Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had a KB today!

I had a KB today!

Well, to be very honest and upfront about this, I am ashamed and embarrassed to be posting this here. I would almost rather about post some drunken homoerotic summer camp experience in the roadhouse

I shot my first IDPA match today. I think for a beginner I did really well, I am sure my times weren't great but I was very very happy with my accuracy. My pistol was running great too. On the last stage on my 3rd or fourth round POOOF!

I was a little stunned and confused at what had happened, the RO issued a STOP command. I noticed that the slide was locked back which was strange because I knew that I didn't shoot that many rounds. I seem to recall that there was a lot more smoke than usual. my hands stung like someone slapped them very hard. When I looked at them I had a very interesting tiger stripe powder burn pattern on them. The RO and I took my pistol over to the safe are and I field stripped it and we inspected it. Luckily there was no apparent damage, no bulge of the barrel, no bulge in the side, no crack in the frame, no crack in the slide. When the KB happened the mag got kicked out of the bottom of the magwell. The mag looked ok too. I actually got a reshoot of that stage and did very well considering I was still stunned and my hands hurt.

When I got home I detail stripped the pistol and gave it a thorough inspection and didn't find any signs of damage. I am also pretty sure that my G10 grips saved me a couple of hands full of splinters.

So how do I think this happened? I am pretty sure it was a double charge, hence the embarrassment. I feel like I am very careful when I load, I weight around every 10th-15th powder throw as I go, I visually inspect each case before I seat a bullet. A double charge is the number one thing I am worried about when I reload but i seems one snuck through so I am not careful enough. Luckily only my pride was damaged but this is a lesson to me to be extra vigilant. I am not sure how this happened but I will damn sure be extra cautious in the future and I may switch to a powder that requires a larger volume.

I would rather have taken some stitches than blown up my gun. Aside from the cost of replacing it, I really do like that pistol.

So sorry guys, I feel like a real dumbass here. The only reason I am telling all you about it is to drive the point home WATCH YOUR F*CKING POWDER THROW! and hopefully save someone else some skin and a gun. OH yea, also, WEAR YOUR F*CKING SAFETY GLASSES. Sometimes guns go boom.

You all might find these pictures interesting.

Its obvious what happened to the round that ruptured. I am assuming that the other round was the next one in the mag. The bullet is pushed was back into the case, there is some flame cutting on the case mouth. I am lucky that it didn't go off or it would have probably destroyed the mag.

Indiana, a state that is trying to remain free.
    Stuff happens, you are just lucky you got out with some temporary tingling in your hand, and a bruised ego. If it was possibly a weak shell, not much of an overcharge could do it, and if there was an unseen crack, a normal charge could do that, so maybe you shouldn't bruise your ego too bad.

thats what happens when:

A. the bullet is seated/pushed back too far.
    B. Your gun fires out of battery.

I've done it a few times. some guns there is no indicator unless it feels like a squib. Every single time it's been 9mm.
    It happens.

a double charge would have really ruined your day.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

I've seen that happen a couple of times when I was shooting IPSC. It sometimes happens. Fortunately you are OK and you didn't have any equipment damage is a cherry on top. May I ask what you load on? Also, assuming it's a progressive, do you recall stepping away while reloading for a moment? The reason I ask is because the two that I've seen; both were Dillon 550s, and one recalled leaving to answer the phone. He figured when he came back he double pumped. Someone once advised that if you ever step away from a 550 to leave it with the handle down. That way when you come back to it you know exactly what's what.
    US Constitution: Article 1 Section 8 Paragraph 4

The Congress shall have Power To establish an uniform Rule of Naturalization

L1a1 I am using a hornady lock n load AP press. It is auto indexing so an interruption shouldn't be an issue. I have been trying to figure out how I could have double pumped it without indexing. It will only dump powder if you raise the ram all of the way to the top and will index as soon as you raise the handle

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    L1a1 I am using a hornady lock n load AP press. It is auto indexing so an interruption shouldn't be an issue. I have been trying to figure out how I could have double pumped it without indexing. It will only dump powder if you raise the ram all of the way to the top and will index as soon as you raise the handle
    Given your presses auto indexing I'd say it is impossible for you to double charge it. You MAY NOT have double charged at all. Cases do fail at times. The case you post shows that it blew out on the bottom of the case near the feed ramp where it is not that well supported. It looks to be .45 ACP but I don't recall you stating the chambering. What band of case is it? I also suspect that it wasn't a +P rated case. Those are a lot thicker in the case head and web and resist this much better than a standard case, chambering is irrelevant. +P cases are tougher.

