and the mag lock like should. take an end grinder or a dremel and carefully remove a bit of the plastic around the front of the mag well till the mag seats properly. for some reason almost all of the tapco and ati stocks have just a bit more plastic around the magwell than it should . but can be fixed very easly. i promise that is all thats wrong. i;ve run into it 3 times already.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    well i just did a little research and the tapco models for an ak are totally different than an sks. there is no plastic around the magwell like the sks version. so i am stomped.... crazy though how they worked before and now they do not. yes pics would help alot in this situation.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