Thread: sporterized mozin 91/30

sporterized mozin 91/30

I just bought a 1934 91/30 and I want to sporterize it. I'm not worried about money, because I really like mosin nagants. I have an archangel stock on the way and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what else I could do. I am going to get the rock solid industries scope mount and bent bolt. And I'd like to put a muzzle break on it as well.

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Mosins are not my thing, just don't have room for another gun and ammo, but I think you came to the right place. Welcome to the board and good luck with the conversion.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Team Gunsnet SILVER 05/2012 deth502's Avatar

the skys the limit. how about letting us know what your particular skill set is afa gunsmithing goes?

Guns Network Contributor 04/2013 El Laton Caliente's Avatar

Welcome to the board!!!

Recrowning the muzzle may be another item for the list...
    We found out what "dealing" with progressive lefties is all about. Our side gives up something, they give up nothing and the progressives come back in a month or a year and want us to give up more... rinse and repeat...

Have you checked out those Timney triggers? I've heard they are a great upgrade.
    Those archangel stocks are pretty cool, I like to get one someday.

Quote Originally Posted by deth502 View Post
    the skys the limit. how about letting us know what your particular skill set is afa gunsmithing goes?

Well honestly this is my first gun. And I have zero gunsmithing skills... but i know of a few shops in town who will gunsmith.

As far as the timney triggers go, I have heard of them and I definitely will be getting one. Especially since there is no modification required to use them with the archangel stock.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ambulanceman View Post
    Well honestly this is my first gun.
    Then I would suggest you not dump money into your Mosin and instead work on building a gun collection.

Go buy a Ruger .22 and lots of ammo and work on your shooting fundamentals.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

I just bought a 1934 91/30 and I want to sporterize it. I'm not worried about money, because I really like mosin nagants. I have an archangel stock on the way and I was wondering if anyone had any ideas for what else I could do. I am going to get the rock solid industries scope mount and bent bolt. And I'd like to put a muzzle break on it as well.
    Welcome to Gunsnets C&R forums. Talk of Sporterizing a classic military arm is ... anti the whole focus of C&R collectors. I read below this is your first rifle. My suggestion is learn the weapon as built and don't ... ahem ... improve it. IMHO the weapon is perfect as is because that's the way the Russians built it. It is a hunk of world history. That rifle may have killed Nazi's on the Eastern Front of WWII.

Frankly the weapon will retain more dollar value if you don't improve it. As an example when Mosin Nagant rifles first showed up they were around $90 bucks. Some of the first ones in the USA where Finnish Mosin rifles. Today the Finnish mosin rifles ae hitting up around $400 to $600 bucks in some cases. How much did you pay for yours just recently? I've been at this stuff for a long long time. I've seen many Sporterized martial arms that aren't worth the price of all the components added to them or the gunsmith fees paid to change them. In the end of you want a Deer Rifle, just go buy a; Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Remington etc. My 2 cents on it. It is your rifle so it is up to you in the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Welcome to Gunsnets C&R forums. Talk of Sporterizing a classic military arm is ... anti the whole focus of C&R collectors. I read below this is your first rifle. My suggestion is learn the weapon as built and don't ... ahem ... improve it. IMHO the weapon is perfect as is because that's the way the Russians built it. It is a hunk of world history. That rifle may have killed Nazi's on the Eastern Front of WWII.

Frankly the weapon will retain more dollar value if you don't improve it. As an example when Mosin Nagant rifles first showed up they were around $90 bucks. Some of the first ones in the USA where Finnish Mosin rifles. Today the Finnish mosin rifles ae hitting up around $400 to $600 bucks in some cases. How much did you pay for yours just recently? I've been at this stuff for a long long time. I've seen many Sporterized martial arms that aren't worth the price of all the components added to them or the gunsmith fees paid to change them. In the end of you want a Deer Rifle, just go buy a; Ruger, Winchester, Savage, Remington etc. My 2 cents on it. It is your rifle so it is up to you in the end.
    I paid $179 before taxes. I would like to get another mosin to keep original. However, I really like the look of the archangel stock. And, as far as I know, the archangel has the potential of making it more accurate. I'm not looking for a deer rifle (although it will be used as such a little). I just want a gun that I can make my own and become good with.