You haven't mentioned the powder or the charge weight. I believe I said this in another reloading forum post before but here it is again. Avoid, high energy, small charge powders like Bullseye or AA 2. Pick a powder that will give you a full case volume and if you double charge you will have a mess as powder is going to come spilling out of the case when the ram comes down. AA7 or 5 would probably give you that effect.

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Whatever the cause, glad you're not seriously injured and your gun survived without so much as a scratch.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team Guns Network Silver 04/2015 mrkalashnikov's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    Whatever the cause, glad you're not seriously injured and your gun survived without so much as a scratch.
    +1

Coulda been a lot worse.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Given your presses auto indexing I'd say it is impossible for you to double charge it. You MAY NOT have double charged at all. Cases do fail at times. The case you post shows that it blew out on the bottom of the case near the feed ramp where it is not that well supported. It looks to be .45 ACP but I don't recall you stating the chambering. What band of case is it? I also suspect that it wasn't a +P rated case. Those are a lot thicker in the case head and web and resist this much better than a standard case, chambering is irrelevant. +P cases are tougher.

You haven't mentioned the powder or the charge weight. I believe I said this in another reloading forum post before but here it is again. Avoid, high energy, small charge powders like Bullseye or AA 2. Pick a powder that will give you a full case volume and if you double charge you will have a mess as powder is going to come spilling out of the case when the ram comes down. AA7 or 5 would probably give you that effect.

Caliber is .45 acp, brass was winchester, probably from white box as I shoot a lot of that. Load is 5.0gr of bullseye. I will heed your advice on the powder and switch to something that requires more volume.

Site Admin & **Team Gunsnet Silver 12/2012** Richard Simmons's Avatar

Glad you weren't hurt. What gun were you shooting?
    Gunsnet member since 1999
    USN 1978-86
    BCCI Life Member #2068

•" We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm. " George Orwell

Quote Originally Posted by Richard Simmons View Post
    Glad you weren't hurt. What gun were you shooting?
    My Wilson Combat CQB 1911, its the one on the bottom

Its a valuable piece so I would have been destraught if it was destroyed and I really like the pistol. If it was sitting next to a briefcase full of money in a burning building I'd be more inclined to grab the pistol.

what bullet weight/type ?
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Have to agree with this, glad you are alright.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

+2 Glad you came out alright.
    "I will never fail my comrades"

I am by no means an expert and this is just my opinion, but I think your bullets moved back during recoil and caused high pressure.
    Did you check the crimp on any of the unfired rounds?

You've got guts for sharing this with all of us. Just remember failures are gonna happen. This helps us all to learn and be more cautious.

Glad you're okay and thank you...

Also, those are some fine looking pistols.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by NAPOTS View Post
    My Wilson Combat CQB 1911, its the one on the bottom

Nice, very very nice!

Moderator & Team Gunsnet Platinum 07/2011 O.S.O.K.'s Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Darrell View Post
    I am by no means an expert and this is just my opinion, but I think your bullets moved back during recoil and caused high pressure.
    Did you check the crimp on any of the unfired rounds?

You've got guts for sharing this with all of us. Just remember failures are gonna happen. This helps us all to learn and be more cautious.

Glad you're okay and thank you...
    My thought too - definitely check your crimps... just glad you and your pistol are OK!
    ~Nemo me impune lacessit~

Damn that sucks! Ive had one KB back in 94/95 with a Gen1 G23 with Factory fed 180 HS the mag popped out and it burn my hand where the slide meets the frame and turned my hand numb like I hit a tree with a baseball bat (I traded it in where i bought it for the same price i paid a thousand rounds later).........! I also had a issue with my .454casul shaving the heavy rounds and a piece of copper cut the side of my head open "SAFETY GLASSES !" "SAFETY GLASSES !" "SAFETY GLASSES !"

"SAFETY GLASSES !" "SAFETY GLASSES !" "SAFETY GLASSES !
    +1

Normal/reading glasses dont count.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast