Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Modern Rifle season for deer?

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Modern Rifle season for deer?

I'm originally from Ohio, and the only guns you could hunt game (other than varmints) with are shotguns and muzzle loaders. So being abled to Deer hunt with any centerfire rifle in Arkansas is nice. But since there is a season for "Evil Black Rifles", I think I'll have to see if my AK is up for the task of deer hunting (wouldn't trust my AR, shooting .223/ 5.56), which means I'll need to be in a hurry to get it feeding hollow points reliably by December! And get it more precisely sighted in so as to actually make the quick & humane heart/ lung shot. Typically shooting 3" groups at 100 meters and usually slightly to the right of center, but the first shot is generally just about right on the money. What I'm not sure if I like about the season is no mag capacity. Sure, it'd be nice to have a full 30 in case I run into bobcats, black bear, or the rare cougar, but It really takes the sport out of the hunt to be using that many shots. Anyone else do this?
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

It surprises me they don't limit mag capacity for the hunt. 5 rounds in a mag should be more than enough. If you miss the deer is going to go into high gear running off. If you can't hit it standing still your chances of hitting it going warp 9 are even less. IMO no need to blast the shit out of the country side trying to make up for the missed first shot.

Now if you think there's a band of dangerous killer wild life in the area, pack a loaded 30 rounder in your pocket. Shouldn't take that long to swap out a 5 rounder for a 30.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 10-03-2013 at 06:21 AM.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2013 alismith's Avatar

MD has an 8-round mag. limit for hunting deer. When I used to hunt deer, I'd either use a .30-30 Winchester, an AK (with a 5-round mag.), or my Brit .303 (loaded with only 8-rounds in the mag.). All were dead on at 100 yds. or less. I hunted woods rather than fields, so 100 yds. was about the longest shot I was able to take.

If you want to hunt with your AK, it would be a good idea to get a 5-round mag. and use that. For more protection from dangerous animals, why not carry a backup revolver on your hip? MD law says if you are carrying a pistol/revolver, it must be one that is legal for deer, too. The smallest caliber allowed here is .357 Mag.
    "Valar morghulis; valar dohaeris."

Commucrats are most efficient at converting sins and crimes to accidents or misunderstandings.-Oswald Bastable

Making good people helpless won't make bad people harmless.

Freedom isn't free.

"Attitude is the paintbrush that colors our world." TV Series, Haven.

My Spirit Animal has rabies.

I'd rather be an American than a Democrat.

"If you can make a man afraid, you can control him" Netflix Series, The Irregulars

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    I'm originally from Ohio, and the only guns you could hunt game (other than varmints) with are shotguns and muzzle loaders. So being abled to Deer hunt with any centerfire rifle in Arkansas is nice. But since there is a season for "Evil Black Rifles", I think I'll have to see if my AK is up for the task of deer hunting (wouldn't trust my AR, shooting .223/ 5.56), which means I'll need to be in a hurry to get it feeding hollow points reliably by December! And get it more precisely sighted in so as to actually make the quick & humane heart/ lung shot. Typically shooting 3" groups at 100 meters and usually slightly to the right of center, but the first shot is generally just about right on the money. What I'm not sure if I like about the season is no mag capacity. Sure, it'd be nice to have a full 30 in case I run into bobcats, black bear, or the rare cougar, but It really takes the sport out of the hunt to be using that many shots. Anyone else do this?
    if you only knew how many deer i've killed with my A.R. in 223. i've had to literally double tap a couple bucks but if you make a clean shot in the lung/heart area they will flop over or it will be over within 40 yards.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 EddieB310's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by silentkilla View Post
    if you only knew how many deer i've killed with my A.R. in 223. i've had to literally double tap a couple bucks but if you make a clean shot in the lung/heart area they will flop over or it will be over within 40 yards.
    Now that regular season is open, you will have to stop poaching, right ?

(wouldn't trust my AR, shooting .223/ 5.56
    Are you familiar with the 300BLK? It only takes a barrel swap on your AR and you're good to go.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

On a hill with the view of the rest of my life.
    I hunt with 6.8. Does the job just fine. 5 Rnd mag. Sierra 110 gr Pro Hunters self loaded.

AK... go for it!

Last edited by btcave; 09-29-2013 at 09:30 PM.
    Trying to get on the no fly list, one post at a time.

I've read on 300 blackout, but I've never shot it or even seen it on shelves around here. I'm interested in it, but am currently saving money for build materials. Haven't looked to much into 6.8, but again, it's not a common round around here. I have seen Winchester .223 65 grain hollow points that are supposed to be suitable for deer, but I like my 1 shot drops and have heard too many stories like yours for me to be comfortable with it Silent. :P
    Ali, my only hand gun at the moment is a .22... I wouldn't rely on it for much aside from the possibility of a scare tactic, which isn't guaranteed to work. Schuetz, we have an abundance of Bobcats and wild hogs in the area, and Black Bear are pretty common. Cougars have been sighted and acknowledged by the Arkansas Game and Fish Commission to be making a return to the Northwest Arkansas region, but they aren't common and there is no season on them. I have no intend to hunt anything outside of Deer and Turkey for the moment, but none of the above mentioned animals are something I want to cross and only have 5-10 rounds available. I probably will purchase a 5 or 10 round double stack mag for the hunt and keep a spare 30 on me just in case as you suggested.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

have heard too many stories like yours for me to be comfortable with it Silent.
    ?????

