Thread: Need some help.

Need some help.

I need some help, just here within the last few months every gun I shoot, scoped, or open sighted I shoot low and to the left. What am I doing wrong all of a sudden? Am I pushing the trigger finger and pulling the forearm? Any and all help will be appreciated.

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Low left is usually anticipating recoil in my experience. Particularly with handguns. Lobster clawing(squeezing with all four fingers while you squeeze the trigger) could do it too but that probably wouldn't limit itself to low left only.

How big of a caliber are you shooting?

Have you tried shooting in the position shown in this pic?

The only thing that should be touching the rifle is the top of the hand underneath the buttstock to prop it up and squeezing or relaxing the hand to adjust elevation, and the tips of the index finger and thumb to squeeze the trigger. The only thing that should move (including your entire body) at all before the hammer drops is the trigger. Don't recommend trying it with something you could describe accurately as an elephant gun btw. Your shoulder will not like you all that much with something that big because you take a nasty hit from recoil since the rifle is basically just free floating in front of your shoulder. it does produce hair splitting tack driving accurate shots though assuming the rifle is capable of it.

If you suddenly start shooting good doing that it rules out the firearms as the fault.

If you're doing it with pistols too...

Do you have access to a revolver with a flat barrel top similar to a model 66 S&W? If you do you can use it to evaluate your trigger pull by balancing a quarter between the front sight and the top of the barrel and repeatedly dry firing it as many times as possible without moving the quarter. If your trigger pull is perfect you can do it indefinitely and rule out that as a source of the problem. If your trigger pull is bad the quarter will move around or get knocked off.

Make sure you unload it first so you don't kill the neighbors dog, ferret, wildebeast and their 2.5 kids of course please(just sayin).

That's also the most economical and best way I've found to teach yourself or practice perfect trigger pull too.
    Last edited by stinker; 08-18-2013 at 04:29 AM.
    History has a severe case of stuttering complicated by chronic hiccups.
    It always repeats itself and it never fails that something will go horribly wrong along the way.

Direct democracy is a gang rape. Eight men vote to rape one woman and the woman has to accept it because the majority decided that it was ok. A constitutional republic on the other hand is eight men and one woman with a full mag. Think about it for a while until it hurts your head.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by skipme56 View Post
    I need some help, just here within the last few months every gun I shoot, scoped, or open sighted I shoot low and to the left. What am I doing wrong all of a sudden? Am I pushing the trigger finger and pulling the forearm? Any and all help will be appreciated.
    No clue. One idea, do you wear glasses and have you recently gotten a new pair?

Stinker, this has been happening with everything from airguns to 45/70 in rifles and 17hmr to 45 auto in handguns. I forgot about the old dime trick, I'll have to do that and see what happens. Schuetzenman, I wear contacts and it's about another seven months till I need to get rechecked, but I do wear sunglasses that might change the focal point enough to screw up the shot. Thanks guys, you have give me some ideas on what to look for.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Sounds to me like anticipation too. You want to make the trigger release a surprise.