My grandfather's 17.5 acre farm is adjacent to my great uncles land that is about 10 acres. Anyway its odd in its lay out. Now that its shut down as a produce farm it has become a tall grassy hilltop, with a large steeped drop on the back side that goes down about 150 yard to a small creek that branched off a much larger creek/small river.

The hill top of the property is stretched out north to south by a few hundred yards and is clear with a few storage sheds, and a old turn of the 18th century style tobacco barn. The outer edges are covered in woods, very thick woods with a terrible drop off and thick but slick muddy ground around it.

The path going from the hilltop down to what the family calls the "bottom" is old slate and gravel surrounded by thick woods. At the "bottom" you have uneven ground from years of plowing, thick grass, an opposite bank that runs up really steep with thick woods, and a variety of fencing and barbwire that is decades old here and there.

Sense I was a little boy I learned real quick that the best weapons there, are the simplest. Throw out the lasers, precision rifles, scopes, and such...one slip and down the north side gorge of the property and your in for a real treat when you have to much stuff out of tune from the fall.

Iron sights, simple furniture, and good footing and knowing how to react in unfavorable weather and terrain will make all the difference. In those cases you will not get those groups like you do at the range but what you do get is the ability to move and shoot in order to hit targets. Adjusting to slopes, woods, tall grass, rocks, water, rain, snow..etc.

I started learning all this with nothing more than a handful of 12 gauge rounds and grandpa telling me to clear the place of pests that snacked on his crops.

Nothing like walking through copperhead and timber rattler infested grass up to your waist to get from point A to point B. Anyway...test yourself and your gear in adverse conditions, elevations, and you will find out that shooting on the go...has way more to do with foot work and movement than it does at the range where you are just shooting at static targets. Nothing wrong with that range work builds good safety and discipline shooting but does not add in variables.

Its the difference between hitting a baseball at a batting cage "the range"...and playing baseball on the field "handling weapons in the elements".