Thread: Shooting the Barrett M107 .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle

Shooting the Barrett M107 .50 Caliber Sniper Rifle

Last Thursday as I was participating in training at Asymmetric Solutions in Farmington, Missouri (awesome place!!), I was able to shoot a Barrett .50 Caliber sniper rifle, in fact the M107, the real deal military version of the famous Barrett.

A USAF EOD team was at the facility training, had been for the past couple weeks, and after they were finished for the day blowing up some very serious stuff, and I mean, really serious stuff, they let us take their Barrett out and shoot it.

They just received and we shot rounds 200-215 through it.

It was, and is, simply amazing.

The recoil is really not bad at all, thanks for the massive compensator on the front of the barrel and the heavy springs that absorb a lot of the punishing recoil of a .50 BMG round.

It is a heavy rifle, no doubt about that. You just nestle it tight into your shoulder pocket, get a good cheek weld and it reminded me of shooting a 12 guage with a heavy slug shell.

The noise? If you are shooting the rifle, not bad at all. I had 33db foam plugs in my ear and Peltor electronic muffs on, so no issue shooting it. The real noise comes when you are standing anywhere to the side of the beast. Then you get a LOT of noise. I mean...a LOT.

The safety is just like that of an AR15, easy to manipulate. The trigger broke cleaning, but was a bit heavy. I did not get the details on the optic the USAF EOD unit had on it, but it was a darn big one.

They had it zeroed at 500 yards.

Here's the video of all the USAF team setting it up then letting the group of us out there shoot it.

A very satisfying experience, to say the least.
    Last edited by Amsdorf; 07-22-2013 at 06:46 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I've fired their model 99 bolt gun, kicks pretty hard. Always wanted to shoot the semiauto rifle, probably kicks way less. The muzzle blast from the 50 bmg round is always fierce.