Thread: Norinco Hunter jamming with Privi SP

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Norinco Hunter jamming with Privi SP

The question now is do I grind/polish on the feed ramp or is the Privi too under powered? The Privi SP is grouping pretty well, but is catching on the load ramp holding the bolt open. I'm wondering if it is short stroking the action. I'm using a ten round Chinese mag.

The Privi is working well on the business end: http://www.gunsnet.net/showthread.ph...Norinco-Hunter
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Don't know enough about the PRVI Partizan ammo, I would not be surprised to find it underpowered and your rifle short stroking.

Obviously the recommendation is to try different ammo before destroying your rifle so that PRVI works but nothing else does.

Or try the PRVI from a different mag to see if it is a mag issue.

The only other 7.62x39 SP I have is an unopened tin I'd rather not break into... Maybe I have some stashed somewhere. I need to look around.

'Nut do you know who loads their SP ammo to at/near mil-spec?
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

After re-reading your problem, it might be the soft point that is the issue. We all know that the AK was designed to use FMJ, and the Hunter is just a variation of the AK receiver, so it might be nothing more than a soft point issue.

Do you have problems feeding standard full metal jacket? If not it might be the soft point catching on something and slowing the feed down enough to allow the bolt to close too soon.

No, we shot a couple boxes of older FMJ black box Wolf to check sights and get my neighbor familiar with the rifle. The last ten rounds ate the 1" center out of a target at 50 yards with a couple fliers...

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but I want to make sure I understand, it has been one of those days. (and yet things for me turned out very good!)

No problems with FMJ, problems with soft point. My money on the soft point causing a hang up.

And I wish Wolf would return to that old black or black and yellow box ammo of way back. That was some really good stuff!

Try this, install a mag with one round of the PRVI SP and do not load as normal, very slowly ride the bolt home to see how it picks up the round, and if the nose of the round catches on something.

You've got it... FMJ and non-expanding HP work fine.

and this is the very blunt ended round nose SP... Looks like a 30-30 round...

I did some searches and in the comments/reviews section of some of the vendors people recommended (of all things!) using Tapco or other synthetic mags on the round nose bullets? I wonder if the thicker mags feed rounds more centered into the feed ramp causing the round nose to feed correctly? Worth a try I guess...

Are you using a Blackjack Buffer?

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

See if you can find some Russian Soft Point ammo. Wolf use to make some 150 gr. SP and Barnual made some 125 gr. SP. Both worked in every AK in that chambering that I owned at the time.

Quote Originally Posted by shorthair View Post
    Are you using a Blackjack Buffer?
    No...

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    See if you can find some Russian Soft Point ammo. Wolf use to make some 150 gr. SP and Barnual made some 125 gr. SP. Both worked in every AK in that chambering that I owned at the time.
    If I looked hard I may have some around...
    Last edited by El Laton Caliente; 12-12-2013 at 09:52 PM.