Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: curious..just for the hell of it..if a shtf thing happens..are we all squared away?

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Ducati View Post
    Just another side note...

My 6 year old son and I have been watching a log of Man vs. Wild and now the new one Man/Woman/Wild.... last night, stranded on an island, they ate eel, coconut crabs, sea slugs...

Talking with my son in past, we discussed eating possum and squirrel.... no way was his comment. After watching the shows and putting starvation together with not eating, he said he'd eat anything to stay alive if he was hungry enough.

I've got a lot of freeze dried 30 year shelf food stored.... a few tid bits of squirrel/possum/deer would go a long way in these stews Might want to start desensitizing your family to this possibility of eating wild game now.
    Desensitizing??? My family and I have eaten wild game our whole lives..Poor folks, have poor ways.
    We will cut our enemies down in droves
    Our fires will be the substance of their nightmares
    The fields of the dead shall serve as evidence of our passing

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
    And I looked and behold, a pale horse
    And his name that sat on him was Death
    And Hell followed with him.

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

"curious..just for the hell of it..if a shtf thing happens..are we all squared away?"

NO.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

no.

Uber - that reminds me, can I borrow one of your Rambo head bands? I know you have extras....

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Uber - that reminds me, can I borrow one of your Rambo head bands? I know you have extras....
    I got a rotating tie rack with a handfull of them, no problem!

Quote Originally Posted by ubersoldate View Post
    I got a rotating tie rack with a handfull of them, no problem!
    You the man!!! Thanks

I may not be ready, but now I'm gonna LOOK ready
    Last edited by O.S.O.K.; 09-21-2010 at 04:44 PM.

Do the math. 900k survivors of WOMD flowing out of a metro area such as Atlanta.

Flowing into suburban areas, most I think will be heading for the mountains thinking they will live off the wildlife. Which will be a joke.

What kind of values and ethics do these inner city people have?

What you going to do when they come for you!!!!

No one is ready!!!

Keep the last bullets for your family.

Sorry, I am not very optimistic tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    The squirrels in our yard here in town would make good eating, since my wife feeds them corn year round and they also eat sunflower seeds from the bird feeders. Little bastards, if they only knew what I have planned for them, Bwaaaahaha! If the SHTF, I'll turn the neighborhood into a squirrel Cambodia!!!

Squirrel is great for kids to eat. Set out a saucer with their plates and let them have a contest of who finds the most shotgun pellets in their dinner.

All we have here is cats and several kinds of freeloading birds I'd love to get my chance at some day. At least the cats will keep the mice at bay, but the birds eat-up more than half of our fruit from the trees every year and then leave calling cards all over the vehicles and patio furniture.

Well, it all depends.

And that is the problem.

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sisyphus View Post
    Squirrel is great for kids to eat. Set out a saucer with their plates and let them have a contest of who finds the most shotgun pellets in their dinner.

All we have here is cats and several kinds of freeloading birds I'd love to get my chance at some day. At least the cats will keep the mice at bay, but the birds eat-up more than half of our fruit from the trees every year and then leave calling cards all over the vehicles and patio furniture.
    Do you know any Vietnamese?

Do you know any Vietnamese?
    For recipes?

zoff12,
    thats what i was getting at,
    i was not talking about eating wildlife(i can shoot a rabbit/deer)or being prepared for some juvenile zombie movie scenario.(have more weapons/fortifications then i probably will ever need)
    i was talking more about the moral issue one may face,i was thinking about it..i know good people that are woefully unprepared for a frigging blackout..let alone a really bad day.
    i was thinking more of the christian thing to do?
    i dont want to turn away a good person that is in need..but i dont want to short me(selfish) or let a scumbag in..and i am sure there will be plenty of them.
    someone said they would send nieces down the road..i could not do that.
    let some punks from dahood..i got no prob popping them..but the question remains..what if a long lost uncle/family member comes crawling up..i am not sure what i would do..shoot em and put them out of their misery..help them...maybe they are an asset..maybe they are no good....
    or 1 could say..screw em all and just shoot all that enter my perimeter...not very christian though.

Quote Originally Posted by dishman View Post
    zoff12,
    i was not talking about eating wildlife(i can shoot a rabbit/deer)or being prepared for some juvenile zombie movie scenario.(have more weapons/fortifications then i probably will ever need)
    i was talking more about the moral issue one may face,i was thinking about it..i know good people that are woefully unprepared for a frigging blackout..let alone a really bad day.
    i dont want to turn away a good person that is in need..but i dont want to short me(selfish) or let a scumbag in..and i am sure there will be plenty of them.
    let some punks from dahood..i got no prob popping them..but the question remains..what if a long lost uncle/family member comes crawling up..i am not sure what i would do..shoot em and put them out of their misery..help them...maybe they are an asset..maybe they are no good....
    or 1 could say..screw em all and just shoot all that enter my perimeter...not very christian though.
    In that aspect of it, yes Im prepared. I can make decisions involving life or death. it wouldnt be pleasant but I can do it.
    We will cut our enemies down in droves
    Our fires will be the substance of their nightmares
    The fields of the dead shall serve as evidence of our passing

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
    And I looked and behold, a pale horse
    And his name that sat on him was Death
    And Hell followed with him.

For recipes?
    Of course!

Quote Originally Posted by dishman View Post
    zoff12,
    I have long milled that around in my head. Came down to this conclusion... there are some in my family that I would let in. There are some I would not. I have "preached" to all of them. Some were receptive. I have a B-in-L that, he and his wife, give us money monthly to add to the supplies. They know they are coming here so I just store it. It has been a big help. Immediate family... mine and my Wife's... brothers, sisters, parents... I could not turn them away. Within reason. If they show up with a posse in tow or a shit load of their inlaws... no way. By themselves... yes. I have a few (very few) friends that are welcome. But those friends are more than capable of adding to the defense... ex and/or current military/LEO or just good at defense. Some of them are capable of other things... farming, mechanics, carpentry, machine work, etc. My B-in-Law is a mechanic and awesome fabricator. All of those skills will be useful. Outside of that... too bad, so sad... see ya. Most would be allowed to go along their merry way. Any that show hostility and give me reason to believe they would return in a hostile manner... pop goes the weasel. Yeah... I have thought this out.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Of course!
    Not a bad idea. I'll have to look into it.

Not a bad idea. I'll have to look into it.
    Make sure to share which ones taste the best.

I have some food, lots of ammo and cool down weapons, plenty of water, and a 7 Handles of Old No. 7 Tennessee whiskey. I went from 6'2" 295 lbs (32% fat 42" waist)... to a lean 6'2" 230 lbs (15% fat 34" Waist) and take Thai Kickboxing. If the S hits the F; I'm alot more ready then most.
    "Verily, I have often laughed at the weaklings who thought themselves good because they had no claws."
    -Nietzsche

"Accept the challenges, so that you may feel the exhilaration of victory."
    -George S. Patton

Past a short period of time, I seriously doubt anyone is ready.

Zoff,

I'm the one that said I'd give the food to my own kids first... I know that sounds extremely selfish...

Its very easy to sit behind a keyboard and type "what ifs" and how you would react.... truth is, IF I actually had family on my front step begging for food, I'd probably give it to them...

But if came down to your last container of food and its all you had... would you still share or give it to your children?

I do think about this, and I'll even go so far as to say that I would deny myself as I know my wife would too to see the continued survival of our children...

Heck, there were reports of Jews in the concentration camps that were letting their own blood and feeding it to their children... that's hardcore instinct right there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast