Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: SLR-101S very hot after 2-3 mags

SLR-101S very hot after 2-3 mags

Is it normal for the front hand guard to get so hot after 2-3 mags that I can't hardly hold it? One thing I've noticed on the plastic hand guard, there are no cooling slots like what are on most wood sets. Does that make a difference?

Sent from my SCH-R760 using Tapatalk 2

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

AKs get pretty hot.

Your polymer AK handguards should have steel heat shields on the inside of them. If they don't, then they're cheap knock offs.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    i've got the early ati import stock on my mak90 and after i run about 3 to 4 mags through it it gets hot but not so hot you can't hold it the barrel now is a different story....lol
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    AKs get pretty hot.

Your polymer AK handguards should have steel heat shields on the inside of them. If they don't, then they're cheap knock offs.
    word to yo motha.... forgot about that. good point FUNKYPERTWEE. yeah that'll do it alright.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    Is it normal for the front hand guard to get so hot after 2-3 mags that I can't hardly hold it? One thing I've noticed on the plastic hand guard, there are no cooling slots like what are on most wood sets. Does that make a difference?

IMO, yes AK handguards do get hot quickly. Funky's advise about metal heat shield inside the handguards is valid.

Re: SLR-101S very hot after 2-3 mags

It does have a metal heat shield. Just no vents.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Not only do AK wood handguards get hot, you can actually get them smoking hot, and with enough ammo in a short period of time, have been seen to catch fire.

Plastic ones have been known to distort, and with enough rounds in a short period of time can melt.

well if its to hot for you to handle i'll take it off your hands. that way it will burn me and you won't have to deal with it anymore.....

lol. I think I'll keep it. Was just wondering if there was a way to keep it cooler.

Get a vertical foregrip on that thing

Quote Originally Posted by Aaron1100us View Post
    lol. I think I'll keep it. Was just wondering if there was a way to keep it cooler.

damn.... oh well worth a try.. lol hope you figure out a way that suits you to fix it bro!

forward grip is probably the best idea

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I have some firearms that I use gloves to protect my hands from the heat. You want to shoot a rifle that gets hotter than even the devil can handle, try a Bushmaster M17S bullpup. The reason I bought thermal gloves was because it gets so hot.

The foregrip is a great suggestion. You could also try fabricating a heat shield in the lower handguard using a piece of aluminum foil. It is amazing how well such a thin sheet can cut the heat to the guard itself.

Yeah thinking metal quad rail and fore grip. I have a Mako foldable fore grip on my 15-22 and really like it. A few weeks ago, I tried out one of those solid angled fore grips on someone's AR-15 and really liked it. Plus it wouldn't get in the way of the mags, especially the longer 40 round ones.

It's odd that your handguard would heat up like that. The Arsenal stuff w/heat shield generally stays cool (relatively).
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

There are two ways the heat gets transmitted to the handguard. First, the hot air next to the barrel physically touches the handguard and transmits heat; thermal radiation. Holes in the handguard help to release the hot air, reducing the temperature of the air touching the handguard. Second, heat is also transmitted by infrared radiation. Foil tape inside the handguard will reflect a lot of that radiation into the surrounding air. Without vent holes, you're SOL.
    Last edited by Russbirch; 08-13-2013 at 08:27 AM. Reason: spelin

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Yeah, I've been shooting it often this summer. It usually gets pretty warm but for some reason, it got so hot Saturday that I had to hold it by the mag. Only went through a total of 3 mags with about 5-10 minutes inbetween each one. Temp was only in the lower 80's. Thought it was odd that it has never got that hot before.

Going to my friend's house this evening to have him order me a metal quad rail and fore grip.

This is the type of fore grip I want.

I just had a think! What ammo are you using? Same stuff as you have before, or is it from a different manufacturer? I may be pulling at straws, but different powders act differently ... thoughts, anyone?
    The gun-toting practitioner of the Middle Path.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast