Thread: For all you vets.. I really enjoyed this one! Thank you for your service and sacrifice

For all you vets.. I really enjoyed this one! Thank you for your service and sacrifice

Watch this young lady's face while she's playing. This is no performance: it's an act of pure, unadulterated reverence. Today's children are wise beyond their years on the planet. Be moved! Be blessed.

TAPS ...The Last Post

A few years ago, a friend visited the Netherlands American Cemetery and Memorial in the village of Margraten , about six miles from Maastricht . There lie buried 8,301 American soldiers killed in the battles to liberate Holland in the fall and winter of 1944-5. Sgt. Bill Dukeman, 101st Airborne Division, 506th Parachute Infantry Regiment, Second Battalion, Company C (of "Band of Brothers fame) is buried there. He was killed in the battle of "The Crossroads" in northern Holland .

The Dutch hold an annual memorial concert every September at the above cemetery to remember and honor the Americans who died to free them in Operation Market Garden and subsequent efforts to eject the German army from Holland . Sgt. Dukeman, like many other fallen GIs, was "adopted" by a Dutch family. Dukeman's family in the States was contacted and hosted in Holland, and his grave site decorated each year by his Dutch "family." They keep his portrait in their home, displayed in a place of honor. Fathers pass this obligation down to their sons in Holland . This version of the original "taps" music is played by a 13 year old Dutch girl named Melissa Venema. The conductor of the orchestra is Andre Rieu from Holland .

Many of you may never have heard taps played in its entirety . The original version of Taps was called Last Post, and was written by Daniel Butterfield in 1801. It was rather lengthy and formal, as you will hear in this clip, so in 1862 it was shortened to 24 notes and re-named Taps.
    Melissa Venema is playing it on a trumpet whereby the original was played on a bugle.

Watch at this site, and go full screen.

http://www.flixxy.com/trumpet-solo-melissa-venema.htm

Excellent story and video. Very humbling.

This was indeed very touching.

It is very, very nice to see a foreign country to this day still pay it's respect for what a foreign Army did for them. My father was a WW2 vet and was at Normandy on D-Day, Omaha Beach and his son, me served in the 4th ID 1970. It is very serene to hear this for people who understand and served., what freedom really means. A 13 yr old girl who plays and is taught history, she is great no doubt. First time i have ever heard the song entirely, thanks Johnny.