But, I do understand the argument. That's why I posted this. I wanted to see the pros and cons of modernizing a Morin. So thanks for the advice

I always like to read folks talking about Mosin Nagant's. You get the full spectrum of gun people, some will cuss others out for changing one, and some will spend $1000plus to change one. That's the great thing about them, it's an iconic firearm. 17million made and cheap to buy, collect or convert...to each his own.

id tend to agree with funky, more guns instead!! although im not so sure on the recommendation to buy a 22lr, with the way ammo availability is going.

its your rifle, you cut the shit out of that thing. ive seen much nice, much more expensive, much more collectible rifles ruined by some guy with a hacksaw. make it your own if you want.

that said, schutez does make a good point. you should definitely realize that you are about to take a $175 rifle, put $1000 worth of work into it, and end up with a $150 rifle.

if you are just looking for a scoped "accurate" rifle, instead of dumping $$$$ into the mosin, id recommend picking up one of the cheaper savages or remingtons that will come with a scope mounted already for around $350, much less than you are going to end up dumping into the mosin just to end up with an inferior rifle, not ot mention a much wider selection of available calibers to choose from.

but if you just want to mess with the mosin, go for it. the "purists" may give you shit, but hey, my buddy just bought a brand new 2014 f-350, and before he put a mile on it, he put new rims, big expensive mud tires, and all kinds of useless shit on it, a rifle is no different.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Actually a firearm is different, especially old Martial Arms. The Firearm can go up in value, the vehicle devalues the second you drive it off the lot and is NEVER worth what you paid for it again.

I would advise ambulanceman to hang on to the original stock and keep the modifications to things that can be undone. This way in the future you could restore it to "As Original" condition and protect your initial investment. One last thing, I'm not sure if you know this but all the surplus ammunition is corrosive and it will rust the bore and the bolt system inside and out if you do not clean it correctly. The priming compound has a salt material in it that absorbs water and makes acid. The simplest way to clean is to use hot soapy water FIRST to scrub and soak this salt material out with. Then dry the weapon, (blow dryer works good for this) and oil it up to prevent moisture induced rust. More techniques exist but this is the lowest cost solution. People also use Windex to squirt down the bore or on the bolt parts, it does work but you have to work at it a bit harder. The advantage is you can do this at a range. Also high Ammonia content bore cleaners will also help kill the salts, much scrubbing with a bore brush is required with a 5 minute soak time between scrubbings is recommended. Then patch it out with 1 patch and repeat the bore cleaner with brush and wait.

Last advise is to check the weapon each day for a week to make sure you're not getting any rust going on. I've seen very rare Mosins and Tokerev rifles ruined by people that shot corrosive surplus ammo in them and they didn't clean correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    I would advise ambulanceman to hang on to the original stock and keep the modifications to things that can be undone. This way in the future you could restore it to "As Original" condition and protect your initial investment.
    That was my plan. The only thing I'm going to do that is "invasive" is install the rsi scope mount which requires three holes to be drilled and tapped in the receiver.

Thank you for the cleaning advice as well

bent bolts and threaded muzzles are irreversible as well.

frankly, ive always been fond of the straight bolt for an open sight or scout scoped rifle.

I paid $179 before taxes. I would like to get another mosin to keep original. However, I really like the look of the archangel stock. And, as far as I know, the archangel has the potential of making it more accurate. I'm not looking for a deer rifle (although it will be used as such a little). I just want a gun that I can make my own and become good with.

But, I do understand the argument. That's why I posted this. I wanted to see the pros and cons of modernizing a Morin. So thanks for the advice

I have the same thing. I recently bought a 91/30, matching #'s, like new bore..very nice piece. I realize its not worth much, then again I didnt buy it to make money. I bought it to do whatever I want. I'm going to sporterize it also w/the archangel stock, rock solid scope mount, trigger mod, bent bolt kit. After taking a good look at my Mosin I kinda dont want to fuck it up by modifying this nice piece I have. Well..the guy I bought it from at the gun show has some without the stock for $65..perfect. I'll buy that and modify it instead of my nice one.
    -=Alex=-
    Please send me a message of ANY and ALL server / forum / site related issues that need to be addressed. This does not include personal problems with users or moderators. Dont ask me for help on posting a picture, video or whatever in a thread. Ask someone else. I'm busy.