Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to Forum and AKs

New to Forum and AKs

Hey Everyone....

So I came across a few AKS at a good price and decided to start my collection... Always have been more of an AR guy, but I am quickly converting....I have done a ton of research but I am sure I haven't scratched the surface...

I bought :

Arsenal Sam7 R

Arsenal SLR105 A1R AK 74 (two actually)

Wasr GP 10/63

Sar 1

All brand new in the box...

Info is easy to find on all of the above except the SLR 105. Anyone have some background on them?

Also, I don't think I need to Romanians... Which should I keep....

thanks

N

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by imanaknut; 11-27-2013 at 03:26 PM. Reason: inserted photo.

First off, welcome to the wonderful world of the Kalashnikov. I am sure there will be others to greet you shortly.
    Second, holy hand grenades! You just jumped right into it, didn't you?
    From what I have heard, the old Romies were crap. They would shoot, but were not pretty to look at, canted front sights, non matching numbers, and such. That being said, an AK is an AK is an AK. That Romie might make a good gift for someone who is interested in starting their own collection or just as a range rifle. You would definately not be lacking if you got rid of it. Hell, see if you can flip it and fund another nicer AK.

holy crap, that's one helluva start.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Thanks... Yeah I got lucky and found someone that was down sizing..right place at right time.... I was thinking the same on the Romanians, or maybe I will keep one to check a country off the list... From what I can see the SAR1 is a better rifle. The finish is much nicer for sure and it has a mag dimple and no tooling on the mag well... The sight does look canted, so i will bore sight it and shoot this week...

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the board!!!

Fantastic start on an AK collection!

I'll always rate a SAR1 above the WASR... The SAR1 was a real military issue rifle. I have a SAR1 & SAR3 and would like to have the SAR2.

The two Arsenal rifles... it doesn't get much better!
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Delivering supplies to the Alamo for round two.
    Quote Originally Posted by -n- View Post
    I bought :

Arsenal Sam7 R

Arsenal SLR105 A1R AK 74 (two actually)

Wasr GP 10/63

Sar 1

All brand new in the box...

You sure that's going to be enough for getting through today?

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Welcome to the group !!!

Great start to your AK-addiction!

As said, and in addition, the SAR-1 was the only true military issue AKM imported into the land of shall not be infringed. They were issued to Romanian trainees prior to going to the select fire weapons.

The Arsenal SA M-7R is one of the nicest of the Arsenal imports and except for an AK-74 gas block, a very nice representation of an AK type rifle. Guessing in your research you found that AKMs were stamped receivers, AKs were milled.

The SLR105 A1R was fairly rare which is why there isn't much info on it, but a nice AK-74 variant none-the-less.

The WASR GP 10/63 is one of the seemingly zillion versions that Century has imported over the years. Unlike the SAR-1 which came in with a true military issue receiver, the WASR series were imported with a "sporting" receiver, able to only use special single stack mags to meet the sporting purpose clause of the new ATF second amendment. SARs were banned when ATF determined that they could not be imported as evil assault weapons and then converted here to angelic sporting weapons. The WASRs, being built as "sporting" rifles were allowed to be imported, and then modified per the illegal rules. Pretty sick, no?

Again, very nice start to an AK collection. Now wait until you get into the Chinese rifles!!!!

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the gas block north the Arsenal being the same as 74. Is that all sam7 models?

And speaking of Chinese.... I have a bead on a Polytech legend. It is also new in box... Any thoughts on price? What's fair and what's a price I can't pass up?

And speaking of Chinese.... I have a bead on a Polytech legend. It is also new in box... Any thoughts on price? What's fair and what's a price I can't pass up?
    Ridiculously expensive...

