Thread: What did I get?

What did I get?

So, I’ve gotten an inheritance of a sort – five weapons I don’t really know much about: what they are, if they’re any good, how much they’re worth, etc. Particularly, the old DOA “Iver Johnson” (that’s what I could decipher from the fine print on the barrel) is a puzzle to me - I can’t even guess the caliber. Any help would be much appreciated. Do forgive my ignorance; and for those who can spare a moment and share their expertise - thanks, in advance.

Anyone interested?

More photos on the FLICKR at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107980833@N04/
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by trueblue; 11-10-2013 at 11:18 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by trueblue View Post
    So, I’ve gotten an inheritance of a sort – five weapons I don’t really know much about: what they are, if they’re any good, how much they’re worth, etc. Particularly, the old DOA “Iver Johnson” (that’s what I could decipher from the fine print on the barrel) is a puzzle to me - I can’t even guess the caliber. Any help would be much appreciated. Do forgive my ignorance; and for those who can spare a moment and share their expertise - thanks, in advance.

Anyone interested?

More photos on the FLICKR at: http://www.flickr.com/photos/107980833@N04/sets/
    That colt "hammerless" is in fantastic condition. Nice little shooters. Absolutely solid. Could be worth something.

The Schofield if it's original might not only be very valuable but is as cool a collectible cowboy gun as you can find. Even if it's not original, the repros are a pretty penny and every bit as cool.

Thanks for quick reply. I fixed the FLICKR link, so do have a look-see at the rest of them, as with my limited exposure I am lost here. Many thanks for your time.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I like these!
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

This looks like a .38 Special Iver Johnson to me. These pistols are pretty crap from what I've seen.

"I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    This looks like a .38 Special Iver Johnson to me. These pistols are pretty crap from what I've seen.

Maybe, but I think the break action is really cool. It would be neat to have just because it is different than what you can get now.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Really like that old J frame with the T Grip. Welcome to Gunsnet!
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    Maybe, but I think the break action is really cool. It would be neat to have just because it is different than what you can get now.
    I've come across both a .38 and a .32 within the last two years.

I'm not trying to shit talk anyone's gun, but they were both really crappy. I would not have been proud to own either.

The owner of both pistols uses them as paper weights.

Nice inheritance for sure!

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

I've got a .32 short (US) and a .32 long (IJ)... They were intended to be pocket revolvers for the masses. They really don't have much collector's value although they are neat little revolvers. Basically, the Bryco/HiPoint of 100 years ago. They were not meant for target shooting and your groups will prove that LOL...

Since I have two anyway, I wouldn't mind having the .38 also...

Edit to add... for some reason evenn the nickle and chromed finishes, you almost never see one with a perfect finish. I don't know if it poor surface prep or what....
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 11-11-2013 at 01:39 PM.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation

those would only be chambered in .38 S&W, or .32 s&w/s&w long.

shocking as it sounds I have about 20 of them in various makes and calibers. One of them is accurate, one of them functions well, the rest do neither.

that gun is also not a DAO, I would guess that it just doesn't lock the hammer when you cock it.

Although I do have a 6" barreled H&R top break that is a champ.

that one is a Llama, a spanish made 1911 copy, looks to be in .380 and should be a really decent gun.
    Last edited by raxar; 11-11-2013 at 08:07 PM.

PA, where the cold is only matched by the isolation
    Quote Originally Posted by El Laton Caliente View Post
    Edit to add... for some reason evenn the nickle and chromed finishes, you almost never see one with a perfect finish. I don't know if it poor surface prep or what....
    Because they're around 100 years old and have been totally neglected for a few decades.

Thank you All for taking time to share your knowledge and opinions. I did take a second look at the COLT revolver - I don't know how I missed it before, but is says "Army Special" on the side of the barrel. Anyways, thank you all kindly. Thanks particularly for clarifying the "DOA" Iver Johnson issue - paperweight it is

Quote Originally Posted by raxar View Post

that one is a Llama, a spanish made 1911 copy, looks to be in .380 and should be a really decent gun.
    For some reason, I'm remembering the line "Joo no bangy bangy con el Llama" from the old gunsnet.

Any idea who said that?

I repeated that one to a friend back in the day and it became an inside joke after he actually bought a Llama.

According to Colt's serial lookup (http://www.coltsmfg.com/customerserv...berlookup.aspx), both the revolver and the pistol were made in 1917. Is there any "gun blue book" to use as a reference when guesstimating the value, or the current auctions on GB or GA are the best there is?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    A belated welcome to the group !!!

when trying to get actual selling prices as opposed to "book value" I always recommend checking gunbroker for auctions where the firearm sold. That tells you what people are willing to pay. Guns America is a pretty good source to get an idea as to asking prices but not necessarily what someone will pay. Good for a ballpark figure.