Quote Originally Posted by EddieB310 View Post
    Now that regular season is open, you will have to stop poaching, right ?
    haha! i guess so my friend!
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    ?????
    That was my response to Silent saying the .223 is a suitable round for deer hunting, though he has to double tap them. As in I don't like having to double tap, and it seems like most who have tried to deer hunt with an AR chambered in .223/ 5.56 typically report similar results.

That was my response to Silent saying the .223 is a suitable round for deer hunting, though he has to double tap them. As in I don't like having to double tap, and it seems like most who have tried to deer hunt with an AR chambered in .223/ 5.56 typically report similar results.
    Oh, I get it now. Thank you.

Someone mentioned the 6.8. It is a VERY good hunting round with excellent ballistics. My only gripe about it is that it uses a lot of proprietary components and in the past has had an issue with cracked bolts. (keep a spare in the pistol grip)

Right now I'm very big on the 300BLK. If you are currently running an AR all you need to do is swap barrels and you are good to go. Ballistics are decent and many folks are using it for hunting deer and hogs successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Oh, I get it now. Thank you.

Someone mentioned the 6.8. It is a VERY good hunting round with excellent ballistics. My only gripe about it is that it uses a lot of proprietary components and in the past has had an issue with cracked bolts. (keep a spare in the pistol grip)

Right now I'm very big on the 300BLK. If you are currently running an AR all you need to do is swap barrels and you are good to go. Ballistics are decent and many folks are using it for hunting deer and hogs successfully.

This.

I have heard many stories of guys taking Whitetail deer up to 300yds away with .300BLK (supersonic of course).
    Here's to pussy and gunpowder. One to live for, the other to die by.....Goddamn though, I do love the smell of 'em both !!!

I'll definitely give .300 blackout a look when I can, but it sure as shit won't be this season...

this year i'm going with my remington 700/ 308. got the big buck with it last year. as for the 223, you shoot them in the neck when your meat hunting they will go down no prob. my deal was i was meat hunting for some doe and this 200 pound 8 point kinda stepped in my way. probably did not half to put two in him but i might have got a little excited...... lol

Always wanted to hunt with a AR but i think .223 is under powered for the ranges I hunt. I like the idea of a light semi-auto that can be good protection against large predators in my hunting area. Also the light profile and easy recoil would make a great brush gun. I might build a .308 AR-10 for hunting and that would have all the knock down power I could ever want. I seen AR-15s chambered in .243 and that's also a consideration as well as 6.8. 6.8 is very hard to find in my area tho so would prob have to learn how to re-load to make it worth my time. 300 blLK looks interesting and now that suppressor hunting is legal in my area it could be great silent hunting. Might be able to take a few deer down before they noticed they were being shot at. Anything lighter than .243 I wouldn't take a chance at hunting at any distance beyond 50 yards even with a well placed neck/head shot.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    It surprises me they don't limit mag capacity for the hunt. 5 rounds in a mag should be more than enough. If you miss the deer is going to go into high gear running off. If you can't hit it standing still your chances of hitting it going warp 9 are even less. IMO no need to blast the shit out of the country side trying to make up for the missed first shot.

Now if you think there's a band of dangerous killer wild life in the area, pack a loaded 30 rounder in your pocket. Shouldn't take that long to swap out a 5 rounder for a 30.
    Are you really supporting a magazine capacity limit while hunting?

Its fine with me if you want to limit yourself, but I don't want to have to mod my SKS or my PSL mags or buy 5 round AR and AK mags if I ever wanted to use them.

I don't want to shoot up the hill side, I just don't think the state should obligate me to buy special shit for my guns, when they're MY guns.

There is no mag limit in South Carolina, FYI, but I don't hunt anyway.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

How about this for a hunting EBR: Springfield M1a Scout Squad (18" barrel)

(Pic taken from google)
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

A standard AK will make a find deer gun. I would go with 150 grain soft point handloads. If you're not a handloader, go with a 123 grain soft point - Winchester makes a decent load. The hollow points aren't going to expand and will act like fmjs - which will still kill the deer but a soft point is better imho.

And I second the use of AR/5.56 for deer hunting - an x-bullet or 60 grain partition are fine deer medicine. Heck, a standard 62 grain 885 will do the job.

It's all about bullet placement... for the millionth time
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Are you really supporting a magazine capacity limit while hunting?

Its fine with me if you want to limit yourself, but I don't want to have to mod my SKS or my PSL mags or buy 5 round AR and AK mags if I ever wanted to use them.

I don't want to shoot up the hill side, I just don't think the state should obligate me to buy special shit for my guns, when they're MY guns.

There is no mag limit in South Carolina, FYI, but I don't hunt anyway.
    It's for safety reasons that the states limit mag capacities. You often wind up with a lot of hunters in a little bit of wilderness. The idea is that by limiting your magazine, you will be more choosey about your shots and not sending off a lot of errant rounds that could potentially strike another hunter. For hunting purposes, I'm ok with mag limits. Because it's not usually a life or death situation. But I do think it should be acceptable to carry a fully loaded standard or high capacity magazine as a back up in case of need for defensive situation when dealing with the more dangerous wildlife in some areas. I'm, simply out for fun, honing my skills, and learning some important basic survival skills when I'm hunting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast