Thread: buff or polish an ak?

buff or polish an ak?

i am very anal and want everything to be perfect, but do you guys recommend a polishing or buffing on an ak? i want to do it, but also feel that if its not broke, dont fix it. your opinions would be greatly appreciated. i also have very bad luck with things i buy. i have never done a fluff and buff, but im not an idiot and have seen many videos. i work in a mechanic shop so i am mechanically inclined.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Agree with 308 that it is your rifle, and you have to live with what you do to or with it. Funny thing is that with most AK enthusiasts the first thing they talk about doing to the finish is giving it that "battlefield" look, where the bluing or finish is completely or almost completely worn off. High polish finishes are normally reserved for Weatherbys or similar high end rifles or shotguns. Battle rifles (or what every you want to call AKs, ARs, and the like) are usually just the the opposite with matte finish of a rust resistant coating or no finish as in that battlefield thing.

Again, your rifle and even though I am one of those purists, I do enjoy seeing how others turn their ordinary AKs into that one of a kind special item that only they have.

Whatever you wind up doing, pictures would be really nice.

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

whatca talkin bout?

are we doing aesthetic buffing or "functional" smoothing?

i feel like your talking about an action job. theres really not much there to polish up. ive done it many times.

if your talking aesthetics, its pretty common that some ppl like to polish the carrier. other than that, ive never really heard of much in that area.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    whatca talkin bout?

are we doing aesthetic buffing or "functional" smoothing?

i feel like your talking about an action job. theres really not much there to polish up. ive done it many times.

if your talking aesthetics, its pretty common that some ppl like to polish the carrier. other than that, ive never really heard of much in that area.
    308 and I both read it differently, and now seeing what you wrote, DUH!!! And to think, haven't had a drink in a while...

Yes, on many AK variants I have, with the exception of the Chinese which are as good as they get from the factory, I have removed the fire control groups and polished the contact areas. You can take a really gritty feeling trigger and get it silky smooth within limits. The limits are it is still an AK variant, and the design geometry does not let you get that mythical feel of a competition rifle, but still much better than most AK factory or local builds.

yes i meant the bolt carrier and fcg. would like to do it, just wasnt sure if it was recommended at all, and what exactly to buff

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

i just do the underside of the hook/hooks on the trigger, the mating areas whnere it contacts on the hammer, the face of the hammer, and the underside of the carrier. NOTHING on the bolt.

the trigger hooks and "flags" on the hammer smooth out the trigger pull. the underside of the carrier and bolt face make the cocking smoother and help it stop hanging up, if your haveing that problem. just those few spots. theres not really much to be gained by doing anyting else. just a polish, dont grind. you dont want to change the angles on the sear any.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

It's a fucking AK, the somebitch is supposed to be crunchy! If you get crazy you can render your FCG nonfunctional. Then again you can always buy a G2 set and replace anything you might screw up.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

I say just get a G2 trigger set.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"