Thread: how do you adjust trigger pull

were gun laws are finally making since!!!

how do you adjust trigger pull

well i've been working a shit load of overtime and while i'm down in central alabama working i found a remington 700 sps tactical 308 i've purchased and i was wondering on a home gunsmithing remedy to adjust the trigger pull slightly till i can go see a gunsmith.. if theres any easy ways of doing this it would help me out alot. thanks guys.. and yes i've looked on youtube but trust each of you a little better.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I don't believe Remington wants their triggers adjusted. I don't know if your particular model is like what I've seen in the past but they put epoxy over the adjustments to prevent "improvement".

On a very serious note, when triggers start getting adjusted all kinds of potentially bad things can happen, like the weapon firing just from closing the bolt on a round. Also a minor bump of the weapon setting it off or taking off the safety letting it fire.

Should you adjust the trigger under no circumstances put live ammo in the weapon until you are at a range with the weapon benched and the muzzle aimed down range at the target. I always take a rubber dead blow mallet with me to beat on the rifle simulating hitting it on a tree or other object to make sure I don't get a "bump-off" condition as a result of adjusting the trigger.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by 308 View Post
    What Sheutz said. I wouldn't screw with the stock trigger but go with an aftermarket. I kind of like not knowing when the trigger is going to break. A friend has one that goes off at about 2-1/2lbs and it scares me.
    Seriously, I put a varmint grade adjustable trigger by Jewell with a set range of 1.5 to 3 LB. You don't want it set on 1.5, ... scary light! I run it pretty much at the 3.0 lb. maximum.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

no use buying an aftermarket trigger when the factory remington trigger is easily adjustable. but other than that, i agree with the above. frankly, ive never seen a factory remingtn trigger that i didnt find perfect. i also prefer a heavier trigger. i set my triggers clean, crisp, no take up or overtravel (or minimal, depending on the firearm) and quite heavy.

iirc, the big shit hitting the fan about the 700's going off on their own and being very dangerous turned out to be traced back to an issue of armorers fucking them up trying to "improve" the triggers.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    no use buying an aftermarket trigger when the factory remington trigger is easily adjustable. but other than that, i agree with the above. frankly, ive never seen a factory remingtn trigger that i didnt find perfect. i also prefer a heavier trigger. i set my triggers clean, crisp, no take up or overtravel (or minimal, depending on the firearm) and quite heavy.

iirc, the big shit hitting the fan about the 700's going off on their own and being very dangerous turned out to be traced back to an issue of armorers fucking them up trying to "improve" the triggers.
    and thats why i love this place!!! if i mess with it i will buy a timeny drop in to put in it thank you all !!!
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

just say i wanted to adjust my trigger pull slightly. what tools would i need and any info you guys know about would be very helpful

If yours is like mine all you need is a small allen wrench for the little screw under the trigger and back it off.But to tell you the truth,you can safely take the screw out and will still not allow you to set low enough.
    I did read an article from a reputable source and was tested with the screw out and was nowhere near dangerous.
    I took mine out before I bought a Timney trigger.Get the Timney and be done with it!The Remington trigger is junk.

If you look at the Remington trigger,there is almost no sense in having the screw there to start with.

Quote Originally Posted by shotdown61 View Post
    If yours is like mine all you need is a small allen wrench for the little screw under the trigger and back it off.But to tell you the truth,you can safely take the screw out and will still not allow you to set low enough.
    I did read an article from a reputable source and was tested with the screw out and was nowhere near dangerous.
    I took mine out before I bought a Timney trigger.Get the Timney and be done with it!The Remington trigger is junk.

If you look at the Remington trigger,there is almost no sense in having the screw there to start with.
    thanks so much for that info! i'm going to back it off a little at a time test fire it till i like it or when the screw comes completly out and if it still isn't enough..... look out timney..