Thread: Ruger P97??

Ruger P97??

A buddy of mine is considering a Ruger P97. ETA: could be the P95, gimme reveiws on both . He wants to by American made, I have no clue if they are completely made here or manufactured elswhere and assembled here or what the scoop is on that. Looking for opinions on this gun. Anybody who owns or has shot one chime in please.
    Thanks!
    Scooter
    Last edited by Scootertrash; 09-19-2010 at 07:02 AM.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Ruger P95

Ruger P97

Scooter, the Ruger P-series pistols are all American-made. The P95 has a frame made of fiberglass-reinforced polyurethane based on Dow Chemical's "Isoplast". The P95 was introduced in 1997, chambered in 9mm, and is still in production. The P97 was based on the P95, but chambered in .45 ACP. The P97 was made from 1999-2004. Hope this helps!

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

I've got a P95DC, very good gun, accurate, dependable. Have never had a jam or malfunction. I carry it in the car I use.

Ruger autos are highly underated.

Rage

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I fell for the P95 after reading a magazine report of a 20,000 round torture test in which after all that shooting, there was no measurable wear on the pistol. They were afraid that the frame, which is all polymer with no metal inserts for the slide to ride on, would shred itself. It didn't. They then ran some hot and cold testing on the pistol and found they couldn't hurt it. That sold me.

I bought one, and it has proven to be a very accurate, 100% reliable pistol. I currently keep is fully loaded at all times as my home defense weapon. I have carried it every now and then, but have since gone to something smaller. That doesn't mean that I don't pull it out and have a good time with it!

As Rage said, a very underrated firearm!

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    +1 on the P-95, I've had one for years and it's been a solid performer. once I had a ruptured primer with it, where a piece of the primer jammed itself into the fireing pin hole, the gun continued to shoot, requireing a second hammer strike on in 1 or 2 out of 10 shots. The fireing pin wasin't even touching the primer to set off the round, it was transfering the blow through the ruptured piece of primer. how many other pistols could manage that?

if he's thinking of a p-97 he should take a gander at the P-345, which is the updated version that replaced it.

Thumbs up

The P95 9mm and the P97 .45 auto are decent pistols for very little money, the 97 however has been replaced by a model that's anything but decent, the P345. The P95 is not much to look at, offering little in the way of pride in ownership, but they are from my experience, very good performers, particularly considering that you can get one NIB for about $260.00! You can do a lot worse then a P95.
    "Shoot him, cut out his tongue, then shoot his tongue"

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post

if he's thinking of a p-97 he should take a gander at the P-345, which is the updated version that replaced it.
    No, he shouldn't! The P345's are virtually POS, the pistol is notorious for "Click, No Bang" due to its awful & flawed magazine disconnect safety. Ruger has steadfastly refused to fix this serious, potentially lethal flaw in their design, instead fixing them everytime they malfunction for free. There are thousands of them out there that unsuspecting buyers have no idea that the thing can be ruined by even one dry-fire with the magazine not seated. There have been hundreds where the magazine disconnect malfunctioned even with the magazine properly seated!
    "Shoot him, cut out his tongue, then shoot his tongue"

Quote Originally Posted by American Rage View Post

Rage
    Excellent point.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

Rage
    I own just one Auto, a Ruger LCP.Great little pistol.I owned a P95 and I was disappointed in the quality and accuracy of that particular pistol.The polymer lower cracked and was replaced.Then I sold it off ASAP.I got a Glock soon after and never looked at the Ruger Autos much since.
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.

Quote Originally Posted by AKTexas View Post
    I own just one Auto, a Ruger LCP.Great little pistol.I owned a P95 and I was disappointed in the quality and accuracy of that particular pistol.The polymer lower cracked and was replaced.Then I sold it off ASAP.I got a Glock soon after and never looked at the Ruger Autos much since.
    I chose the G19 Glock over the KP95 Ruger for one reason only: G18 mags!

Rage

Moderator & Team Gunsnet SILVER 01/2011 AKTexas's Avatar

I chose the G19 Glock over the KP95 Ruger for one reason only: G18 mags!

Rage
    LOL
    NRA, TSRA, GUN OWNERS OF AMERICA
    BEING THE MODERATOR OF THE ROADHOUSE IS LIKE BEING THE JANITOR OF A PEEP SHOW.