Thread: New to me Remington M887 Nitromag

Team GunsNetwork PLATINUM 10/2012 rci2950's Avatar

New to me Remington M887 Nitromag

I finally got on track with the guy selling it and he actually delivered it to me. Looks good. Not much use on it. It is a newer one as well not the early model. I will be taking it to the farm on monday morning to blast the pidgeons with it. I will give a range report after that.

So far very happy. It is solidly made, points well, is well balanced and not too heavy. Going from using a 1976 Wingmaster as my primary shotgun to this will be a good upgrade I think, I will retire the old wingmaster to pheasant hunting on nice days. I am also going to give more of an effort to get out duck hunting this year.

anyway enough blather and some pics.

Notice the rotating bolt. Pretty neat. Action cycles smoothly and locks up nicely.

I think this one is going to be a treat.

Gunsnet member since 2002
    Salt Water Cowboy - Dolphin 38

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Looks great and very up to being used in wet weather given the polymer stock and finish on the metal. It should be able to do anything you want it to. I would suggest going out and patterning the weapon to see where it drops the pattern relative to point of aim. I see it has a rib and if you are use to shooting a shotgun with only a bead on the barrel you may find yourself shooting under things and missing.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I see it has a rib and if you are use to shooting a shotgun with only a bead on the barrel you may find yourself shooting under things and missing.
    Thant is good advice, because my Wingmaster is not ribbed. I will definitely do that monday when I take it out.. I am sure i can find a big cardboard box to flatten out for this purpose. Thanks

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Looks nice. My buddy is in the market for a new dove gun and that would fill the bill...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Well had the shotgun out today and shot a bunch of pidgins with it. It is right on the money. No jamming or misfeeds. Only thing you have to pay attention to is if you limp wrist the slide sometimes it wont go completely into battery. Easy to see if it isn't by simply pulling back on the slide and if it will open then ram it shut again. Probably because it isn't even broken in yet. I don't think the guy even put more then two boxes of shells though it. I am very happy. 100% satisfied. Sometime this week I may get out for some evening racoon shooting. See how well this new toy puts #2 shot though racoons.

I am not really sure what all the bad reviews were about on other forums. This is a phenomenal shotgun. I am use to using a Remington Wingmaster and this was a pretty smooth transition. It is a lot more durable then the wingmaster and lighter. Although it is not as pretty and fine as the Wingmaster it is a workhorse and built to be beat around.

Team GunsNet Silver 07/2012 NewbieAKguy's Avatar

I got to shoulder one of the 887 "tactical" models at a gunshow last weekend. I must admit that it felt pretty good and weighed less than I thought it would.
    "The God who gave us life, gave us liberty at the same time; the hand of force may destroy, but cannot disjoin them. ... Can the liberties of a nation be thought secure when we have removed their only firm basis, a conviction in the minds of the people that these liberties are the gift of God? That they are not to be violated but with His wrath? Indeed I tremble for my country when I reflect that God is just: that his justice cannot sleep for ever."--Thomas Jefferson