Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ruger 10/22 variations

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Question Ruger 10/22 variations

How many are there? I have the base model, blued/black metal with birch wood stock. I know they have offered at one time or another an "international" version with a mannlicher style full stock. I know they have some stainless steel models and a new take down model. Was just wondering that the different factory models are or have been and if anyone has pics of them all?

Also a quick question on after market mags. Which one work best in the 10/22? IIRC I've got one old and one new Butler Creek with plastic feed lips an they both work fine.
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

I think they offered a target model with a bull barrel, not for sure though. I have one of the birch/blue model, first gun I ever purchased. Got one of those butler creek 25rd mags, probally put many thousand rounds out of it. Still works like a champ.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Standard Model Blue
    Standard Model SS
    Houge Rubber Stocked Blue
    Houge Rubber Stocked SS
    Olympic Model with red/white/blue laminated stock and bull barrel
    Magnum Research Model(s) Bull and Carbon Barrels
    Folding Stock in Blue
    Folding Stock in SS

What am I misssing?
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Ruger has allied with Talo to make about a zillion variations. There are literally dozens of different stocks in laminated, hardwood and plastic. Different barrel lengths as well as standard steel and stainless.

Check the Ruger website to be blown away by the number of 10/22s they show, and that is only some of what are available if you know where to look.

As for magazines, Butler Creek are among the best, with the steel lips being almost unkillable. I too have used the Hot Lip mags and after a few thousand rounds finally wore one out. Ruger now makes, or has made for them, a steel lip mag which has gotten good revues.

They recently released a take down 10/22 and a few years ago a Charger. Basically a 10/22 pistol. There is endless aftermarket.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Ruger makes FACTORY hi-cap 10/22 mags now. Called the BX-25.

I'd like a stainless take-down model with the threaded muzzle.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Ruger currently lists the following 10/22 variations:

Takedown (2) - Stainless Steel (18.5")or Alloy Steel (16.62") standard barrel both with a black synthetic stock.

Carbine (4) - Stainless Steel or Alloy Steel standard barrel with either hardwood or black synthetic stock. One version offered with a LaserMax laser. All with 18.5" barrel

Target (2) - Alloy Steel barrel w/Brown Laminate stock or Stainless Steel barrel w/Black Laminate stock. Both with 20" bull barrel.

Compact (1) - Alloy Steel standard barrel (16.12" barrel) with hardwood stock.

Sporter (1) - Alloy Steel standard barrel (18.5" barrel) with American walnut stock.

Tactical (2) - Alloy Steel bull barrel (16.12") w/Black Hogue OverMolded stock or Alloy Steel standard barrel (16.12" w/flash suppressor) w/black synthetic stock.

There are also multiple Talo versions. See http://www.ruger.com/products/1022DE/models.html. I believe you'll find others listed at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruger_10/22. And remember, this doesn't cover the versions made specifically for Wal-Mart.

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yep the steel feed lip Butlers or the BX-25 mags are probably the best from all reports.

How about a variation on the 10/22 itself? Here is my AMT Lightning in stainless:

A pair of my laminates:top is 10/22T, I'm guessing the bottom one is a distributor special.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

That is a very handsome pair of .22's.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by vit View Post
    A pair of my laminates:top is 10/22T, I'm guessing the bottom one is a distributor special.

The heavy barrel on the top rifle looks wavy. Is there some type of spiral fluting to the outside profile?

Bottom one looks like one of Davidsons exclusives.

For a rifle you can find used for $150 , I know folks who have tied up close to $10K in a single gun.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

10/22 is one of my favorite guns. Two very nice versions you have there Vit.
    Face your fear, accept your war.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    The heavy barrel on the top rifle looks wavy. Is there some type of spiral fluting to the outside profile?
    I have the stainless version of that rifle, and yes there is a spiral set of flats on the barrel giving it a fairly nice look. They are not deep but just enough to give a contrast.

10/22t barrel:

Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by vit; 03-12-2014 at 10:12 PM.

While this thread is a little dated, I don't usually come here and I wanted to reply to a post about aftermarket magazines.
    One of the first thing I got after getting my 10/22 about 20 years ago were some Ram-line mags. There have been other posts about the BX mags with the steel lips and holding 25 rounds.
    The smaller of the Ram-line mags I own hold 30 rounds while the larger holds 50.
    *shrugs* Just sayin'.
    “I have little patience with people who take the Bill of Rights for granted. The Bill of Rights, contained in the first ten amendments to the Constitution, is every American’s guarantee of freedom.” - - President Harry S. Truman, “Years of Trial and Hope”

The sky is the limit ... especially when you start creating your own ... in the last year or so I've added an International (Mannlicher style stock) and a Take-Down with the threaded barrel/flash hider that I don't have pictures of. They've all had trigger work done but none are really tricked out ... but here are a few of mine;

My current favorite ...

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by kimberkid View Post
    The sky is the limit ... especially when you start creating your own ... in the last year or so I've added an International (Mannlicher style stock) and a Take-Down with the threaded barrel/flash hider that I don't have pictures of. They've all had trigger work done but none are really tricked out ... but here are a few of mine;
    What do you consider really tricked out? The first and 5th rifles looked tricked out to me.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by ltorlo64 View Post
    What do you consider really tricked out? The first and 5th rifles looked tricked out to me.
    When I said they're not really tricked out I just meant they're not $800+ guns ... they don't have the $200 triggers, lightened bolts, fancy cocking handles, carbon fiber barrels and or stocks like what's available these days ...*they're plinkers. The only reason I have so many is, I like a little variety in my guns, but I also have 4 kids and 8 grand kids ... We don't all go shooting at once but when 3-4 of go out we have come options.

They do have practical upgrades like inexpensive but decent (IMHO) scopes, Volquartsen hammer & spring kit and the extended mag release ... those upgrades cost about $35 and are a huge improvement.

I put the 1st one together 15+ years ago, it's got a Midway barrel & what was an unfinished Fagen stock but the bolt & receiver are stock, for my abilities it still shoots just fine.

The 5th one is actually a Zimmerman receiver, and it has a inexpensive Shaw bull barrel, but except for the hammer kit and mag release, it's bone stock 10-22 guts ... But it suits me just fine

Here are my last two 10-22's ... I've been meaning to get pictures of them and finally took a couple minutes.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast