Thread: new gas block and front sight post

new gas block and front sight post

Hi all, new guy here, owner of 4 ak's and I have a question. I have two Norinco Mak 90's that have the ground down gas blocks and same for the front sight posts. I have found a few websights with replacements rom various countries of manufacture and was wondering if anyone had a source for accurate fit replacements. I have found chinese but again the replacements are the same with ground off fittings. I beleive the norinco's have a thicker barrel than the european ak's except maybe the Yogo's. I would like to be able to have the cleaning rod storage on the rifles. My other two ak's are a Polish parts Koraynovich and just ordered a Pap M92 that I am debating on the stock for an SBR. Any info for the replacement parts on the norinco's would be great.

trevorakm

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Unfortunately you have a better chance of winning the Powerball lottery than you do finding a Norinco front sight and gas block in original condition. The last pair I saw with the bayo lug and cleaning rod holder intact sold on Gunbroker for over $200.

If you don't want to be authentic and just want the cleaning rod attachments, I have found that the Bulgarian parts will work. I had a friend give me a stub barrel from Bulgaria and was able to us the sight and gas block on a milled MAK-90 to make it look authentic, but the milled rifles didn't have the hooped front sight, so it looked "right" from a distance. And it worked nicely at the range.

If I remember correctly I did have to sand down the front sight boss on the barrel as there was a thousandth or so interference with the front sight ID, but it was easy to make the Bulgarian parts work.

It is really sad that the 56S gas and sight blocks are selling for well over $100 each, and the underfolding bayo front sight from a Poly Tech is selling for around $400 with bayo attached.

Other than the Bulgarian most Euro barrels are narrower than the Norinco, so they will not work.

Okay Bulgarian it is. It is more for functionality than authenticiy for me with the ak's. My Mak 90's, ne came with the full hooped front sight and the second that I bought new came with the incomplete loop on the front sight post.

trevorakm