Thread: Got me another Moist Nugget

Senior Member Aggressive Perfector's Avatar

Got me another Moist Nugget

And Moist doesn't even begin to describe it. It's a 91/30 I picked up at a gun show. Came with the bayonet, the tool kit, some ammo pouches and sling. And it looked like the whole lot of it was just pulled out of a drum of cosmoline and thrown in the box. This thing is just caked in it! And my oil bottle is so full of the stuff just... I have never seen one with so much on/ in it! inspecting the rifle was impossible! So I wiped enough away I could make out the Russian markings, and had the dealer push the crud filling the barrel out so I could see if the barrel was in good shape. It is. He was selling it for about $140... Talked him down to $100 and a couple Aluminum AR mags. Once I have this thing cleaned up in a few hours I'll put some pictures up.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

Sounds like a good day! Congratulations. Looking forward to the pictures.
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Contributor 02/2014 FunkyPertwee's Avatar

Is this your first?

Besides the regular clean up, inspection, test fire, and zero, I would check to make the sure the cartridge interrupter is working fine. That way it won't matter if the rims overlap in the magazine. If your interrupter is working fine then stock up on ammo and stripper clips and fill those mag pouches with clipped ammo and your ready to go to war.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Third. The last two didn't come with the extras and had maybe 1/4 of that cosmoline on it. A little time spent with some kerosene to clean the mass of crud, and some scrubbing and they were good to go. This one was full from muzzele to chamber of cosmoline.
    "Never take pity on a blind man. He may not be able to see, but he saves a fortune by getting the butt ugly hookers".

Forum Administrator Schuetzenman's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FunkyPertwee View Post
    Is this your first?

Besides the regular clean up, inspection, test fire, and zero, I would check to make the sure the cartridge interrupter is working fine. That way it won't matter if the rims overlap in the magazine. If your interrupter is working fine then stock up on ammo and stripper clips and fill those mag pouches with clipped ammo and your ready to go to war.
    IF the magazine feeds ammo smoothly its working. If the ammo jams up and you can't seat the next round it isn't.

Quote Originally Posted by Aggressive Perfector View Post
    And Moist doesn't even begin to describe it. It's a 91/30 I picked up at a gun show. Came with the bayonet, the tool kit, some ammo pouches and sling. And it looked like the whole lot of it was just pulled out of a drum of cosmoline and thrown in the box. This thing is just caked in it! And my oil bottle is so full of the stuff just... I have never seen one with so much on/ in it! inspecting the rifle was impossible! So I wiped enough away I could make out the Russian markings, and had the dealer push the crud filling the barrel out so I could see if the barrel was in good shape. It is. He was selling it for about $140... Talked him down to $100 and a couple Aluminum AR mags. Once I have this thing cleaned up in a few hours I'll put some pictures up.
    Of course you realize this post is almost useless without a photograph of said Mosin Nagant right?

Third.
    Nice.

You going to scope any of them?

I have a couple "extra" that I wouldn't mind taking out of military configuration by adding a scout scope mount and long eye relief scope.
    "I'm fucking furious, I'm violently angry, and I like it. If you don't know what that feels like then I feel bad for you"

Let me clarify: Third Mosin that I have purchased and cleaned. The first two were Chinese T53's (M44 clone), one of which was for my brother in law. So I actually only own 2. :P
    For now they're staying in military configuration, but maybe I'll buy another 91/30 and have it drilled and tapped for a scope. Hell, maybe I'll even put a faggy after market stock on it. But these two right here I'm just going to leave as they are. Especially the 91/30. Made in 1940, I can only imagine the places it may have been and what wonderful and terrible things may have been done with it. I don't wanna ruin that aspect of it.

