Thread: First build horror stories?

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

First build horror stories?

I've got $500 saved up towards buying the tools needed for building AK's. From what I can tell, the worst things you can do is fuck up a few flats before getting it right, or if not heat treated properly, the rivet holes will over time become egg shaped and the parts of the rifle will come loose. Or if you fail to check the head spacing properly before firing you can wind up with a serious problem in your hands... I've already accepted that first few builds will not come out the way I want and I will probably ruin a few flats before I get it right, and probably have to rebuild my first "successful" build or two. But in the mean time, I'm looking to place any and all helpful tips, tricks, and what NOT to do information and resources in one place, so I'm posting this. Call me lazy. So guys, what's the worst thing that's happened to you in your early builds? What caused it? Can the problem in question be easily fixed? Or did you have to scrap the project and start over on a new receiver and possibly replace some of the parts?

welcome to the forum..I personally cannot answer any of these questions. but i am very intrested in the advise you receive,
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Moderator & Team GunsNet SILVER 11/2010 Tx Dogblaster's Avatar

The most important thing is patience. Taking your time is the most important. If you do that and have the tools that you need then you shouldn't have to scrap any flats. Below are a few things to remember:
    1) Get a 5mm & 7mm reamer
    2) Heat treat: Ejector tip (before welding lower rails), Hammer & Trigger pin holes
    3) Take your time opening up the magwell & trimming mag guides on lower rails
    4) If you make your own center supports, make sure they're heat treated or they will collapse
    5) Rivet order:
    a) Install Front trunnion then weld lower rails
    b) Install center support
    c) Install Rear Trunnion
    d) Install Trigger Guard

Hope this was at least somewhat helpful. Good luck and post pics!