Thread: New Yugo!

New Yugo!

Hey everyone. Looking to see if anyone can impart some of their experience regarding what I hope to be a small problem.

I just picked up a century Yugo and for the most part it looks to be in good condition. Finish is good, rivets look solid, cheek weld uncomfortable as ever. The only issue I saw is on the gas piston.

There's a fair amount of pitting / general badness going on and I won't be able to take her to the range for another week or two. I'm curious if this is going to affect it's ability to cycle or if it's just cosmetic.

Additionally, since the integrity of the piston has now been compromised, what steps should I take to prevent this issue from getting worse (is that even possible at this point)? Would it be worth it to simply replace the part?

Last edited by imanaknut; 10-17-2013 at 12:01 AM. Reason: added large pictures

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

It sounds like a previous owner used corrosive ammo and didn't clean everything properly. If it is just on the surface, ie not too deep, it shouldn't be a problem. After I fire any of my AKs I wipe the piston down with CLP, then I use a wire brush on a dremel to clean off the hard carbon on the "head" of the piston. I then very lightly coat it with CLP before putting everything back together. You don't want to put too much oil on the piston as it will attract more carbon particles, but even a dry piston is going to have a good build up after a range trip.

If it is really bad, you could drive out the pin that holds the piston in place, unscrew it from the carrier, and install a new one. Gas pistons on AK variants should be slightly loose. Thread them into the carrier until snug, then back them out 1/4 to 1/2 a turn, then pin them in place.

Hope this helps. The Yugo was one of the few AK variants that Century actually got right, so it sounds like someone wasn't careful with corrosive ammo.

Oh, as for cheek weld, I learned to shoot without a cheek weld a long time ago. Sounds painful to have your cheek welded to a firearms, and as I tell my friends, I don't weld my cheek to my Beretta pistols, so why should I have to weld them to a shoulder fired weapon?

Just saw your posted pictures, and added the one of the piston for people like me who are generally too lazy to click on links. (I'm retired and lazy defines me now )

Looking at the pictures, I wouldn't worry about those pits. Ugly yes, but I don't think they will hinder the rifle's operation.

By the way, if you bought that new, you might contact Century as they usually have a very good customer service and would probably replace it for you.

welcome to the forum!! can we see the rest of the yugo? enjoy.
    While no one ever listens to me,
    I am constantly being told to be quiet.

In a world of snowflakes,
    be the heat..

Quote Originally Posted by l921428x View Post
    welcome to the forum!! can we see the rest of the yugo? enjoy.
    Fixed it.

Agreed. That shouldn't effect anything.

Welcome!

Thanks for all the great info! As long as this next range trip goes well I'll probably just leave it as is.

Pics to follow as soon as I get a chance to go!

Team GunsNet Silver 12/2011 N/A's Avatar

Texas...at the intersection of I-20 and the Korean War Veterans Memorial Higheway
    Quote Originally Posted by imanaknut View Post
    Just saw your posted pictures, and added the one of the piston for people like me who are generally too lazy to click on links. (I'm retired and lazy defines me now )

Looking at the pictures, I wouldn't worry about those pits. Ugly yes, but I don't think they will hinder the rifle's operation.

By the way, if you bought that new, you might contact Century as they usually have a very good customer service and would probably replace it for you.
    I'd think it came from Century that way, rather than someone here using corrosive ammo. Being made from "parts kits" on American receivers, they are releatively recent manufacture, and ammo available is non-corrosive any more. Someone would have had to had a stash of of old military surplus to have had any corrosive ammo...im my opinion.
    No enemy of America would have ever been killed if they didn't show up to be killed. HDR

Forum Administrator

Will not affect it at all....I would a tig blob on it and then grind back to normal

I enjoy my M70ab2, solid rifle. I just need to do something with the sights. Shooting black targets with a black sight at 50-100 yards is hard on the eyes. I've seen the colored front posts, but I'm thinking more along the lines of adding a line of color with a single-hair brush, and some bright red paint.