Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Favorite slings?

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Favorite slings?

I need a couple slings for some ARs and some Mossberg 590s.

So what are you guys favorite AR and shotgun slings?
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

im getting to like the 1 point sling on the ar.

I like the slings that convert from 2 point to 1 point slings. Best of both worlds, IMO.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

My favorite sling is the woven canvas SKS sling. It's simple to hook up, easy to adjust and just plain works. And it's inexpensive. I have them on just about everything I have a sling on.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    I need a couple slings for some ARs and some Mossberg 590s.

So what are you guys favorite AR and shotgun slings?
    Depends on what kind of AR rifle it is. For a full size 20" barrel rifle I prefer a military canvas web sling of 2 point type. This type can be used for over the shoulder carry but primarily I like it because of being able to sling up in the prone position to stabilize the weapon for greater accuracy.

For a carbine I like a single point.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Depends on what kind of AR rifle it is. For a full size 20" barrel rifle I prefer a military canvas web sling of 2 point type. This type can be used for over the shoulder carry but primarily I like it because of being able to sling up in the prone position to stabilize the weapon for greater accuracy.

For a carbine I like a single point.
    It would be for two M4 carbines.

I don't care for single point myself. I'd like to be able to use two hands if necessary. Plus I don't like a long arm banging around between my legs If I go pistol, or that fact that it will put my muzzle in the dirt if I take a knee. I've tried them before but only use one now for an AK pistol.

I thought maybe there was a particular sling that people might like, but I guess generic is fine as no one has mentioned a particular brand yet. I've got an uncle mike's nylon strap on my Mossberg but wanted something a little sturdier and with a longer adjustment, and the sling my dad uses on his is garbage.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

For a standard 2 point sling, I like this one: http://www.thewilderness.com/basic-carry/

Very tough, simple, reasonable price point. Comes in Black, OD, and Coyote.

This is what I have on my FALs and my Mosberg 500A. It's called the Supersling 2+.

http://www.outdoorconnection.com/pro...r%20Sling%202+

You have have them custom made by measuring from the distance between the attachment points on your stock and calling the company. Pay be credit card and they'll ship right to you.

Form my ARs I use the Magpul MS2 (I think that's what its called). It can be used as a two point or a single.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    This is what I have on my FALs and my Mosberg 500A. It's called the Supersling 2+.

http://www.outdoorconnection.com/pro...r%20Sling%202+

You have have them custom made by measuring from the distance between the attachment points on your stock and calling the company. Pay be credit card and they'll ship right to you.

Form my ARs I use the Magpul MS2 (I think that's what its called). It can be used as a two point or a single.
    thats the one where you can make the quick length adjustment? i have those on my bolt guns.

my 20"ar has the military silent sling (cotton??)

i dont like using slings for support. depending oin the gun, can put inconsistent pressure on the barrel and ruin accuracy.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    thats the one where you can make the quick length adjustment? i have those on my bolt guns.

my 20"ar has the military silent sling (cotton??)

i dont like using slings for support. depending oin the gun, can put inconsistent pressure on the barrel and ruin accuracy.
    Yes, they make for a very fast "hasty sling". It's really a cheaper, nylon version of the leather Latigo slings. As far as a sling putting pressure on a barrel; that won't happen if the stock is bedded.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

It would be for two M4 carbines.

I don't care for single point myself. I'd like to be able to use two hands if necessary. Plus I don't like a long arm banging around between my legs If I go pistol, or that fact that it will put my muzzle in the dirt if I take a knee. I've tried them before but only use one now for an AK pistol.

I thought maybe there was a particular sling that people might like, but I guess generic is fine as no one has mentioned a particular brand yet. I've got an uncle mike's nylon strap on my Mossberg but wanted something a little sturdier and with a longer adjustment, and the sling my dad uses on his is garbage.
    http://www.brownells.com/shooting-ac...prod20051.aspx I kind of like this one, though I don't have it ... yet.

