Thread: Ok...what are some good 9mm self defense loads.

was_peacemaker

Ok...what are some good 9mm self defense loads.

Not looking for anything +p, just good basic HP loads. I know some folks swear by the Federal Hydro-Shok rounds. But...what are some other options...opinions, ballistics, ideas, are welcomed.

Thanks for any info in advance.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Only Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P passed the FBI tests, they are what I carry. That said the recent Hornaday Critical Defense or Critical Duty ammo I would consider worth using. http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense

I was always partial to gold dot but I'm not sure if it comes in non-+P.

was_peacemaker
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Only Speer Gold Dot 124 gr. +P passed the FBI tests, they are what I carry. That said the recent Hornaday Critical Defense or Critical Duty ammo I would consider worth using. http://www.hornady.com/store/critical_defense
    Thanks for the advice. I am finding out my pistol can handle +p rounds.

Looking up stats and such on the Speer Gold Dot 124 +P and its seems to be solid. Any info on the FBI tests?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by was_peacemaker View Post
    Thanks for the advice. I am finding out my pistol can handle +p rounds.

Looking up stats and such on the Speer Gold Dot 124 +P and its seems to be solid. Any info on the FBI tests?
    Yeah, it passed all the penetration tests. American Rifleman did an article on it long ago, before 2000. Now that I think about it, the information was in an article on how the FBI went about picking a new handgun round and weapon. Originally they went 10 mm but with women agents and small hands the 10 mm guns were too much for them to handle. Thus was born the .40 S&W. Oh one more thing. .45 ACP also passed all the tests easily but the FBI didn't want to use such an Old School round.
    Last edited by Schuetzenman; 10-18-2013 at 08:39 PM.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I generally have used the cheap Federal Classic 115gr walmart specials.

They look identical to the Federal Premium rounds, but come 50 rounds in a 1990's looking box. I'm guessing they're probably the same components but without the QA. They probably just inspect one round per box instead of inspecting every round like on the premium stuff.

If you've got the cash and aren't concerned with additional recoil and residential-area barrier penetration then go for the Gold Dot 124 +P.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"