Thread: What do you think about a smart gun?

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Post What do you think about a smart gun?

Last edited by Gunreference1; 02-24-2014 at 12:06 PM.
    After today, it's all historical.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Half a brain is the only reason you would want one.

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Just what we need, a gun nobody else can use and is vulnerable to electronic failure when you need it. Thanks but no thanks.

Team GunsNet Platinum 02/2014 Hatedbysheeple's Avatar

Not only is the price outrageous and for a .22 at that, but as stated above, no way would I trust that thing. As for the article about making this law, I don't see it. The article was a little ambiguous as to whether this proposed bill was just in California or nationwide, but regardless I can see a huge rush on handguns if this thing starts to make any traction. I also believe if this is just a Cali thing most manufactures will simple say screw it we just won't sell there, I do not believe Cali is a big enough market for companies like sig or glock to recoup their R&D losses from designing such tech.

What if you get shot in the hand and destroy your watch? What if you're wearing gloves?

Not to mention that Im sure hackers will figure out how to hack it within 24hrs of its release just like everything else.

And I know how much my phone freezes and glitches. I dont want that in a firearm.

Ed Markey in Washington.

What a shame...... some little village n Massachusetts is missing it's idiot.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

What do I think of the Smart Gun? I think its Retarded!

The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain.
    Chief Engineer Montgomery Scott, USS Enterprise.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

I have nothing against the industry working on things like this on their own and offering them for sale. It should be the consumers choice. I'll be damned if it should ever be required by law though.

A few "safety" features that I don't like and won't have on a defense gun. Loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect safety, integral lock.

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    I have nothing against the industry working on things like this on their own and offering them for sale. It should be the consumers choice. I'll be damned if it should ever be required by law though.

A few "safety" features that I don't like and won't have on a defense gun. Loaded chamber indicator, magazine disconnect safety, integral lock.
    Your post had my mind wondering. If your life has to depend on it, simple is much better. Hack now cars are getting more and more sophisticated. So much so that in 20 years (less, likely 10) police will be able to shut down cars remotely with the push of a button. Then it struck me. Cops don't want smart gun tech, and the day that hackers can remotely shut down police cars, will be the day that such tech is outlawed. Yeah, my mind does wander about sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by L1A1Rocker View Post
    Your post had my mind wondering. If your life has to depend on it, simple is much better. Hack now cars are getting more and more sophisticated. So much so that in 20 years (less, likely 10) police will be able to shut down cars remotely with the push of a button. Then it struck me. Cops don't want smart gun tech, and the day that hackers can remotely shut down police cars, will be the day that such tech is outlawed. Yeah, my mind does wander about sometimes.
    They already can shut (cars) them down remotely, have been able to for quite some time. No worries though the "law enforcement and Government" will be exempt from this, they only want to shut ours off, vehicles and weapons. Don't worry though "it's for the children".

As far as the post question. You would have to be stupid.
    "I will never fail my comrades"

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 TakeFive's Avatar

The gun was added to the california roster of handguns certified for sale in October. The requirement for all handguns to be "smart" technology was a bill (SB293) that never made it out of the california legislature last year, but some dimwit in congress has proposed it. It also the law in New Jersey.
    In theory, there is no difference between theory and practice, in practice, there is.

Quote Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
    The gun was added to the california roster of handguns certified for sale in October. The requirement for all handguns to be "smart" technology was a bill (SB293) that never made it out of the california legislature last year, but some dimwit in congress has proposed it. It also the law in New Jersey.

Let me take a wild ass guess here; cops are exempt right?

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Smart gun
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team GunsNet Bronze 07/2011 weevil's Avatar

The more they overthink the plumbing the easier it is to stop up the drain.

BINGO!

Just something else to go wrong.

You know Murphy's law will be in full effect just when you need something the most.

If it's something easy to disable or remove, like a mag-disconnect, then fine. People howl about mag disconnects but every pistol I've had that used one, they were easily removed by just taking out a part or a spring.

Now if it's integral to the design and the pistol won't work if it's removed, or even worse it's required by law, then no way.

As to this particular "smart-gun" there's nothing about it that makes me say, "I want one"!

It does worry me though that this is a sign of things to come.

Don't see the need. Plus the "smart gun" is in the hands of the owner.