Thread: I think i found a deal today SVT-40

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

I think i found a deal today SVT-40

It is quite possible my luck in firearm purchasing has finally turned for the better. After a couple duds in the CZ-858 and the German Mauser i hope i got a good one this time. I was at the surplus store today (the usual place where i feed my addiction on random things like helmets, Cold steel war clubs and firearms and i noticed a brown roll that had an interesting series of letters and numbers scribbled on it.

Well i got very inquisitive and ended up purchasing this brown roll. They charged me $300 bucks for this. But lone behold there was a rifle inside it. It has a red bolt and the slots for the scope mount. The numbers match (except the Magazine which the rifle didn't have one in the wrap they just found one for me to make it complete) The bore is also very nice with no pitting and sharp rifling, on first inspection it looks perfect.

All around it looks very nice and appears to not have seen use. I am going to attempt to track down a reproduction scope mount and scope for it and use it to Snipe deer and Coyotes likely this fall.

If anyone knows where to get a scope mount or has one they dont need then let me know. I am "in the market" for one.
    Last edited by rci2950; 08-15-2013 at 07:53 PM.
    Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Very nice! What arsenal is it from, Tula?

An original scope won't mount just because of the rails. The receiver on a real SVT-40 sniper has a keyway milled in it for the scope mount to latch to. Don't know if the repro mounts attach without that keyway or not?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

That's a nice one for sure. Now once you shoot it with surplus do clean the gas system including the gas valve and block or it will be reduced to a rusty pile of shit in no time. All surplus 7.62x54R is corrosive. There is noncorrosive new ammo at a much greater price. How much did you get hosed for it?

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Very nice! What arsenal is it from, Tula?

An original scope won't mount just because of the rails. The receiver on a real SVT-40 sniper has a keyway milled in it for the scope mount to latch to. Don't know if the repro mounts attach without that keyway or not?
    After posting this and doing a little research i found that out. It is a notch on the top of the receiver. I dont have that. But according to some old forum postings on another site there is an after market one that appears to the untrained eye to be original but grabs some other part of the receiver to stay on. I will look but i am not going to be heartbroken to not have a scope. I am an iron sight guy normally anyway.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    That's a nice one for sure. Now once you shoot it with surplus do clean the gas system including the gas valve and block or it will be reduced to a rusty pile of shit in no time. All surplus 7.62x54R is corrosive. There is noncorrosive new ammo at a much greater price. How much did you get hosed for it?
    They took $300 from me today. I am not going to shoot surplus through it. Here surplus ammo is $12 per 20 rounds and the soft point sporting stuff that is new manufacture and non corrosive is $15 per box. For the trouble it is not worth the tiny savings to me to put surplus through it.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Cost him $300
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

For $300 I would be a happy man. Even if I only shot it a few times.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    For $300 I would be a happy man. Even if I only shot it a few times.
    I hope i can try it out sooner then later.

this may make a good SHTF piece as well. hmmm

The more i look at it the more i like it.

Now i just need some mosin stripper clips to feed it quick

I would say for $300 dollars that is a fantastic find. At least here. I don't know how it would rate in Canada but it still sounds like a good to great deal.
    Doobie Doobie Doo..

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Congrats, very nice looking rifle!

Agree with you that for a couple dollars extra it is worth shooting clean ammo if it is available, which in your case it is.

Now awaiting a range report!!!

Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Congrats, very nice looking rifle!

Agree with you that for a couple dollars extra it is worth shooting clean ammo if it is available, which in your case it is.

Now awaiting a range report!!!
    The best part about the clean new manufacture ammo is that it is soft point not FMJ and in my mosin M44 and 91/30 shoots in the same place as the surplus stuff. The sights were still in the right place. I figured it would hit in a diff place but it doesn't.

Sweet!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott
    Always Remember:
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
    (I don't know who to credit but I like the quote.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

nice rifle. i do not try to sound stupid, it just happens, what is it?
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    nice rifle. i do not try to sound stupid, it just happens, what is it?
    It is a Semi Auto rifle chambered in the same round as the Mosin Nagant. Has a 10 shot magazine. I hear they are quite accurate.

The "purple" bolts are usually electro-penciled and signify a re-arsenal. But you still got a screamer of a deal!!!!
    Want to sell it??
    CaptMax

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

That is about $500 under the usual asking price. One drawback of a scope is the stripper clips no longer work and you then need extra very high dollar mags. Not many mags were produced because they were only issued to troops with the "sniper" version having the scope grooves.

That is a really nice refurb...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Dude that is a steal! I would give my middle nut just to find one that cheap!
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Nice score! Yes that was a steal of a price. I would advise you to do some research on suitable ammo too. Although this a "Russian" rifle, the receivers are not built as tough as the AK, Mosin Nagants, and SKS. I suggest GunBoards for finding out more about this rifle. I have read that you do not want to shoot anything higher than 155gr. bullets.

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2012 videodon's Avatar

I can barely remember when they were $400...and I snoozed then!
    Score!
    видеодон

There is an aftermarket stainless gas system, consisting of the piston and cup, that can be had for not a lot of money. Nonetheless, I take the regulator out and run a patch of Hoppes through the orifice where the regulator goes to assure ridding myself of any corrosive residue, and wipe down the itty bitty regulator really good after a shoot.

These are some of the sweetest shooting rifles one can have. Lighter than my Tula SKS, at least by the feel of it, and it balances perfectly. I think this rifle is a masterpiece. Svelte, narrow where it needs to be, and just lays on target.
    Last edited by stubbicatt; 07-20-2014 at 09:34 PM.