Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: curious..just for the hell of it..if a shtf thing happens..are we all squared away?

Quote Originally Posted by swampdragon View Post
    I don't have any sheep.
    Just cattle and horses running around.
    Caveman can have the horses then..
    We will cut our enemies down in droves
    Our fires will be the substance of their nightmares
    The fields of the dead shall serve as evidence of our passing

And I heard a voice in the midst of the four beasts
    And I looked and behold, a pale horse
    And his name that sat on him was Death
    And Hell followed with him.

Nope. No it isn't. Agreed.

I suppose I could go with lots of barbed wire, tangle foot, motion sensor lights, trip flares and warning devices.....
    but that is tough too when you have livestock wandering around.
    I never had to check behind me to see if they were there either. Its not what people think.

Some concertina with chickens etc makes an excellent alarm system; plus the eggs are free.

You can make poor man's breakwire, motion detectors activating a panel.

You have livestock; I have deer, bear etc.. lol

Being a farm boy does have it's advantages. Already have barbed wire, cows, chickens, wild game, river and pond for fish, etc. Grew up hunting and fishing, learning how to grow things and slaughter animals. Most of my family from big cities have no clue how to survive.
    Skäl
    "Where you recognize evil, speak out against it, and give no truces to your enemies." - 'Havamal'.

Quote Originally Posted by Zoff12 View Post
    Being a farm boy does have it's advantages. Already have barbed wire, cows, chickens, wild game, river and pond for fish, etc. Grew up hunting and fishing, learning how to grow things and slaughter animals. Most of my family from big cities have no clue how to survive.

Chickens, chicken coops are nasty; I grew up with them so I know.. lol

I've seen quite a few houses with chickens, ducks and goats; I keep seeing more each year.

If and when the starving city people would ever head to the country; it will be a hell of a mess.

PS ground hog patrol can teach wind doping..

Team GunsNet Silver 04/2014 El Jefe's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post

I've seen quite a few houses with chickens, ducks and goats; I keep seeing more each year.

If and when the starving city people would ever head to the country; it will be a hell of a mess.

Yeah they can be. Dad used to make my brother and I clean it out roughly once a week. I wish I could raise chickens here.

swampdragon
    Quote Originally Posted by HDR View Post

If I ever do get chickens....I thought about lining the inside of the coup with plexi-glass or something I can hose off.
    Oh...and I want one of these.....lol

Quote Originally Posted by Jefferson View Post
    Yeah they can be. Dad used to make my brother and I clean it out roughly once a week. I wish I could raise chickens here.

We used the crap mixed with water as a fertilizer. I would dump it into a rain barrel where the "waste materials" and water would ferment into a nasty liquid fertilizer. The best part was fill a bucket and ladle it around tomato plants without getting any of it on the plants. It was one of the nastiest chores I had. The other extreme was shooting up 30 Cal ball, AP and tracers for reloading. If bullet pullers existed then my father never bought one or maybe I was cheaper?

FWIW, the downside of having enough chickens to supply your needs is there is usually extra eggs..

If I ever do get chickens....I thought about lining the inside of the coup with plexi-glass or something I can hose off.
    Oh...and I want one of these.....
    To let light in there were windows in the coops. Trust me chicken shit will stick to glass and dry; it will stick to glass, metal, and wood.

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234