Thread: AMD 65 dilema

AMD 65 dilema

So I have an AMD-65 build done years ago when kits sold for a mere $99. It has an extended AMD65 style brake pinned on it bringing it to legal length of 16". Yesterday, WA state legislature passed a bill that will legalize ownership of SBRs (Short Barreled Rifles) in WA, pending governor signature and another 90 days to become active. I am planning on doing a trust and getting this gun converted to legal SBR by filling Form 1 at the ATF. The question is should I try to find a real AMD-65 brake or retrofitting it with a Battlecomp AKBC? I like the look of the AKCB and am not sure I can find a normal AMD 65 brake out there. THe other option is to add a Ak-74 style comp in 7.62x39 configuration from K-Var. I know I can pass the US parts count as I used many others besides the muzzle device. What you think, the Battlecomp AKBC, Standard AMD-65 brake or the AK-74 style comp?

I'd say do whatever you like, it's your gun make it look like you want it to.
    I've got an ADM-65 brake I may be willing to part with, I'll have to think about it though. Got a kit that I want to convert to a 2XTM, not sure if the brake will be needed on such a rifle.

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

My 2 cents is do you want it to look original or do you want to go for more function? Those AMD brakes are nosey as hell. I suspect there are newer flash hider / brake devices that keep things quieter. The big Noveske flash hider would be my pick for most effective on an SBR based on reviews I've read. No personal ownership experience on this one. http://shopnoveske.com/collections/p...-28-for-5-56ar