Thread: Damn rust!!!!

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Damn rust!!!!

Well I just can't seem to keep the surface rust at bay for long. I'm looking at putting some KG Gunkote on my more expensive Items, but my WASR... It's not exactly a collectors item. It's a range toy/ SHTF rifle. I keep on taking the rust off with a 410 bore brush (I do not own, and do not plan to own a 410) and applying Remoil. But every time I touch the oiled metal surface I still wind up with surface rust. So obviously Remoil is not the way to go to keep the rust at bay, seeing how it's easily removed with the touch of a finger. So rather than refinishing the metal on the WASR and putting a lot of time into it, I'm wondering if I could just get away with using this:
    http://sport.birchwoodcasey.com/Main...5-621cf7a4425b

Like I said, my WASR isn't going to be all that pretty anyway, but I still want to keep the rust off of it and make sure this rifle has a long life. Thoughts?
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

hmm I've never had problems with rust like that, a light wipe of oil seems to be all it takes. Isn't the wasr parkerized, it should hold oil fairly well.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I coat everything with CLP and it does fine.

And I can smell the salt water from my back porch.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

I'd recommend shooting a layer of "Duracote" on it. Stuff will last as long as the rifle.

Scott
    Always Remember:
    A firearm is only an instrument. It contains no evil, no conscience, and no ability. It is strictly the intent, competence, and character of its user that decide the outcome of any and all actions taken with it.
    (I don't know who to credit but I like the quote.)

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Not familiar with the product but in as much as it is a wipe on substance why not give it a try. You must have very acidic or salty skin to cause rust at a touch. I had a buddy growing up that was like that. I can handle a weapon and zero rust a year later, he'd touch one and in a day I'd see his rusty finger prints pulling up on a firearm.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

I use Corrosion X for all my firearms and couldn't be happier.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Just what are you doing to have this problem? Like everybody has indicated - just a wipe now and then with some CLP keeps my guns in fine shape.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've cans of Birchwood-Casey Bore Scrubber, Gun Scrubber and Sheath, the Sheath is an older version of what you linked to and works better than most oils. It leaves a protective barrier good for longer storage in a safe.

I've also used LPS3 which is a rust protective coating. It leaves a heavy waxy residue that is excellent rust protection.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Thanks for your opinions. I'll probably go ahead and degrease the external steel and apply some duracoat on the rifles. WASR included.
    Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Just what are you doing to have this problem? Like everybody has indicated - just a wipe now and then with some CLP keeps my guns in fine shape.
    It may be that there is too much moisture in the house, or as Schuetzenman said, my skin is somehow more acidic/ salty than the average person. I may also look at a dehumidifier.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

I run a dehumidifier in the gun room constantly. Every other day I have to dump the tank. But. It helps. It is humid here in WV. And I don't have the time to clean and oil the guns all of the time. So, the extra help from the dehumidifier definitely helps.

It's generally not too humid here In Arkansas, but our basement (where my man cave is located and guns are kept) isn't exactly well protected against moisture. Every time we get a decent amount of rain it seeps in through some miniscule gaps between the foundation and concrete floor. Haven't had that problem in a while though, and the rust usually appears where the rifle is handled.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Haven't had that problem in a while though, and the rust usually appears where the rifle is handled.
    Definitely your chemistry then. Get some thin cotton gloves before you handle them to avoid making them rust. Or you do need to wipe them down with that Birchwood Casey product.

Keeping them soaked in Remoil when not in use, skipping the wipe off step. Seems to be working. Also wearing gloves when cleaning. Hopefully I'll have enough $$$ to order the Duracoat this week and this will be a non issue.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by El Duce View Post
    I run a dehumidifier in the gun room constantly. Every other day I have to dump the tank.
    Ditto in east Texas, but most of the year we empty it daily. The wife waters the dogs and plants with it...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...