Thread: really dumb question.

Guns Network Contributor 03/2015 jakebrake's Avatar

really dumb question.

I searched, and didn't find this one, so, I figure i'll ask.

there's a way to modify a steel magazine, so that the bolt will hold open when the magazine goes empty.

how would one do this?

(told you it was a stupid question)

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    There are factory mags that have bolt hold open followers. Specifically the Yugo mag has a follower that stops the bolt from closing. There are some very rare Chinese mags that also have bolt stop followers. Just remember that removing the mag slams the bolt home.

You could probably add some weld to the rear of the follower to keep the bolt from sliding over it, but you could also cause an alignment problem with the rounds if you did it wrong.

it's not a stupid question.
    It's the #2 thing that sucks about AK's

( Shitty sights being #1 )

Unless it's a special AK , you could always shop around for the BHO kit saigas have.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

not special in any way. actually, quite the contrary. the ordinary bottom of the ak barrel. (and yes, the sights are awful at best.) I just have this bizarre idea in my head to make it a reliable accurate monster.

yeah...dumb assed me bought a wasr. I just figure making it one that ak aficionados would look at/fire and be taken aback would be kinda cool.

i'm also just kinda big on the bolt holding open at the end of a magazine would be a good idea. i'm more suited to that.

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

AKs rock.

Just used to it as a KISS carbine. Maybe a red dot and cheap clamp on rail section (for the gas tube) if you need a light. New muzzle device or folding stock if you want those. I think the AR style handguards and lasers and shit are taking it too far for what is supposed to be streamlined assault rifle (now 'tactical carbine').
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    AKs rock.

Just used to it as a KISS carbine. Maybe a red dot and cheap clamp on rail section (for the gas tube) if you need a light. New muzzle device or folding stock if you want those. I think the AR style handguards and lasers and shit are taking it too far for what is supposed to be streamlined assault rifle (now 'tactical carbine').
    no, I agree. the beauty of the Kalashnikov platform is simplicity. you can work on it with basic hand tools, a cup of coffee, and an inkling of how it works. putting a laser on that would be pointless. i'm too old to think that hanging every bell whistle and gong will ever make me cool...I have an ar for that.

I'm not sure where I saw them, but you can buy bolt-hold-open followers and install them in any metal AK mag.

Yes, the bolt will slam closed when you remove the magazine, but you can install a safety lever with a notch cut out to hold the bolt back.