Supply and demand. Most of the asking prices I've seen for a NIB Legend are about $2K and higher these days. I don't see many sell at those prices.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Damn, you sure you just started? Anyways, all of those rifles are damn good. Romanians... SAR1 is more desirable for a collector, may have slight flaws (canted sights easily fixed), but a good weapon. WASR is far from a collectors AK. It's more of a beginners AK. It's also very common. I own a WASR, and it shoots just fine. New furniture made it a little prettier... Except for the tooling marks. But I personally will probably hold on to it even after I have some nicer models so as to have a brush gun/ every day shooter that I won't feel the need to be so anal about. Other models may be nicer, and even slightly more accurate, but the WASR will function just as reliably as the rest. Just my 2 cents.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Thanks for the info. I didn't know about the gas block north the Arsenal being the same as 74. Is that all sam7 models?

The 90 degree gas block normally seen on the AK-74s seems to be normal on most Arsenal of Bulgaria rifles.

As for the Legend, considered the closest thing you could by to a true AK Type 3 except in ATF happy semi-auto only. Probably the most desirable of all commercial AK variants. As ELC said, new in box are very rare, and because of supply being low, and demand going up, prices have been skyrocketing. It really comes down to how much you are willing to spend on one and still be happy. They are expensive, but there was a time that an SAR-1 for $300 was considered expensive, and WASR-10s were under $200, to looking at how those have gone up, a new in box Legend will probably keep it's value and also continue to go up as long as you keep it in new condition.

These days, anything under $1500 should be jumped on, $1500 to $2000 can you afford it and still be happy, and over $2000 I suggest a counter offer or keep looking. Check Gunbroker for sold auctions on Legends to see what people are really willing to pay versus what is being asked.

Very nice start. I think that you may be pleasantly suprised by the Sar 1. I got one as a range rifle. One that I did not have to worry if someone laid the reciever on a rough bench or in the dirt. However, it sighted in really easy and I have to say it is more accurate that much more expensive rifles that I have.

Very nice start, only thing really missing is a Bulgarian SLR 93 or 95 and something from China., but you are off to one hell of a start. Good luck? and they are addicting.,

Just checked asking and sold prices for Legends on Gunbroker and glad I have a home defib around!!! Asking prices are $2000 on the very low end with most $2500 and up!!!

Sold prices were as low as $1100 for one in good condition, no box but some new in box fixed stock Legends sold for $2500 and several underfolders sold for $2500 and higher.

I guess by King Barack's standards not only am I a domestic terrorist because I own these "evil" weapons but now a "rich domestic terrorist" because of their crazy value!

A Legend is one thing I never bought... Now I wish I had at the horribly high price of $1,000.....

Thanks for the info.... Now I am really curious... I will have to see what I can get it for... Hell, its almost Christmas right........

I see a lot of bulk ammo available, but most seems to be corrosive. Is this ok as long as you clean your rifle after shooting... Also, is there any specific type of cleaner that should be used?

Thanks again everyone for the info....

Corrosive can be BETTER ammo. The M75 Yugo in 8mm is a good example. The 5.45x39 is available pretty cheap in corrosive surplus and is military grade ammo. Corrosive primers store longer than non-corrosive (at least the older stuff did).

I use Windex with ammonia mostly. It is handy and normally in my truck. Really any soapy water will dissolve the corrosive salts from the primers. Then I de-water with WD40 (that is what it was invented for...) and clean as normal.

In an AK style rifle you need to include the bolt area and gas piston system in the cleaning of the salts....
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 11-27-2013 at 09:56 AM.

ELC makes a great point on cleaning an AK after using corrosive ammo. Make sure you clean the path the gasses take. I have seen many AKs that the owner cleaned the barrel nicely, but forgot the gas system and the gas tube was rotted out on the inside, and the gas piston has a lot of holes in it.

I too use Windex with ammonia, and make sure it is real ammonia and not their synthetic. Yes soapy hot water will wash out the corrosive salts, but after hearing the chemical reason for using ammonia (my daughter has a degree in chemistry and explained it beyond belief) I use ammonia based Windex followed by hot water followed by WD-40 (water dispersal variation 40) and then I clean the rifle as normal. (Exactly as ELC described).

Again.. thanks for the info... A wealth of knowledge out there... I will stock up...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast