Thread: Recommendations for an entry level crossbow

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Recommendations for an entry level crossbow

Considering adding a crossbow to the armory. Don't plan on hunting with it just something to play with and, well if we every have a zombie apocalypse I guess it'll come in handy for that too. Probably want something with a scope so any recommendation on a package and or scope as well as type/brand of bolts would be appreciated. Thinking I'd like to stay under $500 if possible. TIA
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I had a Crossbow as a ute. It was made by Wham-O the guys that made the first Frisbees. I had a lot of fun with that, I'm sure you will find it a fun experience to own one. On what one to get, hell if I know there must be hundreds of them on the market. Prices range widely as do power and speed. Usually the more power and speed the bolt gets launched with the more money it is going to cost. I would recommend one that has a built in cocking device on it, pulling back the string to lock it in will get tiresome quickly and put a strain on your back IMO. Hey neither one of us is under 50 now so you have to think about these things now.

As with all bow weapons, the bolts / arrows need to be spined for the pressure of the pull that is launching them or accuracy will surely be low. I would think either aluminum or carbon fiber now is probably the thing that is most used.

http://10topratedreviews.com/best-crossbow-reviews/

http://www.outdoorlife.com/photos/ga...ting-bows-2012

http://top5-reviews.com/best-crossbow-reviews/

Here are links to some "best of" reviews on crossbows. The Outdoor Life link in particular should have some veracity to it.

Great info. Thank you.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    There's always one of these if you're on a budget.

You KNEW someone was going to...

Quote Originally Posted by stinker View Post
    There's always one of these if you're on a budget.

You KNEW someone was going to...
    Hey, that might work great in the basement. I can stalk our big tom cat with that one.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Considering adding a crossbow to the armory. Don't plan on hunting with it just something to play with and, well if we every have a zombie apocalypse I guess it'll come in handy for that too.
    OK Daryl

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/369...-infinity-camo

Your thread got me interested in crossbows, use to have one as stated earlier. Got thinking you know this could be fun and I have over 30 yards I could shoot one over in the back yard. My research makes me take note of this one. Hadn't heard of them before but they seem to have a lot of 5 star ratings by buyers. Aluminum pulleys, aluminum track for the arrow. Most Barnett cbows in this price range have injection molded as do most of the other brands. Its fairly light as well some of these can run close to 10 lbs.

Technical Information

•Speed: 305 fps
    •Kinetic Energy: 87 ft-lbs
    •Draw Weight: 185 lb
    •Power Stroke: 13"
    •Overall Length: 38"
    •Axle to Axle Width: 26"
    •Weight: 8 lbs
    •Sights: 3x Multi-Line Scope
    •Bolt Length: 20"

One of the things I really like about this is the built in rope cocking system that retracts after use. It's that black block looking area in the buttstock. Comes with a 3x crossbow scope.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/844...pe-custom-camo Ended up myself placing an order for this one, the Excalibur Axiom. It keeps it simple stupid, just a recurve bow not compound and boy is it light, 6 lbs. with the quiver of arrows on it. Now I wait for it to arrive. Maybe by this weekend!

Last edited by Schuetzenman; 09-03-2013 at 07:35 PM.

I like it. Wonder how much harder, if any it is to cock versus a compound?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Not ever having cocked a compound crossbow I couldn't say. It has a 175 pound pull and comes with a rope cocking device that has 2 hooks for pulling it back to cock. BTW it came in Thursday afternoon and I put it together but lost daylight before I was ready to shoot it. Going to give it a try tonight after work. It is nice and light as advertised. The scope is very clear and has one set of vertical and horizontal cross hairs. It has indicators on the vertical for hold over to further yardages, most bow scopes seem to have additional horizontal cross hairs which clutter the view IMO. Scope comes with Bikini covers that are yellow tinted, you can shoot with them in place I'm thinking. The safety is located at the back of the receiver area above the pistol grip so you can engage or disengage it with your thumb while maintaining your grip. The bow assembly comes strung in the box so after you bolt it to the stock, (2 bolts) it is ready to fire. The scope comes boxed up and you get a set of aluminum rings for mounting it on the pic rail. All bolts in the kit come with an Allen wrench to fit each size, you end up with 3 after assembly. There is a DVD included in the kit to tell you about how to put it together, I still haven't watched it. The written manual is light on detail, more about how to use it safely really.

Lastly Excalibur has a lifetime warranty, if it ever breaks from normal use they will repair or replace it. Bow strings are not covered, they are expected to wear out and need replacement.

This isn't the biggest badest, fastest shooting crossbow on the market, 305 fps and about 80 ft. lbs. of energy from a 20" bolt. I got it to have something I can "shoot" at a target in the backyard of my suburban homestead. I could of purchased about any crossbow on the market, money wasn't an issue. What was is that the big-badass ones shoot so fast they tear up a target quickly. I've read reports from owners rating their purchase that their big fast CB can put a bolt through 2" of lumber and they bury the bolt in a foam target up to the knock. I don't need that kind of power for backyard target shooting. This one is more than adequate to take deer and boar if I need it to, you just have to hold your shots to 20 yards more or less.

Well how much harder than a compound bow I still can't answer but with the rope cocking device that comes with it I can say it isn't that hard to cock the 175 lb. bow. There's a groove on the back of the stock at the top of the pistol grip that the rope lays in. You hook the left side then wrap the rope in the groove and take the 2nd hook down to the right side of the string. You pull up slightly with your left hand and that lets you hook the bow string on the right side with the right hook. You shove both close to the stock on each side and then pull evenly on the handles to pull the bowstring back evenly.

I got it sighted in after about 7 or 8 shots. It is quick and if I was hunting with it I would want to get some string silencers put on it. All in all I'm very satisfied with the Excalibur Axiom crossbow.

If you want a budget crossbow(around $150), I pick 4 popular crossbows from my "Crossbow Comparison Guide"

I list below:

1. Arrow Precision Inferno Fury Crossbow Kit (175-Pounds) - $157.99
    Specs
    ======
    Type: Recurve
    Speed: 235 fps
    Draw Weight: 175 lbs
    Kinetic Energy: 55 ft.-lbs
    Power Stroke: 10.5"
    Mass Weight: 4.84 lbs
    Length: 31"
    Width: 27"
    Trigger Pull: 4 lbs
    Warranty: 1 years

2. Barnet Panzer V Crossbow Package ------------------------------ $173.42
    Specs
    ======
    Type: Recurve
    Speed: 245 fps
    Draw Weight: 150 lbs
    Kinetic Energy: 75 ft.-lbs
    Power Stroke: 9.5"
    Mass Weight: 5.7 lbs
    Length: 33.5"
    Width: 25.5"
    Trigger Pull: 3.5 lbs
    Warranty: 5 years

3. Barnett RC 150 Package ----------------------------------------… $209.92
    Specs
    ======
    Type: Compound
    Speed: 260 fps
    Kinetic Energy: 75 ft.-lbs
    Power Stroke: 9.5"
    Mass Weight: 5.7 lbs
    Length: 33.5"
    Width: 25.5"
    Trigger Pull: 3.5 lbs
    Warranty: 5 years

4. Arrow Precision Blitz II Crossbow ----------------------------------- $219.18
    Specs
    ======
    Type: Compound
    Speed: 285 fps
    Kinetic Energy: 64 ft.-lbs
    Power Stroke: 12.5"
    Mass Weight: 6.25 lbs
    Length: 35"
    Width: 28.5"
    Trigger Pull: 4 lbs
    Warranty: 1 years

With that being said, I DO suggest you buy a higher quality crossbow before you enter the woods. You will have a TOTALLY different hunting experience there.