Thread: 7.62x54r Vepr question

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question 7.62x54r Vepr question

I notice that Centerfire Systems has the standard 7.62x54r Veprs for under $800. They come with unfinished wood. Was thinking that was a pretty good price to the times and I've been looking for a semi-auto in this caliber as I have a good stock of ammo. Question is how accurate are these and how are they with the 7.62x54r heavy ball as I have a good bit of that as well as the standard 147gr LPS. Any info on the Vepr in this caliber would be appreciated. I'd like something to replace my last SVT 40 that I sold and I'd like something I can put optics on.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

They can shoot any weight ammo from what I recall.

The only thing I don't like about these are the single stack magazines.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

The one big hole in my collection is a PSL but I'd consider one of these VEPRs. I just really dislike the furniture. Does Ironwood or K Var make something for these?

edit-
    Oh man check this out!
    http://ironwooddesigns.com/IWDVEPRSVD.html
    Last edited by TEN-32; 10-19-2013 at 07:06 AM.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Thanks for the video Funky. That answered a lot of my questions.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    They can shoot any weight ammo from what I recall.

The only thing I don't like about these are the single stack magazines.

Is/was there a double stack version? I've found 5rd and 10rd single stack mags, 5rd are out of stock and the 10rd are $45 each. I'd love to get one in 7.92x57 but I bet the receiver, mag, etc wouldn't be long enough since the 8mm is longer than either the .308 or the 7.62x54r. Still Yugoslavia made the M76 (I think that was the model) in 8mm and .308 so maybe it would work. I've got even more 8mm then I do 7.62x54r so a nice semi-auto in that caliber would float my boat as well.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

7.62x54r Vepr question

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Is/was there a double stack version? I've found 5rd and 10rd single stack mags, 5rd are out of stock and the 10rd are $45 each. I'd love to get one in 7.92x57 but I bet the receiver, mag, etc wouldn't be long enough since the 8mm is longer than either the .308 or the 7.62x54r. Still Yugoslavia made the M76 (I think that was the model) in 8mm and .308 so maybe it would work. I've got even more 8mm then I do 7.62x54r so a nice semi-auto in that caliber would float my boat as well.
    There has never been a double stack x54 VEPR as far as i know. The .308 is double stack, however. Also, I don't anticipate a 7.92 vepr in the future.

Keep in mind the Centerfire Systems Vepr rifles have 'normal' square cut receivers and come with unfinished and sometimes broken wood. Thats great if you're building a battle rifle, but I would prefer the slant cut vepr stock if going for a SVD rip-off.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

There has never been a double stack x54 VEPR as far as i know. The .308 is double stack, however. Also, I don't anticipate a 7.92 vepr in the future.

Keep in mind the Centerfire Systems Vepr rifles have 'normal' square cut receivers and come with unfinished and sometimes broken wood. Thats great if you're building a battle rifle, but I would prefer the slant cut vepr stock if going for a SVD rip-off.
    Thank you. I noticed that in their ad Centerfire said the 16" Vepr had unfinished wood but on the 23" or what ever the longer barrel is it said something like unfinished and "incomplete".
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

7.62x54r Vepr question

Thank you. I noticed that in their ad Centerfire said the 16" Vepr had unfinished wood but on the 23" or what ever the longer barrel is it said something like unfinished and "incomplete".
    Yeah, they're actually missing hardware from what I can tell. They probably aren't very usable, and I think they probably were made this way with the expectation that the seller or consumer is going to throw on a military style stock set.

Question

LGS has all the different barrel lengths of this model in the $950 price range. Seems a little high but they do have them in stock. Anyone been shooting these in this caliber and if so how do they shoot and which barrel length do you prefer? I love the look of the 20" and the 27" seems gangly. Maybe the 23" is the best compromise? Basically I'm looking for something to use some of my 7.62x54r stockpile in that I can scope and isn't a bolt action.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

LGS has all the different barrel lengths of this model in the $950 price range. Seems a little high but they do have them in stock. Anyone been shooting these in this caliber and if so how do they shoot and which barrel length do you prefer? I love the look of the 20" and the 27" seems gangly. Maybe the 23" is the best compromise? Basically I'm looking for something to use some of my 7.62x54r stockpile in that I can scope and isn't a bolt action.

23" matches the SVD. Thats probably what I would go with.

Is 7.62x54r coming in again? I stopped keeping track once it reached $99 per can.

23" matches the SVD. Thats probably what I would go with.

Is 7.62x54r coming in again? I stopped keeping track once it reached $99 per can.
    Thanks. I haven't noticed much new ammo but I've got several crates that I either need to sell off or start sending down range.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Still haven't bought one of these but thinking that will change tomorrow. LGS has the 20" model in stock. I've got tons of 7.62x 54r in various bullets weights and no longer have an SVT-40 and none of my Mosins are something I want to scope so this urge for a semiauto that I can put some glass on isn't going to be satisfied any other way.

I believe they also have a 16" in stock but other than looking kind of cool and making a huge fireball I still think the 20" is the best choice.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

I have the 23" with a Nikon 8x scope on it. Very, very nice rifle.
    Nietzsche: From life's school of war: what does not kill me makes me stronger.

What type/brand of mount did you get?
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

It's an aluminum mount that takes 3 alan-screws to secure it to the rifle. I've had it for years, used to have it on another one of my AKs. It's Russian-made I believe...but could be wrong.

Thank you. Picked up a 20" this afternoon. Wish photobucket wasn't all screwed up or I'd post a photo. Came with two 5rd mags and I just end ordered two SGM 10rd Mags from Tx Shooters Supply.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Molot makes a great semi-auto rifle, especially in the venerable 7.62x54R caliber. I'm sure you're going to like it.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Thank you. Picked up a 20" this afternoon. Wish photobucket wasn't all screwed up or I'd post a photo. Came with two 5rd mags and I just end ordered two SGM 10rd Mags from Tx Shooters Supply.
    Use Gunsnet picture host. As an admin you have unlimited photo sizing.

I wound up buying the .308 VEPR with a 23 inch barrel. Hope to take it to the range July 5.

Looking at getting a Midwest Industries mount like this one. J&G's price is about $20 less then everyone else. Wondering if it's the same mount?

http://www.jgsales.com/midwest-indus...k-p-57846.html
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

Finally got my new Vepr to the range today. Ran flawlessly with factory mags. The 10rd mags I bought from TSS didn't work at all. One worked somewhat if I down loaded it. Didn't try the other one, basically they won't feed. I may ship them back for replacement. May also try downloading them and see if they will break in over time.

As far as the rifle goes I'm very happy. I took some 70's Russian LPS, 50's Bulgarian 185 yellow tip and some of my stash of 7N1.

I was only shooting at 50yds, I'm 57 with type II diabetes and out dated progressive bifocals so open sights at any further distance just ain't happening. From a decent benchrest all rounds were well centered with very little if any shift in POI between the two different weights. With the two standard rounds I had several holes touching but the overall for 10rds was around 6". The 7N1 was easily half that size.

This isn't a sniper grade firearm but you could easily tell the difference in the 7N1 which I hear is mostly tighter quality control. I'm thinking that with a good mount and scope I will be able to get 3 MOA at 100yds. Maybe the rifle and this ammo can do better but I'm not sure I can.

Recoil wasn't bad. Just broke her down and put the windex to her. Been awhile since I've shot corrosive. Still it's a small price to pay and based on what I paid for this ammo years ago even the 7N1 really is a small price.
    Last edited by Richard Simmons; 11-03-2017 at 02:47 PM.
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068