Thread: 60* cone baffle

60* cone baffle

Well, it's getting closer to cutting chips. I'm going to try for as light as possible and going all titanium this time. Tube is 1.625 O.D. with a thin wall of .054 thick. I've sketched out a basic 60* cone for this and I'm curious on ya'lls thoughts.

The tube is Grade 9 and the baffles and end caps are Grade 5. I'm not clipping the cones as that has shown to adversely affect accuracy with the 300BLK.

Also, if you notice how the internal cone dimension turned out, I think I'll try and cheat with a 1.25 inch, 6 flute 60* counter sink.

US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Totally outside my realm of experience. Looks interesting though.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

y3eah, machining it down to a .060" wall looks like it might be tricky. ever thought of making a die set and trying to stamp some out instead?

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    y3eah, machining it down to a .060" wall looks like it might be tricky. ever thought of making a die set and trying to stamp some out instead?
    I've read of people having great success modifying and basically stamping into shape, engine freeze plugs. Cannot do that with Grade 5 titanium though, it would crack and break.

I'm not planning on too much abuse on this can. I've got another form 1 in process that should come back around Augest. That one will be make of thicker stainless steel along with "clipped 60* cones". I'm thinking along the lines of the Saker design. It'll be a real brick of a can. I've seen a successful titanium can made with .65 thick baffles. I'm thinking .6 should be ok, so long as I don't cut it too close where the spacer portion meets the cone. I may leave just a bit more meat there, just in case.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

really, i cant tell you a damn thing about titanium. never worked with it at all, never even seen it worked with, so idk what processes would work. steel or aluminum, other than pressing, have you ever heard of metal spinning? again, no clue if that would apply to titanium, but maybe with the stainless?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

From what I've heard about Titanium it is difficult to machine, tough and chewy like 300 series SS.