Thread: Is it worth it to buy a x39 AK?

Is it worth it to buy a x39 AK?

I was looking around at the ridiculous prices for kits and ammo nowadays and wondering if I should even bother. Is there any indication the prices are going to go down?

I've owned one x39 and loved it (Century-built Yugo M70AB2) and sold it years ago and I miss it. I have a 5.56 being built for me right now but I'm getting the hankering for another x39.

depends on what you want. to bad you sold your m70ab2. wait a little while the prices will go up. my .02
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    I was looking around at the ridiculous prices for kits and ammo nowadays and wondering if I should even bother. Is there any indication the prices are going to go down?

I've owned one x39 and loved it (Century-built Yugo M70AB2) and sold it years ago and I miss it. I have a 5.56 being built for me right now but I'm getting the hankering for another x39.
    If I could have only one rifle, it would be an X39 Kalashnikov, without a doubt.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Here is a good quality imported Yugo with its new Yugo barrel. All Century does to these is install the Tapco G2 and mill out the mag-well. From what I understand they come in the country with the proper double stack trunnion and everything else pre-installed. Its the best AK deal going from what I can tell:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...r=700|701|1028 Price: $579.00 each

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Here is a good quality imported Yugo with its new Yugo barrel. All Century does to these is install the Tapco G2 and mill out the mag-well. From what I understand they come in the country with the proper double stack trunnion and everything else pre-installed. Its the best AK deal going from what I can tell:

http://www.wideners.com/itemdetail.c...r=700|701|1028 Price: $579.00 each

+1; the Serbian made AK's seem like a very good deal.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    I agree that prices these days are crazy high, but to be honest I don't expect them to go down. If 10 years ago you would have told me that WASR-10s would be selling for well over $500 and MAK-90s for over $700 I would have told you "no way" but with all the silliness in our government, and so many new people getting into these rifles as either hobby or panic, prices skyrocketed and more than likely will not go down.

Same with rifles that have been cut down due to not meeting the modern 2nd amendment only to be imported to be rebuilt to ATF (not constitutional) standards (known as kits). They too have skyrocketed in price.

The Yugos seem to be the one of the few variants that Century did right, and if you can get your hands one one, do so.

As for some of the older rifles, like the Chinese, while their prices are high compared to "yesterday" they might prove to be a good purchase when we look back on today in two or three years.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

It is hard to tell a person what they should buy and what is worth while. Weapons are a personal choice thing. There are many ways to look at why you want or need a particular weapon. Ultimately you need to decide, what I think works for me, but may not work for you.

Now myself, I use to be all about the x39 AK. I've built over a dozen when the kits were under $130 each, use to have all the tooling. I sold them all when Obama won the White House the first time in 2008. They and the ammo shot up in price and I cashed in and standardized on 5.56 / .223 weapons as my midrange types. I have a Romanian SAR-3 in 5.56 chambering. I still have it because it is as accurate as an out of the box A2 AR15 and because it uses the same rounds as my AR rifles.

Frankly an AK74 makes more sense right now as they usually are more accurate than the 7.62x39 chambered AK rifles and the ammo, (Russian or Bulgarian) surplus is running under 17 cents a round. That's up from what it use to be around 11 cents a round but it is still half the cost of 7.62x39 ammo. If I was to get into an AK now it would be the 5.45x39 chambering. I'd get 20 mags and at least 10 of the sealed spam cans for it to make sure I had a good supply on hand should it go missing from the market place.

here are some others including some m70ab2.

http://centerfiresystems.com/

let us know.

be the heat..

I'm sorry about the confusion, guys. I wasn't looking right now (I've got too many projects making me poor enough as it is ), but I was thinking about saving up for one late last week and spent the weekend looking over the prices of rifles and ammo. My conclusion was as much as I might want one, it's not going to be as cheap as it was when I had my first AK. Thanks to Panic Buys and Feinstein the ammo is expensive and the rifles are ridiculously priced. I was only trying to see if anyone else had the same thoughts as me.

But that is a decent price for that O-PAP (considering). Thanks, Funky.

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post

Frankly an AK74 makes more sense right now as they usually are more accurate than the 7.62x39 chambered AK rifles and the ammo, (Russian or Bulgarian) surplus is running under 17 cents a round. That's up from what it use to be around 11 cents a round but it is still half the cost of 7.62x39 ammo. If I was to get into an AK now it would be the 5.45x39 chambering. I'd get 20 mags and at least 10 of the sealed spam cans for it to make sure I had a good supply on hand should it go missing from the market place.
    I concur. My SAIGA/Arsenal SGL31 is as accurate as my M15A2 AR. Part of that is due to the high quality of the Russian components in it, but I think a lot has to do with the inherent accuracy of the 5.45x39 round, ballistically very close to the 5.56 NATO cartridge. And as you stated, surplus Russian & Bulgarian 5.45 can be currently had for under $200 for a tin of 1,000 rounds.

I still have 3 AK variants chambered in 7.62x39 but the SGL31 has become my favorite shooter. Having a 8x Nikon scope on it is nice, too.
    Last edited by mrkalashnikov; 10-18-2013 at 10:22 AM.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mrkalashnikov View Post
    I concur. My SAIGA/Arsenal SGL31 is as accurate as my M15A2 AR. Part of that is due to the high quality of the Russian components in it, but I think a lot has to do with the inherent accuracy of the 5.45x39 round, ballistically very close to the 5.56 NATO cartridge. And as you stated, surplus Russian & Bulgarian 5.45 can be currently had for under $200 for a tin of 1,000 rounds.

I still have 3 AK variants chambered in 7.62x39 but the SGL31 has become my favorite shooter. Having a 8x Nikon scope on it is nice, too.
    I bet that Nikon scope does maker for some very precise grouping. Nice! Photos?

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    It is hard to tell a person what they should buy and what is worth while. Weapons are a personal choice thing. There are many ways to look at why you want or need a particular weapon. Ultimately you need to decide, what I think works for me, but may not work for you.

Now myself, I use to be all about the x39 AK. I've built over a dozen when the kits were under $130 each, use to have all the tooling. I sold them all when Obama won the White House the first time in 2008. They and the ammo shot up in price and I cashed in and standardized on 5.56 / .223 weapons as my midrange types. I have a Romanian SAR-3 in 5.56 chambering. I still have it because it is as accurate as an out of the box A2 AR15 and because it uses the same rounds as my AR rifles.

cheaper ammo gone.

Blasts from the past.........

be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    Those aren't coming in any more AFAIK.

The N-pap rifles are still around, so are the underfolder, pistol version, and .308 version.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    cheaper ammo gone.

Blasts from the past.........
    7.62x39 is still around .25 cent per round.

What else you going to shoot that cheap?

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Asking the guys on this board if you should buy an AK-47?

Hell yah!

How could you not own one already!

And you can find decent deals on 7.62x39 ammo - not like the old days but $240ish/case. That's still pretty dang cheap.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by RCS View Post
    I'm sorry about the confusion, guys. I wasn't looking right now (I've got too many projects making me poor enough as it is ), but I was thinking about saving up for one late last week and spent the weekend looking over the prices of rifles and ammo. My conclusion was as much as I might want one, it's not going to be as cheap as it was when I had my first AK. Thanks to Panic Buys and Feinstein the ammo is expensive and the rifles are ridiculously priced. I was only trying to see if anyone else had the same thoughts as me.

But that is a decent price for that O-PAP (considering). Thanks, Funky.
    any movement. been awhile.

be the heat..