Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Those of us with kids leaving home and a gun collection...

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Aw, shucks.

Blacksmith! You made his day! Yes, it is hard letting the babbies go - the Romie folder build that I gave them was a favorite... shoots really well.
    The one I gave him was a romy G with an Ironwood design stock set. nice rifle and dead nuts accurate. I have soooo many AKM’s that I won’t miss it, but that P-38 was a favorite. I knew he liked it and it is an extremely reliable piece. It should serve him well.

I think a lot has to do with age and maturity of your child, and residence... I agree completely with giving them a starter collection of the basics: 1) Assault Rifle 2) Pistol 3) Shotgun 4) Hunting Rifle in this particular order if you cant do all 4 at the same time.

Age: If they're not 21, they cant have a pistol legally...

Maturity: Again, that's dependent upon the child...

Residence: College Dorm, Fraternity/Sorority House? ALL say no to weapons in house., some college campuses also have a strict no guns policy. Do they have their own apartment?

When my wife went to Dental Hygiene School, her daddy gave her a S&W .38 special for home protection. She was over 21 at the time. When my son/daughter go to college, I plan to buy a condo for the tax write off and I'll even rent out the other rooms to help pay the mortgage. My child will have a locked gun safe in the house with ammo and guns to which they alone have the combination. And yes, they will have a pistol in the safe... after all, it is MY house and they are MY guns

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Mark, they can't purchase or carry a handgun under 21 but they can legally own and shoot one...

At least that's the law here in TX.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Quote Originally Posted by O.S.O.K. View Post
    Mark, they can't purchase or carry a handgun under 21 but they can legally own and shoot one...

At least that's the law here in TX.
    In AZ it’s 18 for open carry and 21 for concealed. no age limit for ownership but must be 21 to purchase a handgun.

There is also a lot of exceptions where minors can carry legally regardless of there age.

Generally, a person must be at least 18 years of age to possess or openly carry a firearm. However, this does not apply to:
    Juveniles within a private residence.
    Emancipated juveniles.
    Juveniles accompanied by a parent, grandparent or guardian, or a certified hunter safety instructor or certified firearms safety instructor acting with the consent of the juvenile's parent or guardian.
    Juveniles on private property owned or leased by the juvenile or the juvenile's parent, grandparent, or guardian.
    Juveniles fourteen years of age and up engaged in any of the following activities:
    Lawful hunting or shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.
    Lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm for lawful hunting.
    Lawful transportation of an unloaded firearm between the hours of 5:00 a.m. and 10:00 p.m. for shooting events or marksmanship practice at established ranges or other areas where the discharge of a firearm is not prohibited.
    Activities that require a firearm related to the production of crops, livestock, poultry, livestock products, poultry products, or ratites or in the production or storage of agricultural commodities.[18]

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gun_law...state)#Arizona
    Last edited by Blacksmith; 07-21-2010 at 03:52 PM.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12