Let me clarify: Third Mosin that I have purchased and cleaned. The first two were Chinese T53's (M44 clone), one of which was for my brother in law. So I actually only own 2. :P
    For now they're staying in military configuration, but maybe I'll buy another 91/30 and have it drilled and tapped for a scope. Hell, maybe I'll even put a faggy after market stock on it. But these two right here I'm just going to leave as they are. Especially the 91/30. Made in 1940, I can only imagine the places it may have been and what wonderful and terrible things may have been done with it. I don't wanna ruin that aspect of it.
    No drill needed:

http://www.amazon.com/Brass-Stacker-.../dp/B00847436S
    http://www.midwayusa.com/product/761...-reticle-matte

Ok, I've changed my mind. Scoping is happening.

Quote Originally Posted by Schuetzenman View Post
    Of course you realize this post is almost useless without a photograph of said Mosin Nagant right?
    I have a couple pictures of it caked in gunk. I have the receiver, barrel, bayonet, tools, and oil bottle pretty well cleaned up, I'm still working on pouring boiling water all over the tub to wash it all down the drain and steam cleaning the stock. I'll have pics by morning.
    Last edited by Aggressive Perfector; 03-30-2014 at 03:10 AM.

Good post with the link. I watched the video, good review.

And now for the photos:
    Oh how I loave the cosmoline!

After 3-4 hours of clean up (not including the time spent cleaning the tub and boiling water to pour down drain):

I'll have more pics including arsenal markings (I believe the markings are Tula) coming once I find a good way to "afro engineer" a tripod for the camera. But after washing the parts in boiling water, oiling them, and sweating most of the cosmoline out of the wood stock with a heat gun I have to say it cleaned up nicely. The stock is hardwood, not laminate and the receiver is date stamped 1940. Can't wait to get this bad s.o.b. out to shoot it. With the bayonet attatched I'm only a few inches taller than the rifle!

Team Gunsnet Platinum 06/2016 ltorlo64's Avatar

I thought my mil surplus rifles and pistols had a lot of cosmoline. Based on your picture mine didn't have any!
    "Nothing ever gets so bad that government "help" can't make it worse." Pat Garrett, March 22, 2014

"HATE IS GOOD, WHEN ITS DIRECTED AT EVIL." PROBASCO, April 20, 2012

I tried to push the envelope, but found that it was stationery.

Have you heard about the new corduroy pillows? They're making head lines!

NRA Endowment Member

Nice looking war rifle, congratz. The 91/30's don't kick near as much as a M44 or T53, they are real fun to shoot.

Looks like a nice one. The cosomoline on it looks like the Albanian SKS rifles had on them. They were buried in it, must of been 3 or 4 lbs. of it on the Albanian SKS rifles I got in stock back in the day. Clearly the only way to get that much on something is to dip it in a vat of molten cosmoline IMO.

When I say the barrel was full of it, I don't mean it just had a lot of it. I mean It was packed solid with no air pockets. When the seller pushed the crap out of the barrel so I could check the crown, chamber and rifling it looked like the barrel was taking a very long shit. I had to wash my hands first thing after just picking up the rifle. I didn't dare put it to my shoulder.

Yeah, that is a lot of cosmoline. My M-44 wasn't bad, but it had been cleaned a bit before I got it. I took the bolt apart and had three shades of cosmoline in it, ranging from yellow to orange to shit brown cake.

Now I have to do a major cosmoline clean on a German made Yugo capture Mod. 98...

Actually, I think the Turk mausers from around 2005-06 that came in had the most by far.

JG had em for $71 shipped a piece and I bought 2 and spent about 45 minutes with a pressure washer on them, then i started wiping them down.
    PRAISE KEK
    FATHER OF CHAOS
    BRINGER OF DAY
    IN THY WEBBED HANDS WE PLACE OUR FAITH
    SHADILAY, SHADILAY!

Team GunsNet Silver 03/2014

Congrats on a nice catch! Have you shot it yet?

Agreed about the Turk Mausers. Many hours of cleanup.

Been working 12 hour days for the past 3 weeks straight, what do you think? :P
    I did pick up a can of ammo for it and am fixing to buy a crate of it though. Got a 3 day weekend starting Friday though, so I think I'll take it out to fire Saturday.