Thread: 1903 Rock Island Question, worth sporterized?

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

1903 Rock Island Question, worth sporterized?

Found a Rock Island 1903, unfortunately with a fudd stock and front sight, 430,000 range? Needs repark or bluing whatever these were done with, otherwise looks good for $375 Should I grab it? Also saw a Krag with the flip out thingy also sporterized. WTF is with these companies/bubba's? Somebody school me, this is definitely a later, "safe" serial to shoot. I had and sold a 1941 Johnson and still own a 43 Springfield Garand, but never bought a 1903.

Team GunsNet Gold 07/2012 / Super Moderator Gunreference1's Avatar

Try poking around the link below for information on the 1903.

http://m1903.com/

Steve
    After today, it's all historical.

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

1-Pat, I remember cardboard barrels full of military surplus rifles for sale at department stores, hardware store and mail order for $10, $15 & $20 each back in the sixties. I would imagine people thought there was a nearly endless supply of these WWI & WWII surplus bolt rifles. Shotgun News and other publications had articles on how to sporterize and turn the into hunting rifles and many did to save money or as a hobby. Aslo remember, unlike today, the surplus rifles were only a fraction of the cost of good hunting rifles. The inverse is true today with "collectable military rifles" costing more than today's mass production hunting rifles.

As to the specific rifle... A 1903 is one of the more sought after sporterized rifles and brings good money. I've been bottom feeding on sporterized rifle on gunbroker and $375 is about as cheap as a 1903 version goes for if in decent shape. If it has not been refinished and can be returned to original with a replacement stock they run even higher.
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

If it's no permanent changes were made and it can be restored, I'd buy it and restore it - well worth your time and money as this would dramatically increase the value.

If it's beyond that, and you like it, then by all means get it! Especially if the mods were done well.
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Yes the sporterizing comes from the days when these rifles were considered obsolete and a great low cost way to create a varmint or deer rifle on the cheap. Nobody realized the significance of what they were, US Martial Arms. Thanks to the wholesale butchery of so many millions of rifles, the remaining examples are worth a lot more than they use to be. For $375 if a new stock will fix it more or less with a fresh park finish then sure go for it.

yep, if nobody performed ghetto surgery on the metal itself $375 aint bad.

I passed on a Krag carbine last week for $275 just cause it had been drilled/tapped about 10 times . yuck
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Guns Network Lifetime Member #2

Thanks Guys. I put $100 down on it. It will be mine blindly, I didn't even look at the bore. Think the metal will need repark or blue, front sight will need restoration from the monstrosity on it.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Found me a Smith Corona M1903A3 at the pawn shop for $200. No fudd stock, completely original. Stock has "character" (some dings and such) and the finish on the metal is worn. It's just screaming my name right now...
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

So-called "sporterizing" completely trashes an old military weapon.

I recently bought a very nice Remington WW-2 '03, needing no work on the metal, residing in a cut down stock for $200. (out the door). After getting a new stock, and casting about for the various little parts ( whose acquisition costs seem to add up remarkably quickly !), I didn't make a dime. I ended up creating a nice restored ( obviously restored ), representative piece, and it was fun - but NO moneymaker for sure.

Quote Originally Posted by Pat Garrett View Post
    So-called "sporterizing" completely trashes an old military weapon.
    I just move on. If I want a hunting rifle, I look to Tikka, Ruger, Browning, Weatherby, etc. The whole point of

a war rifle is it's original form.