Thread: Japanese Mosin?

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Japanese Mosin?

I'm kind of having myself a slight dilemma. I picked up a Mosin rifle (not sure which variant, there are several) about an hour ago at a gun shop. The stampings on the rifle are definitely Asian. The guy runnin' the shop (pretty sure he owns it) told me that it was a Russian arm, picked up and retrofitted by the Japanese during their war with the Russians. I think it's much more likely to be Chinese, but does appear that the Japs have picked up Russian Mosins and used them, and this one has definitely seen some use. Bore looks clean, and I see no rust at all, the stock just looks a little beat up, but no visible cracks. It's also quite a bit shorter than the Mosins I'm used to seeing. I can't make head or tail of Chinese or Japanese writing. Anybody who would be abled to help me out with identifying this once I get pictures up?
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    pretty sure its going to be a japanese Ariaska 99. i think that how you spell it. do some research on that and see if they are similar.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

No, it's a definitely a Mosin. It has the standard rear leaf sight with adjustment for elevation, rather than the Arisaka's rear sight which flipped up completely vertical for elevation adjustment. Also, it has the standard Mosin straight bolt, rather than the curved bolt of the Arisaka. Plus the right hand side bayonet mount.
    Also, upon further reading, most Japanese captured Mosins kept the Russian stampings on them. Which reinforces my opinion that this rifle was Chinese made.
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 12-06-2013 at 03:39 PM.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

were gun laws are finally making since!!!
    yeah man gets some pics up i would like to see this gun. never seen a mosin with jap/chinese markings on it.
    only two defining forces have ever offered to die for you..1 jesus christ..2 the american soldier.. one died for your soul the other for your freedom ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

There is an extensive rifle identification guide at this link. Hope it helps;

http://7.62x54r.net/
    Face your fear, accept your war.

short like a Mosin M44??? If so it's probably a Chinese type 53.

Quote Originally Posted by TEN-32 View Post
    There is an extensive rifle identification guide at this link. Hope it helps;

http://7.62x54r.net/
    Found and identified mine using this link, thanks for the info. It's a Chinese (big surprise) Type 53. It also appears to be one of the more common variants, which surprised me as I've never seen a Mosin this short before. Still, for $140, I ain't bitchin'. Got 440 rounds of Surplus x54R for $80, get to see how it shoots tomorrow I hope.