Thread: Anybody else have a Rock River Armory GI .45?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Anybody else have a Rock River Armory GI .45?

I was going to buy an Ar15 for a friend who recently got back to CA. from Afghanistan but ended up buying a RRA .45 as a gift for him instead, his parents thought THAT was over the top! Got it from Centerfire, my transfer dealer said they are great guns. Said he sold a bunch of them and everyone who bought one said they are quality. He said all the parts will interchange with a Colt. It looks so nice I might need to get one for myself!

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

That's a nice gift. A friend/coworker had a compact Rock Island and currently has two full size models in 9mm. He considers them to be a fairly well made, entry level 1911 and the only complain he's had, if you want to call it that is with the mags. They work well enough but in his opinion the springs weaken quickly. He sold the compact to another coworker and is running Mec-Gar mags in his 9mm pistols with upgraded springs and they run 100%. HTH
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I've owned about 4 different RIA 45 models all were 100% right out the box .

can't beat the price either.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I have had 2 I still have my second one.
    People in general hate the thich grips, but you can replace them with standard ones.

Reliable and accurate out of the box.

I have changed a few things on mine just for fun.
    * Main spring housing with one that has a loop.
    * Grips with double diamond ones.
    * Slide with a WWI Colt.
    All parts exchanged fine except for the extractor.

The ONLY problem I had with the conversion was the WWI repro mag I had no longer works in the gun because the Colt slide hits it. It looks as thought the mag worked fine in the original set up, the slot on the mag for the catch is cut a bit too low, making the mag sit high.

BISHOP

I think you meant to say Rock Island, not Rock River. RIA 1911 pistols are made by Armscor in the Philippines. I looked at them hard before buying my Springfield Mil Spec. I now regret my choice and have sold the Springfield. I'd buy one of these RIA pistols in a heartbeat. They are an outstanding value and just a good pistol by all accounts. I wish I had friends like you!
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2015 davepool's Avatar

I've been seriously considering their .22 TCM 1911, read a lot of good reveiws. I know several folks who have RIAs and hear nothing but good things about them

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 02/2013 s15v8's Avatar

Anybody else have a Rock River Armory GI .45?

I was at a shooting range and one of the range officers watched me shoot my Taurus 1911 .45and let me shoot his rock island .45, it shot great and he told me he got a good deal on it.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk HD

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    I think you meant to say Rock Island, not Rock River. RIA 1911 pistols are made by Armscor in the Philippines. I looked at them hard before buying my Springfield Mil Spec. I now regret my choice and have sold the Springfield. I'd buy one of these RIA pistols in a heartbeat. They are an outstanding value and just a good pistol by all accounts. I wish I had friends like you!
    Yeah! DOOOH....... One of my moments...... You do my friend. Not everyday you get to thank a dedicated guy who just turned 21 AND just got back from Leatherneck! Thanks for your service as an honorable police officer. Thanks 10-32!

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    That's a nice gift. A friend/coworker had a compact Rock Island and currently has two full size models in 9mm. He considers them to be a fairly well made, entry level 1911 and the only complain he's had, if you want to call it that is with the mags. They work well enough but in his opinion the springs weaken quickly. He sold the compact to another coworker and is running Mec-Gar mags in his 9mm pistols with upgraded springs and they run 100%. HTH
    Thanks for the tip RS, I'll be sure to let him know and make a note when I order a Compact model shortly.

Owned one myself. No complaints here!

It was a perfectly serviceable .45acp pistol at a great price!

If there's a better deal out there in a 1911a1 I haven't found it yet.

Quote Originally Posted by 1 Patriot-of-many View Post
    Yeah! DOOOH....... One of my moments...... You do my friend. Not everyday you get to thank a dedicated guy who just turned 21 AND just got back from Leatherneck! Thanks for your service as an honorable police officer. Thanks 10-32!
    Take your hands out of your pockets and grab some hood shitbird.

I'll take a commander please.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    Take your hands out of your pockets and grab some hood shitbird.

I'll take a commander please.
    LOL When I hit the powerball, I'll buy one for every internet friend

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

After hearing my coworker talk about the two in 9mm he has (his daughter shoots one and he shoots the other in competition) I may have to look at getting one.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Thanks everyone for the posts and tips. I'll pass on the info Sunday when we celebrate.