I've got this one on my A2 and I really like it, it's by spectre gear

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Yes, they make for a very fast "hasty sling". It's really a cheaper, nylon version of the leather Latigo slings. As far as a sling putting pressure on a barrel; that won't happen if the stock is bedded.
    like i said, depending on the gun. my 20" ar is dead nuts accurate. a1 style with the triangular handguards and the sling on the front sight base, which is on the barrel. pull on that with the sling at all and the bullets fly everywhere.

a nice bolt gun with a bedded stock would be different, but i figure, why start bad habits that are only going to bite me in the ass otherwise. besides, ive never really found my aim to be any more steady when bracing with a sling.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    like i said, depending on the gun. my 20" ar is dead nuts accurate. a1 style with the triangular handguards and the sling on the front sight base, which is on the barrel. pull on that with the sling at all and the bullets fly everywhere.

a nice bolt gun with a bedded stock would be different, but i figure, why start bad habits that are only going to bite me in the ass otherwise. besides, ive never really found my aim to be any more steady when bracing with a sling.
    This is why they make free float tube handguards and DCM class free float tubes that gun under stock handguards. You move the sling point back to the tube and off the barrel. On never found your aim to be more steady comment ... then you never were trained how to do it correctly. Proper sling use will definitely make one steadier in the prone, sitting, or even offhand position. Seriously, Service Rifle and NRA High Power competitors would never go into a match sans sling and that's for a very good reason, they work!

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod9943.aspx link to tube and handguard system that I am referencing. I have a similar set that I got through DPMS back in 1996. This is a specialized barrel nut that has a tube welded to it, a threaded section for alignment of the front end and the delta cap welded to the front of the second half of the tube with the sling point welded to the delta cap. You knock out the rivet and remove the stock sling swivel as this one comes with it in place. Such tubes require notching the handguards to accommodate the sling point on the delta cap.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 07-28-2013 at 07:05 AM.

I like 1 point slings on subcarbines and smaller (SMG, PDW).

On a carbine I prefer 2 point slings. This is my newest one...and I am quite impressed http://www.laruetactical.com/armaged...-carbine-sling

On a rifle or full sized shotgun, I prefer 3 point slings...as long as they are simple. So far my favorite are the ones from Spectre Gear.

YMMV
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

Thanks for suggestions. For some reason I'm drawn to the basic carry sling posted by AK-J.

I'll probably order 4 of these within a week or two.

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    This is why they make free float tube handguards and DCM class free float tubes that gun under stock handguards. You move the sling point back to the tube and off the barrel. On never found your aim to be more steady comment ... then you never were trained how to do it correctly. Proper sling use will definitely make one steadier in the prone, sitting, or even offhand position. Seriously, Service Rifle and NRA High Power competitors would never go into a match sans sling and that's for a very good reason, they work!

http://www.brownells.com/rifle-parts...-prod9943.aspx link to tube and handguard system that I am referencing. I have a similar set that I got through DPMS back in 1996. This is a specialized barrel nut that has a tube welded to it, a threaded section for alignment of the front end and the delta cap welded to the front of the second half of the tube with the sling point welded to the delta cap. You knock out the rivet and remove the stock sling swivel as this one comes with it in place. Such tubes require notching the handguards to accommodate the sling point on the delta cap.
    shuetz, i'm needing something like that but to replace the bayo lug and cap on my carbine. i have a DD 7.0 carbine length quadrail on it. is there a cap designed to replace the standard one thats on it now that gets rid of the sling point and bayo? since i can't use it there is no since in it being there.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

sorry FUNKPERTWEE! did not mean any disrespect aksing a question on your thread bud.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    sorry FUNKPERTWEE! did not mean any disrespect aksing a question on your thread bud.
    No one asks questions in MY thread and lives to tell about it!

Just kidding.

No one asks questions in MY thread and lives to tell about it!

Just kidding.
    lol. some people get bent out of shape brother! you wouldn't happen to know about what i mentioned do you? i'd like to get rid of the bayo lug and that sling point and just cap the front off, if they make anything like that.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast